BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

i feel ya. but im gonna ride the powertech high for a bit. I HIT A RAILSHOT FOR 5k ZOMGZ :eek:

but yeah its a faceroll spec for sure. and nothing can stop me. its great lol

I've got a 50 VG to go along with my commando and even though he is not nearly as optimized, I've done stuff with him that I never could have dreamed with my commando. However, I still like playing my commando in pvp simply because shooting a leaping marauder out of the air with a DR is hilarious.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commando Gunnery damage is fine. I can normally either top DPS boards or usually get a respectable amount (this is normally when im against Focus/Rage and DPS PT's/Vanguards). The only thing Gunnery needs is a defensive cooldown which makes us immune to all forms of CC (including slows, roots, pulls and being jumped to) and interrupts.

Also, the only thing i would change in our skill tree is Cover Fire. At the moment, it has a 50%/100% chance to slow the target by 70% with each hit of full auto. Whilst this can be a useful skill in group situations, in a 1v1 situation against a melee class its pretty pointless. The slow is good, but having to stand still to cast it makes the skill redundant. I would change it to something like -

Suppression

Full Auto has a 50%/100% chance to slow the target by 70% for 8 seconds.

This means that once you finish casting Full Auto, you will still have 4 - 5 seconds breathing room. It will also add a bit more utility to your group, something which Gunnery Commandos severely lack.

I love how the biggest supporters of this thread have all rolled Powertechs.

I hate myself.

i was getting tired of being left out of Ranked matches. my Merc is going to become a healer, which is only slightly less sucky than DPS merc

Suppression

Full Auto has a 50%/100% chance to slow the target by 70% for 8 seconds.

This means that once you finish casting Full Auto, you will still have 4 - 5 seconds breathing room. It will also add a bit more utility to your group, something which Gunnery Commandos severely lack.

Except, the classes that we need the breathing room from mara/sents, juggs/guardians, and VGs/PTs all have a way to close that gap instantly so slowing them down at range isn't going to gain us anything.

Except, the classes that we need the breathing room from mara/sents, juggs/guardians, and VGs/PTs all have a way to close that gap instantly so slowing them down at range isn't going to gain us anything.

I dropped that skill off my build, too many force powers bypass it for it to be of much use. Same with the shield cleansingmovement imparing effects. I use my shield and I'm still moving at 30%, now I'm dead and it's on a super longccooldown.

I have a feeling 1.7 is going to be a band-aid patch when the class is suffering arterial trauma.

Pretty clear Bioware lied about wanting to do more consistent content changes. Can't wait to see the NEW pvp dynamic after a new round of massive changes.

I dropped that skill off my build, too many force powers bypass it for it to be of much use. Same with the shield cleansingmovement imparing effects. I use my shield and I'm still moving at 30%, now I'm dead and it's on a super longccooldown.

Degauss is so huge for me. It turns a so-so shield ability into a life saver. Have you ever been lept at and gotten Ravaged....suddenly to find you can't move out of range? Degauss!

Ever cross the fire in huttball and get rooted when your stun breaker is down? Degauss! You should also have 1 point in energy rebounder. Its fine to leave it at 50% chance because you take damage so frequently, the 50% chance is irrelevant. One person using rapid shots on you hits you, what, 3 times? Thats almost a guaranteed proc right there. One of the three 50% chances will succeed (usually).

If you don't have Degauss, you have 2 points in the Alacrity skill, the Stealth Scan skill, or the Head Reduction while Stunned. I don't see how any of those 3 skills are even remotely in the ballpark as one of our main escape moves. The shield is available much more than stun breaker is, due to energy rebounder.

And if you dont have any points in Energy Rebounder or Automated Defenses, you have even more points in the less usefull skills above. These are huge for me, in my build.

Edited by DarthBloodloss

Honestly I never take Degauss these days. The breaking ravage root thing would be more persuasive if more maras were speccing carnage, but as it stands? meh. If it did provide immunity for the duration that would be different of course.

I do take the alacrity talent but thats because I feel 4% alacrity is better than 2% endurance and I need to get out of tier 1. After that I take Parallactic Combat Stims, Superheated Plasma, and either the slow or the enhanced stealth scan (since it reduces the amount of downtime on stealthscan when guarding).

After that there's just too many good things in the tree to take over degauss.

Besides we have a cleanse.

Like I said if more maras were carnage it'd be a different story.

Well, we're looking at (probably) only a few more days until 1.7 hits PTS. So what do people think BW will actually change for Mercs? As opposed to what we'd like to see?

I'm guessing we get Jet Boost buffed with a Cleanse on activation and a 30% speed boost for 2 seconds after activation. While the heat cost of Jet Boost goes up from 16 to 25. I doubt they will change anything else for Mercs.

I think the biggest class balance change for Mercs in 1.7 will come from the changes made to other classes. Namely to Sorc stun bubble and Rage/Focus Smash Monkeys. The more Sorc stun bubble gets nerfed, the worse for Mercs. Correspondingly, the more the Smash Monkeys get nerfed, the better for Mercs. And yeah, it is entirely possible that the two effects cancel each other out.

I'm guessing we get Jet Boost buffed with a Cleanse on activation and a 30% speed boost for 2 seconds after activation. While the heat cost of Jet Boost goes up from 16 to 25. I doubt they will change anything else for Mercs.

That sounds worryingly plausable given their (only post on the issue) apparent view that we (only) have escape issues...

I think the biggest class balance change for Mercs in 1.7 will come from the changes made to other classes. Namely to Sorc stun bubble and Rage/Focus Smash Monkeys. The more Sorc stun bubble gets nerfed, the worse for Mercs. Correspondingly, the more the Smash Monkeys get nerfed, the better for Mercs. And yeah, it is entirely possible that the two effects cancel each other out.

I'm not convinced that they'll do much balance changes until they push out RotHC given the significant changes they'll need to make for that anyway.

Well, we're looking at (probably) only a few more days until 1.7 hits PTS. So what do people think BW will actually change for Mercs? As opposed to what we'd like to see?

I dunno that they'll give commandos/mercs even that much directly, though if they did the jerks would up the ammo cost. I agree with the rest of your sentiment, though a nerf to bubble stun is also a buff to carnage mara and if those guys get their burst back look out.

I expect more 'buff' nerf for mercs. Like the whole root on rocket punch.

Come on now, blunttron, that's not constructive! We gotta support the Developers so they'll throw us a bone!

Actually now that I think about it, they should just let mercenaries become powertechs and vice versa. We already have a skill respec thing, why not let us change classes! That way we have 6 trees to go through and we don't have the suffer the same class story over and over again.

Edited by PerinnAybara

I expect more 'buff' nerf for mercs. Like the whole root on rocket punch.

We will get an instant cast Grav Round, Charged Bolts, and be able to use cover. However, all of our attacks will have their range and damage reduced by 50% and our heals will only be able to be used out of combat.

i posted on another thread that what i think they should do is remove the channel from gr and put it in a 1.5sec cd so its instant and has 1.5 or 2 sec cd.that would make as a million times more mobile and its almost the same as before just we are no turrets anymore.:rak_03: