Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way we all could help grow the Oceanic population is by simply coping your game client and putting it on a hard drive / USB stick for friends to install on there machines. I've managed to talk a few friends into playing as the free to play appeals to them however having to download a 20GB game ( includes patches) is usually what turns people off. If you all got 1 or 2 people to do this and give SWTOR a crack I'm sure we would see a large increase in numbers, lets see if we can be part of the solution rather than hoping/waiting one day for Bioware to do what we want.

I have a feeling Joveth may have quit because he couldn't communicate with the community.

When everything you say has to be approved and they don't approve anything . . . it probably was very frustrating.

If you think that EA is just doing the minimum to support this game till they can close it down, everything going on makes perfect sense.

I have a feeling Joveth may have quit because he couldn't communicate with the community.

When everything you say has to be approved and they don't approve anything . . . it probably was very frustrating.

His tenure does reek of short term patch work to pad his resume and jump ship before his failures become too apparent.

If you think that EA is just doing the minimum to support this game till they can close it down, everything going on makes perfect sense.

If EA hadn't named SWTOR in the last quater as one of thier biggest earners then I might believe that. This just seems like mismanagement at the personal level. That Bioware is in disarray after selling out and losing its founders, like it is letting sales guys manage things rather than sell the game and have someone with competence manage it.

Face it guys, APAC is gone, over, bioware don't care and are just milking you for cash.....just reroll with the insane amount of APAC players that left 6 months+ ago to The Harbringer.....latency now is not all that bad, and general chat is nice when no matter what time of the day/night it is, gen chat is always going on, on every planet + heroics, fp ect...made rerolling actually rly fun...at 50.....all good, longest i wait as dps was 10min in a queue, in our prime time maybe 15min....APAC is gone, let it rot guys :( I'm sorry but if you rly want to play swtor the way it is meant to be played, bioware have failed us, reroll :(

Face it guys, APAC is gone, over, bioware don't care and are just milking you for cash.....just reroll with the insane amount of APAC players that left 6 months+ ago to The Harbringer.....latency now is not all that bad, and general chat is nice when no matter what time of the day/night it is, gen chat is always going on, on every planet + heroics, fp ect...made rerolling actually rly fun...at 50.....all good, longest i wait as dps was 10min in a queue, in our prime time maybe 15min....APAC is gone, let it rot guys :( I'm sorry but if you rly want to play swtor the way it is meant to be played, bioware have failed us, reroll :(

Harbinger is an excellent server and with more apac/oceanic players makes the server better. That's why Illidan in wow is so popular even in the middle of the night is highly active. Hopefully, Harbinger can become more active at night with more apac/oceanic players. The old Harbinger and Swiftsure servers were the best due to being the unofficial apac/oceanic servers.

Edited by Knockerz

Here are my thoughts about the whole situation.

Previously I mentioned that perhaps merging the three servers together would bring more people together and feel less divided however I’ve noticed that the game has gone a decline over the past few months and its all about people crying and whinging over little things that they couldn’t have. Stop that crying huh? NEVAR!

Lets focus on the constructive aspect and let’s work together, rather than pointing fingers here. The solution at this stage on this game for the APAC servers isn’t that great right now. Bioware is probably sitting there brainstorming and wondering how can they fix this quickly and keep their customers? Me personally, I think bad decisions lead to bad results so lets look on what we have at the moment.

Pro’s

1) Made good friends over the time spent on SWTOR and had fun with them on the game

2) Joining guilds are fun and trying to down the endgame content is just as exciting

3) Storyline has been epic

4) The newer content is something we always do appreciate

5) The humour in the game can be quite amusing for either light or dark side responses

6) Cartel Market option has been quite fun for the gear we wanted to try and get

Con’s

1) Content not coming out regularly (but we know that it takes time)

2) We have a love/hate relationship and always will with the designers but people forget how much we should be appreciating them for making SWTOR

3) Server issues such as population decline is not the users fault for leaving but its something that Bioware needs to take a step back and rethink on where they taking SWTOR with this. Feedback survey’s should be available to allow users to provide a FULL explanation of what their reasons are

4) Funding could be a problem

I had been in an American guild before hand and loved it there but when the game died down, and the guild did as well. Sucked either way. Had no choice but to leave the server I was on, and moved on. Felt sad that it had come down to that though, good times good memories.

When I first joined the APAC servers, great things were happening, joined an Aussie guild and enjoyed the APAC server but here we are folks experiencing tough love with the game right now. Had loads of fun though but the biggest issue that I have been finding is that the game is lacking a lot of stuff.

What can you do to improve our experience on the APAC Servers?

• Cross realm raiding and group finder, also implement the ability to add your friends from other realms and give them the chance to either help you complete your quests, flashpoints and perhaps operations as well
  • Merging three servers into one
  • Hard to say at this point about making into a West Coast server, I feel that the great ping rate we do have is worth it. Fortunately we are lucky to have an APAC server located in Australia as well too. But whenever I was on World of Warcraft for 8 years, I was so used to the US Servers and had no problems with 200 – 300ms thus West Coast servers. Furthermore if you looked at the BETA days of SWTOR we had both West/East coast servers and no APAC servers, yet people loved it as well too.

I tried the Harbringer server and got exactly that, so I’m not complaining. Yes it doesn't help the fact that I would need to 'redo' all my characters and start over... however its a shame that the solution of moving us to the APAC servers was either a success or let down. Take your pick.

• Then again you could look into the idea of having one server divided into multiple layers. Lets look at it this way. Lets say the new server name was The Revanite server and all the APAC servers would be merged into that server.

How does this work?

One suggestion could be is account bound and nickname/callsign. Whatever your account id is, all the character names would not be taken away for you. Regardless of legacy and what not.

Perhaps look at the Secret World and look at how they operate on their naming system. First Name, Nickname, Surname. I think people could choose a nickname but even though lets use an example here. If you have more than a couple people using the same name as Carth, Revan or Bastila for instance.

Person A's nickname is Bob
    Person B's nickname is Rev
    Person C's nickname is Toni

The point is whenever C jumps onto the game, Person A and B would be able to join the game as well and can appear on the game with their Character name and hide their nickname. Another possibility if there are so many people using the nickname Bob, Rev or Toni could have their account ID added at the end of it like... Rev_1203 or Bob1234 (something like that).

Yes I'm throwing up ideas there, yes we need a solution. Yes there should be a better system in place to be honest Bioware.

One suggestion could be the legacy system where despite whatever character name you have on it, you could have the ‘legacy’ configured to accommodate the player’s legacy name and keep all the character names. And also add their account into their callsign value so that whenever a person tries to invite them into a group it would be Account Name "Satelerevan" character name "Revan"

There surely has to be a better way around this. It can be programmed on the system. I don't see why it won't be an issue.

Edited by Satelerevan

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

I wanted to make sure you were all aware that we have definitely not forgot about the APAC server concerns that all of you have. We are still very actively looking at all possible solutions and I will make sure that you are updated as soon as I have more information!

-eric

Hey everyone,

I wanted to make sure you were all aware that we have definitely not forgot about the APAC server concerns that all of you have. We are still very actively looking at all possible solutions and I will make sure that you are updated as soon as I have more information!

-eric

Thanks for the update Eric :)

Hey everyone,

-eric

Thank you Eric,we are really looking forward for your decision.

Edited by Marshal_Ney

...we want action not a reminder that you are well aware of the issue but have decided it is of little importance and can be put off indefinitely

Actually, I asked him in the community management team thread bs that he put together who will be taking over the roll of looking after the issues of our server pops. So, he is just answering a question asked of him.

Hey everyone,

-eric

Thanks for answering my question! Good to know that your filling this role and we don't have to wait for them to bring someone else on, delaying a solution further.

Hey everyone,

-eric

thank you eric but this seen like a joke, i mean joveth has said that 5 times and nothing happened. what is next? you say it 5 times and then you leave bioware? don't get me wrong eric but this is getting tired and people are mad (even me that i am in USA server, i don't like to see them sad)

please do something

Edited by lucotas

Hey everyone,

-eric

given the amount time that has passed, there must be a lot of possible solutions...

Hey everyone,

-eric

So we've been told. For months.

Thanks for the acknowledgment; I'm sure you are doing all you are allowed to. But at this point, even a time-frame would be something.

Hey everyone,

-eric

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAA....Aaaahhhh.... Good one, Eric.

I'll see you in two months for your next copy-paste post.

P.s- BRING BACK THE GOAT!

Hey everyone,

-eric

Sorry Eric, but that doesnt quite cut it. We got that response 6 months ago. This is getting a bit ridiculous.

Hey everyone,

-eric

Dear Eric

Thank you ever so much for your reply to our thread and mentioning you know of our concerns in your polite and delightful manner...

Now

We have been waiting since August 2012 for an answer to this question, 4 yellow posts later and we are still waiting...

I take from your post "Soon" to mean Makeb and then we will see...

Call me a cynic, but it seems this issue has been kicked down the street twice already hoping that the dead horse of Master Dar Nala will rise from the grave.

Duplicitous? Disengenious? Uncaring? These words spring to mind, but I know its not true, it cant be true.

Surely a Company as large as Bioware EA would have exemplary customer service and attention to all its subscriber base..

Your right, of course they do

Im just in the que with thousands of other people waiting to see it...

its going to be quite a show Im sure.

Once again

Thanks ever ever so much for acknowledging our issues

I await your ACTION on this issue eagerly..

Edited by Sildanar

Eric. Thank you for your post. Unfortunately this no longer cuts it. We need a decision to be made or at least a time frame on a decision. 6 months is too long.

At this point I don't even care if we get merged with the US servers, at least we would have a solution to the low pop on Master D. My next alt I am going to roll somewhere else I cannot face leveling with the 1 other person on the later planets. I am not paying $15 a month to play a single player game....

Just a make a decision already!

I have brought all of the yellow posts in this thread together for convenience sake, strangely enough Im detecting a theme..

This from 21st September 2012 (Joveth Gonzalez)

Folks, I wanted to take some time to let you know that we are listening to your concerns and that they're important to us. Oceanic servers WILL be getting 12 slots, just like the other servers and we're going to implement this change the next opportunity that we have.

Additionally, we've seen your concerns about Oceanic server populations and we're going to be evaluating this in the next few days.

We're listening, and I know you've all been patient with us, and for that, I thank you. As soon as I get any update to this, I will let you know here.

Thanks again.

This from 9th October (Joveth Gonzalez)

Hi folks,

Unfortunately, I have no new information at this time. In my last post, I did say that I would update this thread when I had new information but I currently do not.

With that being said, I will make sure to update this thread as soon as I have more information.

As a reminder, please remember to follow forum guidelines within this thread.

Thank you.

This from 6th November (Joveth Gonzalez)

Jeff and our team wanted to be able to talk about the topic in his address and now you have the latest on our plans. Thank you all for your patience on this!

the above relates to Jeff Hickmans comments in his State of the game blog post of 6th November 2012

link here http://www.swtor.com/blog/star-wars-old-republic-–-state-gam

Relevant quote here (Jeff Hickman)

We are very aware of the concerns with the population levels on the Oceanic servers. The problem is pretty complex, as the solutions we have either split the populations further (like allowing Oceanic players to move to North American servers), or would force players to go to server types (PvP or RP, etc…) that they do not want to be on. Our current plan is to wait for Free-to-Play to launch and see what the influx of new players does to the populations of these servers. We will give it a little time and if we do not see significant improvement, then we will move ahead with the solution that offers the best playing experience for the Oceanic community.

This from January 16th 2013 (Joveth Gonzalez)

Hi everyone,

I know it’s been a while since we’ve updated this thread, and I wanted to let you know that we haven’t forgotten about our Oceanic players. Now that we’re at a more stable point in time (post Free-to-Play transition and post holidays), we wanted to re-examine this issue. We’re going to be completely honest with you: there doesn’t seem to be an easy solution for anyone. We’ve seen many ideas from you folks such as merging all three servers into one, allowing for transfers to North America servers, and even not doing anything at all, but none of them seem to be an ideal solution for all. This is why we are now opening up this dialogue with you.

In this thread, please let us know what you think the best solution will be for your servers. I know there have been many suggestions already, but I would like to collect the most current ideas for us to consider. After that, our team will review and discuss what is feasible and what makes the most sense to do. Please remember to follow all forum rules and be respectful of each other’s ideas, even if you disagree with it.

Thank you all, and we look forward to your ideas.

This from 25th January 2012 (Joveth Gonzalez)

Hey folks! Thank you for all of your suggestions. As I mentioned earlier, we're going to review these and see what we can do. I'll be sure to update when we have anything new. In the meantime, please keep the ideas coming!

And from Today 28th February 2013 (Eric Musco)

Hey everyone,

-eric

Ill end with this observation,

Additionally, we've seen your concerns about Oceanic server populations and we're going to be evaluating this in the next few days.

that comment was made on the 21st Septmeber 2012

we are still waiting....

Edited by Sildanar