Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Iokath: Explained

FlameYOL
10.02.2018 , 11:05 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by LordDelectus View Post
1. Has there been a major retcon on the destruction of Nathema? Was Vitiate's ritual not the sole cause of the consumption of all life on the planet? Are we now saying ZIldrog was part of this?
Yes, Zildrog is a part of it. But he merely consumed the life of the planet while Tenebrae consumed the force.

2. How do we know Zildrog was on Nathema prior to its destruction? I always assumed it was a later discovery by the Emperor hundreds of years following the establishment of the reconstituted Sith Empire. A tool squirreled way.
We don't, we definitely know he found it before the establishment of the reconstituted SIth Empire as he used it on the Nathema ritual, although I think it's very possible he might've not founded on Nathema and merely moved it to one of his vaults. Unless that specific Vault was built around Zildrog and not for Zildrog.

3. If Zildrog was conclusively on Nathema prior to its destruction, could Vitiate have discovered it and thus learned of the location of the Eternal Fleet from Zildrog? If not the location, then all things of interest in that section of Wild Space?
Perhaps. He found the fleet with the aid of the scions, but perhaps he found about its existence from Zildrog? Who knows.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

LordDelectus
10.03.2018 , 11:47 AM | #22
I think it should be clarified Disney reboot canon has no place in the Old Republic. It was based on the original canon as we all well know, so I am not sure how anything produced by Disney is relevant. We work with the Universe as it was always understood. The Essential Atlas being a key reference tool.

This sounds like a mess and I am putting this one on the Bioware team. Unless they plan on some major revelations about Vitiate traveling the galaxy around the time of the Great Galactic War, this makes minimal sense. It would also be contrary to the Tales of Jedi Comics. Sadow vs. Kressh was always about whether to leave the Caldera to explore new worlds to conquer.

Nathema was always was described as a quiet, Sith agrarian world, you can't just retcon it to Wild Space. It destroys everything we understand about the Sith Empire, Wild Space and the Great Galactic War. Sith Worlds were in the Stygian Caldera on the opposite side of the Galaxy from Wild Space. The Sith clearly did not leave the Calderra until the rule of Naga Sadow and the Great Hyperspace War did not last very long. Not enough time for Vitiate to wander the galaxy, stumble into Wild Space, find Zildrog and bring him back to Nathema.

It makes almost as little sense as the Iokath Creators dropping it on Nathema, though I see it being the only way to reconcile this. The creators must not have confined their experiments to the worlds of Wild Space, but had a vast domain. We are told they existed prior to the Manderon Period in 7,000 BBY.

I see two ways to reconcile this:

1. The Iokath rose and fell after the fall of the Rakata. The Rakata were too vicious to have not attacked Iokath and their territory was the majority of the galaxy, so these two forces could not have come into contact with each other.

AND

2. The Iokath would need to have fallen by the time the Republic began to really spread out. But that would have been closer to 15,000 BBY.

OR

3. Iokath creators specifically chose to avoid the Galactic Republic (keeping in the assumed timeline) and their territory extended from Wild Space, going west and north through the unknown regions and remaining rimward and eventually reached Sith Space. Perhaps Nathema was one of the most remote planets on their frontier and thus chosen to drop off Zildrog? If Vitiate the scholar and Lord of Nathema discovered the Dark Sanctuary and with it the maps and history of Iokath (but perhaps not the location of the sphere itself), he could have used that to discover the Chiss and explore the Unknown Regions and Wild Space?

We need to be realistic. The Republic took ages to chart the galaxy. Exploration was perilous. For a lone Sith to just stumble around and discover all this stuff without bumping into the Republic...it just doesn't work. I see option 3, being that Zildrog was dropped on Nathema and discovered by Vitiate millennia later...that is the only way this works without rebooting massive amounts of lore, which I am absolutely opposed to. If we go that route, these forums are pointless as understanding anything is pointless as it will all get tossed aside eventually when content creators get too lazy to do any research on the subject in which they create content.

If Boyd pulls a Disney and starts massive retconning stuff to conform to their creative impulses, then I am done with SWTOR.

phalczen
10.18.2018 , 06:08 PM | #23
1. Has there been a major retcon on the destruction of Nathema? Was Vitiate's ritual not the sole cause of the consumption of all life on the planet? Are we now saying ZIldrog was part of this?
We aren't saying it, Charles Boyd did. Here.
If Boyd pulls a Disney and starts massive retconning stuff to conform to their creative impulses, then I am done with SWTOR.
It isn't a total retcon. There is precedent for this. At least, precedent from an in game event revelation perspective as opposed to actual historical chronology. A certain number of deaths in the Republic-Empire Coalition against the Revanites on Yavin 4 had to occur for the Sacrificial Sphere to work and restore corporeal form to Vitiate. Similarly, a certain number of deaths caused by the Republic military action as well as the mass-possessions of the native Ziost populace were necessary to strengthen Vitiate, prior to his sending his twin sons, as Valkorion, to the larger galaxy. So, it isn't implausible that Tenebrae, in his effort to take over the Sith in the wake of Naga Sadow's defeat, studied the rituals allowing him to consume the Force essence, and in uncovering Zildrog, found the means by which he could fuel his ritual.

I agree with you though, how Zildrog ended up on Medriaas/Nathema is a mystery, with the idea that Iokath's builders purposefully left it on the planet being the least plausible idea.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Fallensouls
10.22.2018 , 07:12 PM | #24
Lots of good points and information about iokath. thank you all for that. You really making me wish Bioware would have made the new expansion on that planet and in that galaxy. Now we will never get answers to some of those questions. It is a shame really that planet was one of the best and most interesting for possibilities that they added.
Lead, Follow, or Get Out of my way, before you die.