Disappointed by the Mercenary

PirateMouse

I have to say, I really am.

I can remember thinking Merc was the way I'd want to go because hey, guns akimbo goodness! Right?

Except the "guns" barely matter. You're basically either ARSEnal, and you spend all of your time bent over spamming missiles from your back, or you're a healer, and all you do is spam heals.

Or you go Pyrotech, and you're sort of supposedly a little more mobile than the Arsenal spec, but you're still basically just a turret with minimal kiting ability and CC when it comes down to it, only now you have less dps, too. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that pretty much anything a Pyrotech Mercenary can do, a Gunslinger can do better.

It just seems kind of strange to have "look, you get dual pistols!" as a defining feature of the Mercenary, and then you're basically never actually using your pistols.

That's why I wound up going Powertech in the end. If blaster pistols are sort of just barely even incidental to Bounty Hunters most of the time, then the lure of being able to dual wield them is sort of meaningless.

Just my two cents'.

Edited by PirateMouse

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be interesting to know (honestly) what your level is, as i suspect you havent got all your abilities up to 50 (which might change things, although i never tried the Merc tbh)

Also, if youre not enjoying that character, then I would suggest that you would be happier playing something else that fits in with what youre looking for.

Would be interesting to know (honestly) what your level is, as i suspect you havent got all your abilities up to 50 (which might change things, although i never tried the Merc tbh)

I'm basing my information off of videos and descriptions taken from level 50 Mercenaries in both PvE and PvP. So I'd have to say that unless they just had no idea what they were doing, it's good information. Given everyone seems to agree that Arsenal is played primarily by spamming Tracer Missile, while Pyrotech is inferior dps with a very modest mobility improvement, I'm not sure what would change by me gaining a few levels, especially since I wound up choosing not to go the Mercenary route after all.

Speaking of which ...

Also, if youre not enjoying that character, then I would suggest that you would be happier playing something else that fits in with what youre looking for.

That was fully covered in my original post:

That's why I wound up going Powertech in the end.
Edited by PirateMouse

Try speccing Pyrotech, as far as i know it relies heavily on guns abilities!

Or you go Pyrotech, and you're sort of supposedly a little more mobile than the Arsenal spec, but you're still basically just a turret with minimal kiting ability and CC when it comes down to it, only now you have less dps, too. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that pretty much anything a Pyrotech Mercenary can do, a Gunslinger can do better.

Seriously, what's with all the people replying without even reading the post first? :rolleyes:

I also took the Merc class at level 10. I just recently hit 25, and the further I level, the less I enjoy the AC. Wish I went Powertech instead.

I specced into the Pyro tree, mainly because I didn't like the fact that I had to spam Tracer Missile multiple times to achieve decent damage output. Pyro tends to be a little more mobile as well, allowing an easier time in pvp for me.

Since Incendiary Missile and Rail Shot are both instant casts, along with majority of the abilities in my rotation, mobility is pretty decent for Pyro Mercs and damage is respectable.

I've answered after reading your post, it seems that you were disappointed cause you do not use you guns so much. I'm not english native so i might have misread it, is this the case?

I've said that going pyrotech you will rely on your guns abilities more often = you will use more your guns!

--

EDIT

NVM i've just missed the part where you were talking about pyro! :p

Edited by Massenburg

I agree, but i do use the blasters alot, i use Power Shot mainly and it works well as a replacement for missiles.

I must say though, it is still dull as you said to have dual blasters and your main attack is a sloooooow charge 2 bolts of energy...

I also expected way more, i expected blaster bolts to be flying all across the room, maybe low damage per hit but massive rate of fire being laid down on the enemy. Needless to say, while i did learn to enjoy it somewhat, it is NOT what i hoped for.

But then again it is the same with the Trooper i think, i expected the big assault cannon guy to be like a maniac machine gunner, but it seems it is more of a healer TF2 style and lobbing grenades, again.

I hope Bioware is not completely disregarding class rebalances or redesigns at some point in the future.

Op basicly says that he want's to see more blasters, less rockets. Did I get it ?

So this are pure "bolter" using skills:

Unload

Power Shot,

Sweeping Strikes

basic attack (which we use all the time becouse of heat system).

Enough IMHO, but thats my opinion, we are heavy walking tanks using rockets, rails and torching everything, not gunslingers (they are on republic side) ;]

Anyway, its totally possible to spec to use those pure blaster skills in main dps rotation if U want (deep arsenal, some pyro+bodyguard).

(I use power shot as my main burst ability, it doesnt overheat me like tracer. )

Mercenary ftw!

Cheers ;]

I'm kind of in this group too. I went Mercenary as I played a tank in previous MMO's and fancied a change (so didn't go Powertech). I don't like the idea of healing as I'm not efficient at keeping myself alive as it is never mind other people, so mainly specing Arsenal seemed like the way to go.

I'm only a couple levels into being a Merc so I have a lot left to experience, it just isn't "as good" as I was hoping it was going to be. In fact I really wish I had went Powertech.

Still I'm enjoying playing the game so I'll stick with it.

Edited by NinjaTriForce

I think my Galaxies BH has forever ruined the experience here.

The BH was going to be my main in this game to continue my legacy from the other title, but the more i played it, the less and less I felt like a BH from the Star Wars trilogy and more and more something else as seen in books and other things.

As a result, the BH is now my soloist character and project - maybe at 50 I'll rediscover the love I once had, but I no longer have the burning desire to play a BH.

I understand that BH come/came in all different sizes and varieties, however, I feel the BH has gone way over the extreme direction of anti-trilogy -- and some of us really do enjoy the Boba Fett prototype.

Neither the Merc or the Pyrotech gives me that satisfaction and joy I had in Galaxies.

How about you stop complaining on a forum where very few people care and will only suggest you make a new character and go make a new character.

Also its no different than most MMO's you use the skills your given and use the best ones and to be honest if your not using your blasters your doing something wrong. In the rotation you use [unload] which is a barrage of blasters and even [Rapid Shots] to help control your heat level.

I'm thinking that you're focusing on one target too much. Granted there are times you have to watch aggro, but your spammable AOE is a blaster skill and your heat controlling rotation includes blasters. There is even a strategy on some of the tougher bosses to use hammer shot while using your heat to heal while your companion does the heavy lifting. I guess what I am saying is that you appear to be backing yourself into a corner. It's true that tracer missile is a missle and it is intended to be spammed but only against a single target and you're not always in that position. Even when you are, heat is an issue and requires blaster fire to control.

Considering unload is part of the rotation and rapid shots is the default heat dump, I don't think the OP has a clue.

+1

tracer, tracer, rapid, unload, rapid, rapid, tracer, tracer, rail. unload whenever it procs and i have the heat to spare (or vent is off cd). I'm not saying thats the best rotation out there (I havent done nearly enough math and with no combat log parses, its all but impossible to theorycraft), but less than half of your rotation seems to use missles. :cool:

Its much more than "being bent over all the time." If you're not seeing that, you're not playing it nearly to its full potential.

+1

tracer, tracer, rapid, unload, rapid, rapid, tracer, tracer, rail. unload whenever it procs and i have the heat to spare (or vent is off cd). I'm not saying thats the best rotation out there (I havent done nearly enough math and with no combat log parses, its all but impossible to theorycraft), but less than half of your rotation seems to use missles. :cool:

Its much more than "being bent over all the time." If you're not seeing that, you're not playing it nearly to its full potential.

My rotation is

TMX3 (or till signature is at 5)

Rail

Unload

Rapid

Reapeat

I never have a problem with Heat doing this and if I need to use another skill out of the moment or something unexpected I will vent after or when needed and repeat.

I think my Galaxies BH has forever ruined the experience here.

The BH was going to be my main in this game to continue my legacy from the other title, but the more i played it, the less and less I felt like a BH from the Star Wars trilogy and more and more something else as seen in books and other things.

As a result, the BH is now my soloist character and project - maybe at 50 I'll rediscover the love I once had, but I no longer have the burning desire to play a BH.

I understand that BH come/came in all different sizes and varieties, however, I feel the BH has gone way over the extreme direction of anti-trilogy -- and some of us really do enjoy the Boba Fett prototype.

Neither the Merc or the Pyrotech gives me that satisfaction and joy I had in Galaxies.

How is it anti-trilogy? Mandalorians, and the Fetts specifically, were loaded down with weapons of all types and used whatever was best at the moment. They didn't just run around shooting their blasters and nothing else. Blasters, flamethrowers, hand missiles, darts, rockets, whatever they could.

My rotation is

TMX3 (or till signature is at 5)

Rail

Unload

Rapid

Reapeat

I never have a problem with Heat doing this and if I need to use another skill out of the moment or something unexpected I will vent after or when needed and repeat.

Fairly close. Once you get the 33% bonus to unload, its probably the best damage/heat ability you get bar heatseeker. Oh, and only 1 tracer after rail for me. So long as Im not chaining skills like that for a minute+ (with no rapids inbetween) and I get a couple good crits on tracer, heat's hardly an issue for me either.

And considering I have 33% crit when buffed, I crit tracer a lot. :)