Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPS Vanguard?

Osocrunk
12.13.2011 , 08:17 AM | #1
I'm leaning towards playing a Vanguard for pvp reasons and I'm not a huge fan of tanking in PVE... how potent are Vanguards at PVE dps if I don't want to tank? Thanks!

airrazr
12.13.2011 , 08:33 AM | #2
I watched many videos of Tactics vanguards, they are devastating when played right.
I don't need magic to win

Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 08:36 AM | #3
In either melee or 10m range, you can put out as much damage as any other DPS spec, provided you spec fully for DPS. The only difference between you and an AC with three DPS trees is you have less variety of damage types, range, and tactics for delivering DPS. But you get a tank spec to make up for that.

Saridan
12.13.2011 , 09:10 AM | #4
In PvP, they have a lot of tools. Playstyle is also dependant on which spec you choose, as the 3 trees do offer a good amount of variety. Assault is more of a run and gun spec that has the most range of the 3. Tactics is a highly mobile 4-10m burst damage spec (Fire pulse is high damage), which also has the flexibility of running Ion Cell for guard (if your secondary tree is shield). The shield tree has a lot of mobility control and survivability along with the benefit of Guard. Storm root and movement speed increase with harpoon root is great. Vanguards are very viable at this point in the game as PvP DPS.

Osocrunk
12.13.2011 , 09:31 AM | #5
Thanks for the replies! I watched a lot of footage on Vanguards in PVP and they seemed to suit my play style but I didn't want to run one if they were not going to be effective dps in PVE as well.

Tohimon
12.13.2011 , 12:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Osocrunk View Post
Thanks for the replies! I watched a lot of footage on Vanguards in PVP and they seemed to suit my play style but I didn't want to run one if they were not going to be effective dps in PVE as well.
Yea, how about Tactics dps in PVE?

Titanium_Turtle
12.13.2011 , 04:26 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Tohimon View Post
Yea, how about Tactics dps in PVE?
Here's a tactics pure PVE DPS build I'm considering running with. I might take the 2 points from the Soldier's Enduracne and put them back into Containment Tactics though...
http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...2f2ef8ef17df6:

Aaoogaa
12.13.2011 , 05:53 PM | #8
Tactics lacks a snare to maintain either range from other melee or to keep ranged classes close. I am sure it will be ok but Assault and shield spec will perform better overall. Tactics looks good on paper but does not perform as well in game.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

QuippingPenguin
12.13.2011 , 06:00 PM | #9
So would anyone recommend going 31 into Tactics for pure DPS? Or would I be better off to put most of the points into shield and the rest into Tactics? Also, how does Assault fare dmg-wise against Tactics tree?

Sorry for having no idea about the trooper mechanics and his damage. I know I want to play a DPS Vanguard because of his mobility. But I don't know which way to go. :/

Drakenborg
12.13.2011 , 07:31 PM | #10
Shield Spec tree is a mid range tank spec.
Assault Spec and Tactics are DPS tree's.
I would go for 31 in either of those and add some passive bonuses from other 2 tree's (first and second tier have nice ones and they work with all the tree's).
Brakkar
Radiant Knights

swtor.radiantknights.co.uk