Whatever

LinkinPein

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear BioWare,

TL;DR:

Restore Juggernaut, Assassin and Powertech survivability (DPS specs). Remove guard from DPS classes/specs. Restore matchmaking to how it was back in Season 9. Make pops impossible to miss. These, I strongly believe, will fix the fundamental problems with Solo Ranked. I speak from personal experience, after over thousands of games played throughout Season 10, on all 8 Advanced Classes.

I'm going to be quite straightforward: Season 10 is about to end and you have yet to even mention the current state of the matchmaking system in Solo Ranked. In case you need a reminder:

*Matchmaking tends to stack classes, often ending in an unfair composition. Examples:

Team 1 (DPS only): Marauder, Marauder, Juggernaut, Assassin

Team 2 (DPS only): Mercenary, Mercenary, Operative, Sorcerer

Team 2 clearly has the advantage; considering they all have the same skill level, the latter team has unmatched survivability. There are many other examples, such as cleave compositions versus meele, etc. Or perhaps my personal favorite:

Team 1 (3 DPS + healer): Marauder (carnage), Marauder (carnage), Marauder (fury), Sorcerer (healer)

Team 2 (3 DPS + healer): Sorcerer, Mercenary, Operative, Sorcerer (healer)

No need to comment on this, it happens often and it is pretty hilarious. But in case you don't play the game BioWare, someone in Team 2 is going to die in 2 seconds. And even if that isn't the case, it is pretty much impossible to win unless the Marauders aren't good.

*Matchmaking always hinders the highest rated player. Everyone knows this by now, and it is perhaps the single most important point here; it takes all the fun out of Solo Ranked. Restore matchmaking to how it was before, because having 1500+ rating does not mean that you can carry 3 bad players againts 3 to, sometimes 4 good players. I cannot say for sure what you've changed, but certainly it was more fun to queue in Season 9 than it is now.

*Make Solo Ranked pops impossible to miss. Just, why did you even change this? Was it on purpose?

*Return 30% damage reduction when stunned to Juggernauts, Assassins and Powertechs. With the increase in damage output, these classes simply get close to dying in a single 4 second stun, if not plain globalled. This was perhaps the most reckless, stupid change ever made in terms of class balance.

*Remove guard from DPS classes/specs. This, in conjunction with class stacking, often leads to unfair compositions, such as:

Team 1 (3 DPS + healer): Assassin, Assassin, Marauder, Sorcerer (healer)

Team 2 (3 DPS + healer): Mercenary, Sorcerer, Marauder, Sorcerer (healer)

Team 1 clearly wins in terms of composition, DPS have simply to rotate guard when needed to win.

I could add more examples, but I believe these are enough to point out the flaws.

As a guy who also played many fights during the season i can fully support all mentioned. Class stacking is terrible: 2 mercs against 2 marauders, 2 dot juggs against 3 melee classes etc. Win is always predictable in such fights. Of course 3 mercs will win against 3 maras in fights without healers. Of course 3 dot juggs will win against 3 carnage marauders since melee classes have to stack and will all die from aoe pressure. The class stacking is insane.

However, OP should write this thread in general discussion since devs never read pvp forum. Season 9 was much better than season 10 in terms of matchmaking.

Dear BioWare,

TL;DR:

Restore Juggernaut, Assassin and Powertech survivability (DPS specs). Remove guard from DPS classes/specs. Restore matchmaking to how it was back in Season 9. Make pops impossible to miss. These, I strongly believe, will fix the fundamental problems with Solo Ranked. I speak from personal experience, after over thousands of games played throughout Season 10, on all 8 Advanced Classes.

I'm going to be quite straightforward: Season 10 is about to end and you have yet to even mention the current state of the matchmaking system in Solo Ranked. In case you need a reminder:

*Matchmaking tends to stack classes, often ending in an unfair composition. Examples:

Team 2 clearly has the advantage; considering they all have the same skill level, the latter team has unmatched survivability. There are many other examples, such as cleave compositions versus meele, etc. Or perhaps my personal favorite:

Team 1 (3 DPS + healer): Marauder (carnage), Marauder (carnage), Marauder (fury), Sorcerer (healer)

No need to comment on this, it happens often and it is pretty hilarious. But in case you don't play the game BioWare, someone in Team 2 is going to die in 2 seconds. And even if that isn't the case, it is pretty much impossible to win unless the Marauders aren't good.

*Matchmaking always hinders the highest rated player. Everyone knows this by now, and it is perhaps the single most important point here; it takes all the fun out of Solo Ranked. Restore matchmaking to how it was before, because having 1500+ rating does not mean that you can carry 3 bad players againts 3 to, sometimes 4 good players. I cannot say for sure what you've changed, but certainly it was more fun to queue in Season 9 than it is now.

*Make Solo Ranked pops impossible to miss. Just, why did you even change this? Was it on purpose?

*Return 30% damage reduction when stunned to Juggernauts, Assassins and Powertechs. With the increase in damage output, these classes simply get close to dying in a single 4 second stun, if not plain globalled. This was perhaps the most reckless, stupid change ever made in terms of class balance.

*Remove guard from DPS classes/specs. This, in conjunction with class stacking, often leads to unfair compositions, such as:

Team 1 clearly wins in terms of composition, DPS have simply to rotate guard when needed to win.

I could add more examples, but I believe these are enough to point out the flaws.

Yeah cuz like Snipers are fine.

I do agree with some of the points to be fair. But, while I agree about the guarding, you can't just do that and leave all the other off-role abilties that hybrid classes retain as DPS specs,especially considering there are two classes that don't even have any 'off-role- abilties to begin with.

If you take DPS gaurding away, there will than be a case to be made with the rediculous amounts of heals some DPS specs have, and off-healing to boot.

Taunting in DPS specs that have it is a fairly brainless and immensily effecting of damage ratios without any real need to monitor it. There is no reason not to use taunts on DPS specs on CD.

Guards

Taunts

self heals

off-heals

cleansing

Rez

perma stealth.

There are classes that don't even get one of those let alone 3 or 4 of them all in DPS spec.

I agree about the guarding 100 %. Thing is, if you do that, you open pandora's box. That is not the only one of the off-role abilities some DPS specs that are unbalancing and have too strong of an influence on outcomes.

Truth is, not one DPS spec needs even one of those things to perform his role as a DPS. Essentially you address one, you open the whole can of worms. Those classes that have guards will than take offense that only they are being 'trimmed' of off-role ability and than they will start point fingers at classes/specs that don't have guard as one of their off-role abilities.

Again, I totally agree with you in spirit about guarding in DPS spec.

Giving stun dr to classes based on solo ranked is a terrible idea. The game should NEVER be balanced around the matchmaking lottery of solo ranked, it should be balanced around trinity comps and group ranked like it always has. Some classes benefit more from being in a group, like powertech, whilst others are stronger on their own, like merc, but weaker in groups. It’s perfectly ok for classes to play differently and have different strengths.

Powertech in particular should not recieve any survivability buff without eating a nerf in damage potential. Why’s that? Because that cancerous class has dominated the group ranked meta since like.... 2.0? Even earlier? The only reason they’re not dominating the meta right now for the first time in ages was because of the removal of stun dr and the nerfing of Pt tanks ridiculous cleave output. Despite that nerf, they’re still very strong in group ranked. I don’t agree with any “balance” ideas that screw over the rest of the game.

Edited by SlimeyDoom

Dear BioWare,

TL;DR:

Thank you for sharing your opinion, but there is some information that is not precise enough. Jugg/guardians, sin/shadows and powertech/vanguards DO still have the 30% DR when stunned. it was just moved to the tank specs away from the dps specs. I am fairly certain that is what u meant to say but I want to clarify that for others.

For the rest, I just simply can't agree with most of it. As you would like to see dps specs lose the ability to guard, I can't seem to find a good reason to do that without changing a whole lot of other things with it. It feels somewhat similar to doing like all dps specs who have healing options to not be able to heal (mers/commandos, scoundrel/op and sorc sage). Both guard and healing are secondary advantages that all the dps specs have as an option to do which MOST players do not take advantage of. Honestly, if there were to take those options away, it would make the game head even more towards every class being the same, which to me was the wrong move on their part.

In regards to the whole matchmaking system, we dont know enough to truly know all the elements that it takes into account into making teams. I've pvped for a long time and everytime there has been any kinda of balance changes, I've always took the time to think and see how it affects my main (shadow, infiltration) and adjust my strategies on how to beat other classes based on my strengths and their weaknesses. I seriously believe that like 99% of the player based have NOT taken more than 20 TOTAL minutes to think about this kind of stuff ( I somewhat base this on the amount of players who have taunts, who dont, those who have the ability to guard but never guards, those who can heal to offheal especially when they have the numbers advantage, but mostly by the amount of complaining I see on the forums about certain stuff being OP when they really aren't, best example of this are mercs. when they first got buffed, they were overtuned, they then got nerfed to just remain strong, but far from what I would consider op. what truly makes them op, is the player base who seem clueless and continue to use single target attacks for example during a mercs reflect the problem is NOT the actual balance of classes.

I was not aware that you could avoid solo ranked games without any punishment in terms of loss of rating. if this is actually possible , then it is a bug. If this is the case, I dont know how you can blame the match making system to correct someone not taking a pop ( lets say the best player does this, and there is literally no one anywhere near as good left in the potential pool of players in q to replace him, I dont see how the system can then balance it fairly in this case). So. again this is a player base behavior that is the issue, and not necessarily the matchmaking system. I also don't know how they actually take into account players true skill, as it feels like 99% of the players do not seem to play there classes to their potential/properly. I do agree that it seems like the higher rating you have, then the worse your team seems to get. I had the same feeling as you in regards to that most of the time. I have not played that many games this season because on top of this, I also deal with a lot of players who simply throw games on me specificly, or throw games for there friends who is on the other team, its sometimes hard to figure out which it is based on the constant name changes. But there are some who I know personally throw on me due to some grudge they have for my pvp guild basicly making 90% of the imp pvpers leave POT5 back in season 2-3. Solo ranked has only gotten worse and less appealing because when you have people who troll mixed with people who care, overtime the trolls ruin the experience for those who care and then they lose interest because of the people trolling the ranked games. Season 10 is the first season in which pubs and imps are on the same teams. This at first glance seemed like a great idea, even to me, but I saw one MAJOR problem that I think most people overlooked, and that is the fact that you could no long swap sides if one side had too many throwers/trolls in queue. Because of this, and the fact that the same trolls are still playing after all this time, aswell as some new ones probably (again hard to truly tell based on name changes) the remaining honest players can no longer avoid them no matter what we do (other than to simply not queue up), so most of the honest players stopped queuing. This is why this season it has had the least amount of participation in solo ranked. Until bioware does something involving ingame reporting with fast review and take actions on those troll players, ranked will continue to die, and at this point I dont know how much more dead it can get.

I also want to take a second to shout out to the players (Snave and co.) taking the time to create content to teach players about pvp and all its fun elements which I have come to really enjoy.

So that's my opinion on the matter. I'm sure many more will have their own opinions aswell and i'm curious to see everyone else take on this.

I believe the reason was the amount of botting that was done in solo ranked. Some guy on EU would just queue an afk tank against himself to get elo for his tank.

A timely net and swap can really demolish the assassin guarding there. The mercenary can also knock guarding assassin and then burst, etc. - this is not the clear cut win you've described.

That being said, I think you are right on this. A similar issue which is not felt in solo ranked but is felt in team ranked, is access of DPS classes to cleanses, which I believe should also be removed. How the "off-roles" should be is a longer discussion though.

Yeah cuz like Snipers are fine.
Us snipers are really fine in the current meta of solo ranked. Lightning sorcerer, fury marauder and arsenal mercenary are all better damage dealing specs to have in the ubiquitous 4dps games. Arguably operatives are better suited for 4dps games too.

Of course, unless you think that a sniper running all game is overpowered, in which case you can really hurt sniper survivability by reducing the speed boost on countermeasures granted by re-establish range. You'd be better off teaching people when to hardstun though.

Snipers ARE strong with tank/heals, but I have seen literally EVERY dps class played in teams this season to good effect. Krellton pulls 5.5k+ dps on his Vengeance Jugg in teams. Balance in that regard is a bit more subtle.

Guards

Taunts

self heals

off-heals

cleansing

Rez

perma stealth

You cannot rez in arenas, and DPS offheals and taunts are not as big a problem as guarding. Stealth-out has its counterplays in arenas for quick enough players. Cleansing arguably creates some cancerous comps in group ranked (I'm biased as a swaps player), but not as big a problem in solo ranked, which is the topic of the thread. Edited by Metthew

*Matchmaking always hinders the highest rated player. Everyone knows this by now, and it is perhaps the single most important point here; it takes all the fun out of Solo Ranked. Restore matchmaking to how it was before, because having 1500+ rating does not mean that you can carry 3 bad players againts 3 to, sometimes 4 good players. I cannot say for sure what you've changed, but certainly it was more fun to queue in Season 9 than it is now..

I agree with your whole post except this part. I say this as someone who has also reached 1500+ and felt what you are saying, but it's clearly working as intended. Let's say there are 8 people queueing, ratings 1500, 1100, 1100, 1100, 1200, 1200, 1200, 1200. To make the most even teams, the matchmaker has to put the 3 1100s with the 1500. That is the fairest match. Are you suggesting the matchmaker should stack one team just so the 1500 can keep winning? The only real issue with the system is that there are not enough people queueing to consistently make fair teams, but that's a much harder issue to solve.

an imporant note, much of the "2k" rating in solos was over inflated cheating. if you want validation for that, look no further than season 10s elo rating, where much if not all elo manipulation has been blocked. Edited by Seterade

key word is "blatant"

also "cheater" is subjective. quite a few people said prum and nike both wintraded, but I knew them personaly, fought with them and saw how hard they carried absolute garbage matchups. I use these two because not only did they get top 3 op, but several gold toons as well.

prum did flyhack, but rarely if ever used it to win. for example he used it to hide till acid to pulll the troll roll acid grenade, or when on his pt he would fly away long enough to kick his teammate. then come down and die/lose

Edited by Seterade

key word is "blatant"

also "cheater" is subjective. quite a few people said prum and nike both wintraded, but I knew them personaly, fought with them and saw how hard they carried absolute garbage matchups. I use these two because not only did they get top 3 op, but several gold toons as well.

prum did flyhack, but rarely if ever used it to win. for example he used it to hide till acid to pulll the troll roll acid grenade, or when on his pt he would fly away long enough to kick his teammate. then come down and die/lose

They backfilled, which is a now-fixed feature that allowed them to gain rating even if they lost

Again.. another pointless thread about things that will never be fixed...

You do realize you are complaining over the same things for years now ?

Dev team will never allocate resources to a game mode that only 5% of the current population play....

The best fix for these problems is to stop queing ranked if you aren't happy.

Classes will never be balanced in arenas.. and the biggest problem are the arenas themselves that are only gank fests. Some classes will always suck no matter what buffs / nerfs they apply.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

I agree with these points:

*Matchmaking always hinders the highest rated player.

*Make Solo Ranked pops impossible to miss.

The other things are kinda OK since it depends on how they are approached.

IMO it should just be taken out of the game at this point. They had their reasons to remove 30% stun DR from DPS classes and I support it. But they should remove it completely. The DPS classes that still have it are Sorc and Merc. Lightning Sorc already has high passive DR and can use phasewalk to avoid damage while stunned, so they don't need it. And Merc, well they could spec into it, but other utilities are actually better so they don't need it aswell. Give it to everyone or remove it completely would be my suggestion. And as a person who felt the pain of playing deception sin in solos I'd still vote for "remove".

*Matchmaking always hinders the highest rated player. Everyone knows this by now, and it is perhaps the single most important point here; it takes all the fun out of Solo Ranked.

the most important thing why the old system was better is once again it's abusability. Although cross faction and the server transfer rating reset helped, it was definitely not harder to wintrade in solos in s10 than it was in s9. the difference is: back then you had to do much more games than in s10, where you just push out of starting games and you're top3.

prum did flyhack

I did not know that as I don't know anybody on NA besides streamers but this statement is enough for him to lose every tiny bit of credibility. It's sad how many people like this get away with top3 titles not even to mention the people buying accounts with cheated or maybe not cheated top3 characters. it's not a surprise to see these top3s usually being achieved in solo ranked.

Well, unless they take care of these people popping out of nowhere and taking top 3 spots, I'm done. Months of careful queueing about to be all for nothing in the comming days.

Seriously BioWare, if you can't see that such low rating is a big mistake, and that the matchmaking system needs to be restored, then you are probably fixed on eradicating what's left of the PvPers in this game. Now that I think about it, this has to be the worst year yet in terms of gearing and quality of matches.

Again, it was not that 2k+ ratings were all a farce, in Season 9 you could go well above that range and still get even matches. Now anything above 1600 is almost suicide. I queued on one yesterday and I went againts 3 of the best DPS in queue, while I got the 3 most green players I could possible get; and this happens consistently. You cannot work your way into a win with that; it's simply impossible.

You need to focus on rewards only and getting enough tokens to buy yourself something for your effort in ranked... and for enduring all the bs that comes with you que.

If you are fixated on ratings and flairs that mean nothing, you are just feeding your frustrations. I agree with what you posted, it has been my experience as well. I qued up until november and my win - loss rations was like 80-80.. I was literally where I started at 1200. ;)

Edited by DavidAtkinson

sniper leaderboards.

its a gunslinger with gold rating in solos with 10 wins.

its what this topic is about. people "queue abusing" to get the highest elo for minimal effort.

That's why I recommend a wins/losses point system instead of ELO for rating. It's just too easy to manipulate the rating on this game and the devs are incapable of fixing that.

It just takes a group of losers I mean friends that coordinate with one another to drop matches etc. to boost one another's rating.

Last year when I was doing solo ranked, it was clear one guy I got as a group member frequently was doing it, sometimes he'd stay the whole match, then depending on who was on the other team he'd drop our match leaving us with 3 versus 4 before it began.

I quit ranked after a week of seeing this ****. It was really frustrating, not one bit worth the time or effort of trying to get rating the fair and square way when you rely on teammates so much and it's so easy for them to ruin games.

BW took in a fair amount of pvp feedback over the last couple seasons and, aside from the typical contrarians on this board who have no idea what they're talking about, we've been consistently complaining about dps being able to guard. We should continue to remind them how dumb this is but I suspect they just disagree with us on that point - there's almost no way they haven't noticed the complaining about it and it would be easy to change so I don't think it's something they agree with us on but just can't get around to committing to.

The matchmaking is weird but if bioware would ever return it to the way it was one thing I would not miss is the way the support roles would get stacked together. The old method of #1 vs #2 and so on down the line worked fine for 8 dps games but with support classes in the queue the cumulative advantage of the #1 dps, tank, and healer all being on the same team could get really out of hand at times. In the past when populations were better and the #2 in each role were more likely to be on a par with the #1 it was less bad but as the population dwindles the delta creeps higher and higher and the futility of many matches goes up with it. This of course applies to 8 dps games as well but given the high #s of dps along with the fact you are of equal value to everyone else (support classes clearly being slightly more valuable than 1 dps of equal skill) the impact is noticeably less

Return 30% damage reduction when stunned to Juggernauts, Assassins and Powertechs. With the increase in damage output, these classes simply get close to dying in a single 4 second stun, if not plain globalled. This was perhaps the most reckless, stupid change ever made in terms of class balance.

I'm not necessarily opposed to giving those stun DRs back (juggernaut dps never had it, though) however if our goal is to actually shake up the meta in a meaningful way (rather than just take a bite out of how lopsided it is, which is all this change would accomplish - at least in solos) we need to aim at the primary culprit. Which is that marauders, snipers, and mercs were overbuffed.

We should be careful about adding more and more ways to survive to the game - there are more game modes than solo ranked and the consistent upward TTK creep has really messed with warzones and group ranked, often not in a good way

Matchmaking tends to stack classes, often ending in an unfair composition. Examples:
This complaint has popped up on these boards from time to time for years but I really think it's a case of confirmation bias. Class stacks are annoying and stick in your brain (especially the losses - I still remember games against 4 mercs from season 8) - the games where classes are spread around fairly evenly are quickly forgotten. I think if anyone cared enough to make a log of class lineups in solo ranked with a proper sample size that it would be basically random Edited by bUrself_

Some of the main problems with solo ranked are cross-role backfilling (lol) and just the players you are expected to carry that are dragged out from the depths of elo hell once you get of high enough rating.

There is more RNG this season than any previous season as a result of the queue quality. If they limit who can queue and who wants to queue (by removing mats completely and adding expertise gear for example), the new matchmaking system could actually work. It may actually work somewhat better than the system for seasons 1-9 due to the fact you can't backfill, factional sync, etc.

At this point you are either required to play on an alt to see how bad the queue is and then play on a main when its decent, or just do the roughly hundreds of RNG games it will likely take to get T1 or top3.

There certainly are players that wintrade for top3 or t1 in like 10 games as previously posted, but from looking at leaderboards its usually not possible to know if it is legit or not.

Solo ranked has by no means ever been an absolute metric of skill in other seasons, but the better players do tend to always rise to the top in either system if they put in the time. However, this season for sure is the least accurate measure of "skill" due to the excessive amount of randomness that would need to be addressed to even begin to consider it valid.

At this point either play solo ranked for the luls and/or the thrills of carrying hard games and those dank 1v1s and 1v2s or whatever... for its more of a joke than its ever been before and shouldn't be taken too seriously in it's current state.