Character Analysis: General Carlist Rieekan

Wolfninjajedi

Alright here is another analysis thread this time about the character Carlist Rieekan. I know its rather soon after my AT-TE thread, but I figured what the hell...so lets get into this!

==========

"My tolerance is fairly inelastic. Don't try to stretch it."

―Carlist Rieekan

Carlist was from Alderaan and at the age of 17 joined the Galactic Republic Judicial Forces, and in demonstrating strong leadership quickly rose through the ranks and eventually became an officer, even befriending others such as Jan Dodonna, Adar Tallon, and Crix Madine and sometime later joined the Rebel Alliance. When the Death Star entered the Alderaan system, Rieekan got all sorts of messages requesting aid and evacuation from the people, however he denied thinking that if they were to evacuated the people, it would show the Empire that the Alderaanian people knew of the Death Star's ability to destroy planets so instead Rieekan waited hoping that it was just a bluff by the Empire.

Upon the destruction of his homeworld, Carlist was ridden with guilt and despair and resolved to never underestimate the Empire again in just how far they would go. By 0 ABY, Rieekan had a variety of bases set up throughout the Empire and soon worked with Rogue Squadren collaborating with Luke Skywalker on various missions. On such operation was in the city of Tiems, as he and his men were ready to evacuate the landing zone came under heavy Imperial starfighter attack, however Rieekan's knowledge of Imperial tactics worked for him as he laid out traps for the enemy, the General hid two of his regiments behind his main line of troops and when Imperial forces attacked, his main line fell back and as the Imperials gave chase were ambushed by the two other regiments, thus the Imperial general ordered no more attacks until air support arrived, however by that time Rieekan and his men escaped.

When the Alliance relocated to Echo Base, Rieekan became the theater commander in charge of all naval and land forces in the Hoth system and around at this time he had a considerable bounty placed on his head, enough to buy a moon in the core world's and an entire planet in the Outer Rim. Intent on preventing another Alderaan incident Rieekan made sure that Echo Base's defenses were as good as they could be, Tauntaun and T-47(snowspeeder) patrols were sent out regularly to check the base's perimeter and trenches were dug around the base with heavy laser turrets installed.

However he knew well that Echo Base, wouldn't be able to stop a full scale invasion by the Empire, the defenses being there more to slow down their advance and have the least casualties as possible. Sure enough LT Romas Navander reported that Death Squadron entered the system and acting fast Rieekan ordered the shield generator to reroute all power to the shields before ordering his men to get ready for a ground assault.

========

Personality/Traits

By his men, Rieekan was a grim and stern man with constant worry and concern, he never put his emotions on display and instead kept his determined demeanor. He stuck to his ideals and lived by them, which gravitated to fellow like minded soldiers, he also possessed natural leadership skills and he was also a strong and able tactician even from an early age. His vast knowledge made him an effective base commander, he also cared for his men and infact so much he admitted privately that he "bleeds when they bleed, and dies when they die" and even though he was able to make sacrifices he never found it easy to send men to their deaths.

=======

Pictures

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/69/Rieekan-TNR.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/a/a8/Rieekan-hd.jpg

========

Thoughts: I like Rieekan, he is a well thought out character and despite not being Force Sensitive he is a very good commander. Who said you needed to be a Jedi or Sith to be a good commander/tactician?

I like General Rieekan. First time watching ESB, I got the feeling that he knew what he was doing. He was that guy that always kept his cool. Great character.

Thoughts: I like Rieekan, he is a well thought out character and despite not being Force Sensitive he is a very good commander. Who said you needed to be a Jedi or Sith to be a good commander/tactician?

A good commander doesn't have to be Force-sensitive. Guys like Thrawn, Ackbar, Dodonna, and Rieekan have proven that they are excellent commanders (obviously Thrawn being the superior amongst them). Those mentioned could easily hold their own in tactical combat with a Jedi/Sith commander.

Heck, Admiral Ackbar used General Kenobi's "Kenobi offensive" to defeat Death Squadron. You don't need The Force to be a good commander. It's just that Force-sensitives take all the glory, I guess.

Great read as always.

I like General Rieekan. First time watching ESB, I got the feeling that he knew what he was doing. He was that guy that always kept his cool. Great character.

A good commander doesn't have to be Force-sensitive. Guys like Thrawn, Ackbar, Dodonna, and Rieekan have proven that they are excellent commanders (obviously Thrawn being the superior amongst them). Those mentioned could easily hold their own in tactical combat with a Jedi/Sith commander.

Heck, Admiral Ackbar used General Kenobi's "Kenobi offensive" to defeat Death Squadron. You don't need The Force to be a good commander. It's just that Force-sensitives take all the glory, I guess.

Great read as always.

I realize that, but there is the whole people who seem to think just cause the guy is Force Sensitive that he can beat any other commander. Or at least that is the notion, I get from some threads with namely Revan in them. (Not hating, but thats how I see some posts I guess clarification is in order.)

I realize that, but there is the whole people who seem to think just cause the guy is Force Sensitive that he can beat any other commander. Or at least that is the notion, I get from some threads with namely Revan in them. (Not hating, but thats how I see some posts I guess clarification is in order.)

The thing is, Revan isn't even that great of a commander(at least not a "master" tactician). Most of his tactics actually come from studying others. For instance, the attack on Foerost during the Jedi Civil War was basically a copy of Ulic Qel-Droma's attack.

Personally, I think there are plenty of superior tacticians to Force-users.

As a person who has long been... unhappy... with the way 'normal' people are portrayed in Star Wars, I find that the prevailing wisdom is that a Force user X is always better than a non-Force user X. Star Wars often reinforces this narrative, especially in warfare. Boba Fett, supposed bounty hunter master, destroyer of the most advanced assassin droids of the time, decides the best way to fight a half-trained and inexperienced Jedi is to close to melee with a blaster pistol. Just an example of the outright stupidity with which non-Force users are portrayed.

Wedge Antilles and Tycho Celchu are every bit as good as Luke Skywalker when in an X-Wing. Many Mandalorians, Morgukai, and bounty hunters were able to defeat Jedi/Sith in battle. Even the Hope cinematic (a huge step in the right direction, by the way) shows Jace Malcom holding his own against Darth Malgus, arguably one of the most powerful people in the galaxy.

Sorry for the rant and non-sequitor.

Anyway, Rieekan was better than his Imperial counterparts with the possible exception of General Veers.