what about those of us locked out by the new patch?

nobodytoo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that some have issues even if 50 - 100 people it is a very small percentage, but then most of us had no issue , which doesn't help those affected of course or any less frustrating.

quite a lot of those have gotten back in game already

What exactly is it doing for you and can you post your client_settings file and what steps have you tried ?

Edit - Loading screen issue can be a net issue but then it can be a AV/Firewall issue or a game file issue and finally a server issue, but when server it usually affects every one at the same time , or same location (instance).

Edited by OwenBrooks

i'm in this bunch: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=702292

essentially, crashes my display driver over and over while it's trying to load. (others get a BSOD, "luckily" i just get a CTD). yes, driver is up to date. yes, tried various compatibility modes. no overlays running. attempted manually ending the catalyst control center before running it. tried using admin mode.

it seems to be affecting a large group of people, all of us using AMD radeon video cards.

I know that some have issues even if 50 - 100 people it is a very small percentage, but then most of us had no issue , which doesn't help those affected of course or any less frustrating.

quite a lot of those have gotten back in game already

What exactly is it doing for you and can you post your client_settings file and what steps have you tried ?

Edit - Loading screen issue can be a net issue but then it can be a AV/Firewall issue or a game file issue and finally a server issue, but when server it usually affects every one at the same time , or same location (instance).

What steps? You looked at this thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=702292 right? You couldn't possibly have missed it right?

As I told you in a different thread, I have tried everything in that thread, that doesn't refer to the Streaming %#$@ Launcher (because I don't have it), short of uninstalling the game, and spending another 2 days to reinstall it.

This issue, is clearly on BW's end. Worse still, this is the third time I have been plagued with an Infinite Loading Screen before the Character Selection screen. Actually, discussing it is pointless. I think I'll just unsubscribe.

If I'm not able to get in by Friday, I'll probably unsubscribe.

I'm sorry, losing most of a week due to shoddy patch design is unacceptable. Having no response despite posting and providing information to BW to help resolve my issue is unacceptable. Having to waste phone minutes and rack up charges calling a customer support line that isn't toll free is unacceptable.

My guild doesn't need me that badly. I don't need SWTOR that badly.

And my boyfriend hates SWTOR anyway, it's probably for the best. :|

Edited by Beslley

If I'm not able to get in by Friday, I'll probably unsubscribe.

I'm sorry, losing most of a week due to shoddy patch design is unacceptable.

My guild doesn't need me that badly. I don't need SWTOR that badly.

And my boyfriend hates SWTOR anyway, it's probably for the best. :|

Ya, the last time this happened it took 3 to 5 days for it to be fixed.

I'm not made of money. If it's not fixed by Friday, I myself will be gone.

not saying its not an issue.

but why haven't i EVER been plagued with the infinite loading screen or any game breaking bugs of the sort. and yet there's posters in here who claim they've been burdened by this problem 3 times or more.

how is something that never happens to me and consistently happening to you. it doesn't seem its totally on bioware's fault..

you have a PC the same as me. We connect to the internet. i'm not understand how people end up with these issues.

Edited by keysmachine

not saying its not an issue.

but why haven't i EVER been plagued with the infinite loading screen or any game breaking bugs of the sort. and yet there's posters in here who claim they've been burdened by this problem 3 times or more.

how is something that never happens to me and consistently happening to you. it doesn't seem its totally on bioware's fault..

you have a PC the same as me. We connect to the internet. i'm not understand how people end up with these issues.

So you're saying my clean run of disk check and memtest are null and void? That my fiddling around with safe mode is moot? Are you seriously, seriously implying that it's on my end?

Are you implying that those with AMD cards who are BSOD/CTDing are all responsible for the way SWTOR runs on their machine?

...Are you daft?

Edited by Beslley

I'm the same with never had an issue patching and with 4 instance of fleet running last night on harbinger same for a lot of others, doesn't help these guys though, different systems, different hardware, different causes , why quite a few things have helped others and not some.

Doesn't lower the frustration level for them, and sometimes it is hard to help them as they are frustrated and just want to lash out at someone.

Edited by OwenBrooks

So you're saying my clean run of disk check and memtest are null and void? That my fiddling around with safe mode is moot? Are you seriously, seriously implying that it's on my end?

Are you implying that those with AMD cards who are BSOD/CTDing are all responsible for the way SWTOR runs on their machine?

...Are you daft?

my system is built like yours.

please continue though.

...Are you daft?

Ya, for giggles, I've just listed most of the things I have tried on: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=702292

My firewall isn't the issue, and Microsoft Security Essentials hasn't picked up anything. So, I'm pretty certain it isn't on my end.

I'm the same with never had an issue patching and with 4 instance of fleet running last night on harbinger same for a lot of others, doesn't help these guys though, different systems, different hardware, different causes , why quite a few things have helped others and not some.

Doesn't lower the frustration level for them, and sometimes it is hard to help them as they are frustrated and just want to lash out at someone.

*Cough* Uh, ya, sorry. That would be me.

*Cough* Uh, ya, sorry. That would be me.

Its understandable so I try not to take it personnel :)

in your client_settings file try changing GraphicsQuality = 5 to = 0

seems AMD has an issue in directdraw and possibly fixed in the latest beta (not sure if related yet) http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=443&entercat=y

Edit - your drivers are from 2012 though , that may cause issues as well if trying to use something implemented later , I guess you tried as single monitor on the 1920 x 1080 monitor

Edited by OwenBrooks

Its understandable so I try not to take it personnel :)

in your client_settings file try changing GraphicsQuality = 5 to = 0

seems AMD has an issue in directdraw and possibly fixed in the latest beta (not sure if related yet) http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=443&entercat=y

Edit - your drivers are from 2012 though , that may cause issues as well if trying to use something implemented later , I guess you tried as single monitor on the 1920 x 1080 monitor

The bolded is correct. I've had no issues prior to waking up today. In actuality, I downloaded, installed, and started up the game entirely without problem last night.

I fiddled with the Full Screen settings in game to try and deal with another issue. . . Information I never mentioned that I probably should have.

It wasn't until attempting to log on for the first time today that I started hitting the infinite loading screen.

EDIT: AMD has a bad reputation when it comes to drivers, and as I tend to play a lot of older games, I try my utmost to avoid updating Graphics Card Drivers, as they usually break more than they fix in my experience.

EDIT 2: Setting GraphicsQuality to 0 has not fixed the issue. I may end up trying that Beta Driver simply for lack of better options (and probably failing).

Edited by Legowaffles

Infinite loading screen is different to the crashes talked about in that thread and are/can be totally different causes and solutions

Edit - sorry I have been working under the assumption you had the same issue as the others in that thread, will have another look

Edited by OwenBrooks

Basic steps for infinite loading screen , will go over them

As the original patcher (non Bitraider) goto the game folders and delete the file called retailclient_swtor.version and delete file called DiskCacheArena and of cause run the repair on the launcher itself after login (lower left cog).

This can also be caused by a communication issue , hence removing and re-adding exceptions for launcher.exe and swtor.exe to the exception lists

some though have weird solutions - but I see you have seen this one - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=685189

One guy last night had a working game on his laptop and copied the game files over and that fixed his loadingscreen issue, didn't help working out the original cause but it fixed his issue.

Edit - I have seen certain instances have issues and this is server side like TOFN a few days back

Edit - and net issues affecting one server but fine on other servers/regions

Edited by OwenBrooks

Basic steps for infinite loading screen , will go over them

As the original patcher (non Bitraider) goto the game folders and delete the file called retailclient_swtor.version and delete file called DiskCacheArena and of cause run the repair on the launcher itself after login (lower left cog).

This can also be caused by a communication issue , hence removing and re-adding exceptions for launcher.exe and swtor.exe to the exception lists

some though have weird solutions - but I see you have seen this one - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=685189

One guy last night had a working game on his laptop and copied the game files over and that fixed his loadingscreen issue, didn't help working out the original cause but it fixed his issue.

Edit - I have seen certain instances have issues and this is server side like TOFN a few days back

Edit - and net issues affecting one server but fine on other servers/regions

Just deleted both the retailclient_swtor.version and DiskCacheArena files. Am running the repair now. Will update this post as I continue.

EDIT: That didn't fix it, going to remove and readd the exceptions to the windows firewall.

EDIT: You'll forgive me if I wonder why removing and adding it back to the firewall's exception list works. I don't think I've ever seen that as a suggestion for other online games before.

Either way, it worked, and I'm at character selection again finally. Thanks.

Edited by Legowaffles

Good to hear mate, it is a common thing these days

Some AVs take note of the file size of the EXE files and after a patch they are no longer identical so the exception fails, removing and re-adding gets it to reset the size part again and recognize the exception.

Good to hear mate, it is a common thing these days

Some AVs take note of the file size of the EXE files and after a patch they are no longer identical so the exception fails, removing and re-adding gets it to reset the size part again and recognize the exception.

It wasn't an AV I removed and added it from.

It was the Windows Firewall.

I'm having this issue, it's fun isn't it. I remember having this issue before too, which means they either did a shoddy job fixing it the first time, or just screwed up. I'm sure it will be fixed by the time my subscription for this month is over though (it's at the end of the month) if not i'll leave and come back in a few months.

a giant thread over in the customer service tab, and the only dev response has been "send us your reports." is this being worked on? is there a patch on the horizon? what about the (paid) time we're losing?

It's because they need to figure out what is causing the problem.

A particular OS?

A particular graphics card?

Xfire?

They need to know what everyone's computers have in common so they can identify the cause.