@EA. Just so you know. I'm not spending a dime on Anthem

OneHit

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Taking money and resources from this game which I actually loved to some generic looking online shooter will not translate to me spending money on said generic shooter. I would gladly buy more real story expansions for THIS game but Anthem can go burn in a fire as far as I'm concerned. You already sacrificed Mass Effect on the altar of this Destiny wannabe, please don't sacrifice SWtOR too. Edited by Nefla

I won't be spending a dime on Anthem either. And if SWTOR dies, not a penny of mine will go to EA ever again. It is the only game of theirs I care about, and the lackluster support for it has made me reluctant to try their other titles.

But I am willing to spend some money here. On REAL expansions. How much you want? 60? 120? Make the game an ill pay it.

Honestly, I would much rather fork over the cash for a meaty expansion than get a crumb for free. At least they are not charging us for their crumbs, so it could be worse. Not that I'd want it to be, of course.

But I am willing to spend some money here. On REAL expansions. How much you want? 60? 120? Make the game an ill pay it.

If you cant do this why should I ever buy another EA title again? I won't. Ill stop playing FIFA an Madden.

I have no problems paying for an expansion, as long as it ensured we got significantly more content than we're getting.

The Anthem will probably also go the way the other EA online franchises go, it will get supported a bit while its shiny and new with the content but in the end the players there will also be nickel & dimed with the minimal amount of the content the EA will be putting into the game.

I mean after we saw how SWTOR is treated and supported why would we believe as players how it will be any different and better with that other game ?

Edited by Lunablade

You know what would be funny yet tragic? If Anthem failed. EA seems to be invested into it big time. They had the option of reinvesting into SWTOR and making more out of it, but they clearly see investment into Anthem paying off much more and being less risky in comparison. They are probably right though, and while it is their business and their right, it can certainly be considered immoral in a way.

Once Anthem is out, I wonder what kind of excuse, valid or otherwise, they'll give if they continue to refuse giving SWTOR the love it deserves.

After all, it is our money and our time coming from the game. Keep it up, and no one is going to want to do business with them or buy from them. At least not us. Though I suspect that'll be a while yet, since EA has lasted this long.

It is not out of the realm of possibilities for this White Knight to turn grey. I hope it doesn't have to come to that, and that within the deepest crevices of my wettest dreams, EA will focus on mending their reputation instead of continuing along the path of no return, pun intended.

You know what would be funny yet tragic? If Anthem failed. EA seems to be invested into it big time. They had the option of reinvesting into SWTOR and making more out of it, but they clearly see investment into Anthem paying off much more and being less risky in comparison. They are probably right though, and while it is their business and their right, it can certainly be considered immoral in a way.

Once Anthem is out, I wonder what kind of excuse, valid or otherwise, they'll give if they continue to refuse giving SWTOR the love it deserves.

After all, it is our money and our time coming from the game. Keep it up, and no one is going to want to do business with them or buy from them. At least not us. Though I suspect that'll be a while yet, since EA has lasted this long.

It is not out of the realm of possibilities for this White Knight to turn grey. I hope it doesn't have to come to that, and that within the deepest crevices of my wettest dreams, EA will focus on mending their reputation instead of continuing along the path of no return, pun intended.

We're a drop in the bucket compared to their worldwide sports titles. I'm sure they'll be broken up about it...

+1 from me on this.

If/When EA has ****** me off enough to actually turn away from *Star Wars* and its 40 year enjoyment then there's no way a game with no more *Substance then Click, Run, Shoot will ever generate any Interest from me....Or money.

Burning a bridge on that level wouldn't be forgotten.

P.S. I would pay for expansions; the more they do the more they get, pretty much the overall message throughout this game.

Edited by MikeCobalt

Agreed. Taking money and resources from this game which I actually loved to some generic looking online shooter will not translate to me spending money on said generic shooter. I would gladly buy more real story expansions for THIS game but Anthem can go burn in a fire as far as I'm concerned. You already sacrificed Mass Effect on the altar of this Destiny wannabe, please don't sacrifice SWtOR too.

I'm not someone who does a lot of posting on forums, but I do read. And I had to add my voice in saying, I agree whole heartedly with what you said.

EA/BioWare - I have bought, sometimes more than once over the years depending on circumstances, every BioWare game. But I will not be buying into Anthem. I am currently still a subscriber to SWTOR and it does not make me happy when I hear resources are being diverted to Anthem from this game. What I want is more story, better written thoughtout story than has been provided over the last year. Maybe even two years. I took a year off to play some other titles (and I was still subscribed btw) and when I got back there were only TWO flashpoints for my characters to play through! I'm not someone who gets into the group content much. I haven't since a buddy of mine lost interest in the game before you could get chapter 10 of KOTFE out. I'm still here but I enjoy playing it solo, like other BW RPGs. You want to know what I call "content"? Story I can play through solo and while I enjoy this game I have to say to me the best story content you've delivered was in Chapters 1-3 of the class stories from the earliest parts of the game.

I'm right there with all of you. I have zero interest in an FPS. It's incredibly stupid to put all their eggs in the Anthem basket. It's like they assume that any players that leave this game will come back, waving their cash at Anthem. Nope, many players are here because it's a Star Wars game, to assume they'll transfer over to something that is completely unrelated in content and style is just plain foolish.

Since SOE pushed the CU with SWG, I've spent exactly $29.98 (2 accounts for one month after the second NGE) on any of their products.

Since Blizzard pushed Cataclysm, I've spent the cost of 2 copies of Overwatch for my kids, but nothing more.

I have no problem at all boycotting game companies that I feel screw over their customers.

I love BW's games (especially their Pre-EA games). But if EA is going to abandon a nearly quarter of a billion dollar investment, then I have no problem at all abandoning any support for their future.

I'm sure there will be other things to occupy my leisure time. Things less stressful than fretting over the future of a game that still has so much potential if it were in the right hands.

Personally, I've seen nothing in Anthem so far that interests me. I look to Bioware for story, characters, and worldbuilding. To me, these do not appear to be the pillars on which Anthem is built. I see more of these things in SWTOR - even with a sparse story-content release schedule. There is just so much story already here. Edited by Estelindis

I won't be spending a dime on Anthem either. And if SWTOR dies, not a penny of mine will go to EA ever again. It is the only game of theirs I care about, and the lackluster support for it has made me reluctant to try their other titles.

Honestly, I would much rather fork over the cash for a meaty expansion than get a crumb for free. At least they are not charging us for their crumbs, so it could be worse. Not that I'd want it to be, of course.

This is me already after Andromeda getting no DLCs. SWTOR is now the only EA game I will continue to support so if it goes no more EA $$ from me.

Personally, I've seen nothing in Anthem so far that interests me. I look to Bioware for story, characters, and worldbuilding. To me, these do not appear to be the pillars on which Anthem is built. I see more of these things in SWTOR - even with a sparse story-content release schedule. There is just so much story already here.

Exactly. Who hears BioWare and thinks "online, co-op, microtransaction FPS"? Nobody because that's not the kind of game BioWare has EVER made let alone the kind of game that made them successful and well loved. EA has many other branches and studios that could be making this kind of thing but they choose to gut BioWare for it instead. EA bought them in the first place because of their success making single player, story and character driven RPGs and now they're chasing off all the developers that once made the company great and not letting the remaining ones play to their strengths let alone giving them the time and resources needed to make a good game.

On the face of it, just stepping back and looking at what EA is doing with Anthem, it's fairly obvious.

There is no intention -- either on the part of EA and/or Disney -- to continue the SWTOR contract beyond its original conclusion in 2023. Therefore, because EA will be losing the license to market products based on another corporation's intellectual property, EA is pursuing the most natural course in developing entirely its own IP (Anthem). No 3rd party involvement in its ownership.

So while people play SWTOR to whatever extent they will for as long as it lasts, please turn your attention to Disney.

And once you've turned your attention to Disney, consider this:

Disney will put the next company through the same intellectual property mill that it did with Sony (SWG) and EA (SWTOR).

So, with Disney's demonstrably habit-forming (twice-now) practice mentioned above, the broader question becomes:

When Disney signs yet a third, finite, limited, IP-marketing contract with yet another software house (name any you like, doesn't matter), do we -- the Star Wars-loving player base -- put ourselves through the wringer a third time?

Are we really going to walk into another situation forking over more money for another subscription, more money for more micro-transactions, all the while forking over our time by treading the hamster wheel of perpetual grind number next that the as-of-yet unselected software house will inevitably put its players through?

Block out of your mind for a moment EA and all other games from all other sources, and ask yourselves:

Will we really sit here and do all of the above again for yet another SW MMO?

Doesn't matter which software house takes on the next Star Wars MMO, doesn't matter how great anyone thinks it is, doesn't matter how fun it may become, the bigger picture to pay attention to is the confirmed, established pattern by these software houses -- a pattern forced onto them by not having an open-ended intellectual property agreement with Disney, and that pattern works like this:

7 years into the contract with Disney, that next software house will think to itself, oh, gee, we'd better get on the ball and create a product with our own intellectual property, because in one game development cycle, we lose the IP license to market our current product and therefore must shut down the current game.

Do we really put ourselves through this cycle a third time with yet another Star Wars MMO when it comes out, knowing now the finite nature of the life cycles of MMOs imposed on these software houses by the onerous nature of the time-limited intellectual property license Disney doles out to them?

Everquest launched in 1999 (19 years). Still going.

Everquest II launched in 2004 (14 years this August). Still going.

Wow launched in 2004 (14 years this November). Still going.

And others, also long-lived.

The next Star Wars MMO?

Good luck on a 7-year run and then a (maybe) 3-year downward death spiral until the Disney contract ends.

Again.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Um, Disney didn't even own Star Wars when SWG was running...I completely blame EA for this debacle. They're a studio killer, they're known for it and BioWare is next on the chopping block. Edited by Nefla

Um, Disney didn't even own Star Wars when SWG was running...I completely blame EA for this debacle. They're a studio killer, they're known for it and BioWare is next on the chopping block.

I'm aware of that. But what a world of difference an open-ended IP license would have made.

Star Wars Galaxies launched June 26, 2003, closed 2011-12

Published by LucasArts. Closed after licensing with LucasArts ceased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybreak_Game_Company

Edited by xordevoreaux

I'll /sign too.

The gaming world is fast becoming nothing but shooters and one more on the pile isn't going to distinguish the company in any way. Whatever happened to providing clientele with variety and choices? Many people like me don't like shooters, and those like my son for example that do, has his favorites, he plays those and he regards anything else as a 'clone' and he turns his nose up to it. He completely snubbed the idea of Anthem and says he'll never play it, he has enough of a variety of shooters that he doesn't care about it...there's nothing unique or interesting about it.

Star Wars is an amazing property and like others have said, I too, would pay for a proper and decent expansion. I've been known to shell out upwards of $60 for a decent expansion. I would happily do it, and happily demand they 'keep it coming'.

I will not buy Anthem, cause I have no interest in it and my son has had enough of them, he's had his fill, so he doesn't want it either...nor my hubby, who loathes FPS. He's gone back to Conan until SWTOR gets its act together, assuming it ever will again.

So, I say: NO TO ANTHEM.YES TO SWTOR!!

Edited by Lunafox