New player confused and frustrated

bezzzzzzzz

I'm new to this game. I've come to understand that this game is quite confusing. For example trying to build, find or get augmentation slots or kits is next to impossible if you don't have help in doing it. Next for some unknown reason I try to equip a better lightsaber I got from a flashpoint mission and now I can't equip a lightsaber at all...…..WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!????? Another example is why is my health so much lower than my companion? Then trying to use GTN....I'm sure I must be using it wrong but it NEVER freaking works.

Is there a guide out there that tells you how to play this game? I don't mind a challenge but this feel ridiculous. HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!

Then trying to use GTN....I'm sure I must be using it wrong but it NEVER freaking works.

Some of the search features in the GTN are very, very broken, above all the "Usable by" selector. Don't use the "Usable by" thing. Really. It does not work.

Under armour, you can select the weight you want. "Adaptive" in there does not mean "moddable", but instead "Adaptive-weight armour that adapts to be the heaviest you can wear, whether or not it is fixed-stats or moddable". There's lots of adaptive-weight fixed-stats armour out there.

Searching for names in the GTN doesn't work if you type in only two characters, or a word of two characters, *unless* those two characters appear as a single word. (That is, "of" or "mk" or numbers from "1" to "11" will work, because they appear as isolatable elements in names, but "zq" won't because there's nothing with those two letters as a separate thing.) To search for MK-11 augmentation kits (components), you can search for "aug kit 11" but not for "au ki 11", and "aug kit 1" will *not* find MK-11s.

If those things don't help, perhaps you should tell us what you're doing and what the GTN window says in response.

For example trying to build, find or get augmentation slots or kits is next to impossible if you don't have help in doing it.

Unless you are level 75 and have decided on a bonus armor set to use, don't worry about augments too much.

But, basically, you need to equip a piece of gear with an augmentation slot. You can either buy the "Augmentation Slot Kits" from the GTN, to do that with, or craft them.

Once you have the slots fitted, you can install actual augments in them. Which augments to fit, depends upon your overall stats and what you want to adjust. For example, if your Accuracy is say, 109.5%, adding an Accuracy augment could push it to the desired 110%.

As I say though, don't worry about augments until later in the game (if you're not there yet.) And don't bother with augmentation slots below Mk-10.

Next for some unknown reason I try to equip a better lightsaber I got from a flashpoint mission and now I can't equip a lightsaber at all...…..WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!?????

I can't say what may be happening here without some more info. What class are you? Are you trying to equip a lightsaber on a character that uses a dualsaber (double bladed lightsaber) or vice-versa?

Another example is why is my health so much lower than my companion?

Your displayed health varies depending upon where you are and the effects of "bolster". It may be that sometimes it appears as though your companion has more health, but ignore it.

Then trying to use GTN....I'm sure I must be using it wrong but it NEVER freaking works.

As Steve says, there are things about the GTN that are buggy and haven't been fixed. It's best to keep it simple and not try things like "usable by". If you're trying to find things on the GTN, the "search" box sort of works, but has some quirks; same for the "filter" function.

If there's an item you are trying to find on the GTN that you already have one of, or that is displayed in say, a crafting window, etc, you can hold Shift and click on the item and it's name will auto-fill in the GTN search box. (Provided the GTN is open, of course.)

Are you trying to equip a lightsaber on a character that uses a dualsaber (double bladed lightsaber)?
Any character that can wield a double-bladed lightsaber can also wield a single-bladed one. Double-checked this (excuse the pun) just now on a Sith Assassin, and while the Abilities list only shows Double-Bladed Lightsaber and Electrostaff for Weapon Proficiencies under Assassin, under Sith Inquisitor it shows Lightsaber, Training Saber and Vibrosword.

Back in the old days, all saber-wielding classes started with a single "training" saber, and you had to play through the starter planet story to get your first "real" lightsaber, and then continue on till you were at least level 10, and travel to Fleet and talk to your AC Trainer before choosing your Advanced Class and gaining the ability to dual wield or use a double-bladed saber. Now that you choose your Advanced Class at character creation, you get dual-wield or double-bladed saber ability, plus the gear pack with the appropriate "new" lightsaber, at level 1. Which makes for a rather significant disconnect when you get near the end of the starter planet story and build your first "real" lightsaber.

Another possibliity for the OP though: are you trying to use an off-hand-only saber with a character that does not have dual-wield ability? Or are you trying to equip an off-hand-only saber without having a weapon equipped in your main hand?

Edited by Adric_the_Red