Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech: Tanking and You

Zerophin
01.12.2012 , 04:07 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Darguth View Post
Eh, I still don't think Gut is such a clear-cut winner on the damage front. I think the main advantages of Gut over EB is the following:
- Simpler single-target rotation to maintain.
- DOT maintains threat during periods of CC or time spent out of melee.
- DOT can be applied to multiple targets if necessary for long-term, multi-target threat.

So I'd say that Gut is easier to use and perhaps a more forgiving ability to use, whereas EB gives you increased adaptability but requires more attention to use it to its full effect.
Well the only way EB wins in the threat department is if in fact you find yourself forced to Hammer Shot more often with Gut, because otherwise Gut seems to convincingly do more damage. Albeit the threat curve is different (upfront vs. over time.) I suspect Bioware wants us to use EB, so if Gut does "win" I wouldn't be surprised to see EB buffed (win/win.)

Regarding simplicity, I have two points:

1 - Simple is actually better when tanking; having highly involved rotations sounds "cool" in theory but in practice is only compelling when you're bored out of your mind bashing some random tank-and-spank boss. With dynamic encounters, adding excessive (key word) complexity to rotations often adds a layer that just becomes frustrating.

2 - I'm not sure Gut makes life materially easier as now you have to manage another debuff while playing with UI: Circa 1998. I do think EB will be more fun to "theorycraft" but I don't think Gut changes things so much that you can just bash a key while watching TV.

Definitely enjoying the dialogue and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong in the long-run regarding Gut. Maybe it's the fact I played a Druid tank/healer in WoW that makes me miss those lovely bleeds!

WimploMartin
01.13.2012 , 06:31 AM | #42
im a 50 vanguard tank for hard mode ops in EV

this is the spec i wanna try out

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#80...oroGZMsr0oZb.1

im just wondering how that would work i got 21.7k hp so i can lose the 300hp np and 4% shield chance im very geared and still have 43% shield chance with out the 4%

what ya guys think cause seems like my threat is real bad and ammo seems to never be a problem for me but my dps guildys seem to always pull aggro from me so any extra threat would help

MorningMusume
01.13.2012 , 07:01 AM | #43
Gut is NOT the solution to threat, you'll do less sustained threat with that build.

Gut vs E-blast is a difference of 3 energy cell every 15 seconds. That's 1.5 normal skills you'll have to change to Hammer Shots every 15 seconds. Doesn't make for it.

The best build for tanking on PvE is: 31/8/2

You can take a look at my spreadsheet, the Threat part is mostly oriented to Powertech, so you'll need to look around the names, as we are mirrors anyway.

Escaflownae
01.13.2012 , 06:46 PM | #44
I've been working on alot of EB testing recently and I'll post my findings here shortly. I was kind of underwhelmed by the numbers yet I can see it being a good skill for ops. I'll post it later.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the strength to do what is right in the face of it.

Need a referral? Here you go

Falkanos
01.13.2012 , 10:23 PM | #45
/bump from your brotha from anotha mando lol. nice guide goin !
The one the only Kowepounder! or cade' LOL

Necodreus
01.14.2012 , 10:59 AM | #46
Its more of an advanced thing, and im not sure if the numbers are known but on the stats, it would be nice to know the hard/soft caps and the diminishing returns start happening. Ive read in several places %'s and #'s people say but can never seem to remember them or find them again lol. having a stickied (congrats on that) guide would be helpful and quick way to find them. If thats not out of the question that is.
Primary Edict: Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly as possible. Cut with certainty. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into his strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit. It is the balance to life: death. Squadron 238B

aikitexan
01.15.2012 , 11:28 PM | #47
How effective is shield cycler? should i put the 2 pts there? I also want to be able to kill things not just take punishment.

I'm also new to mmo PvP, and I'm trying to get the mechanics. I've heard this isn't the easiest game for a tank, but I find it pretty fun, and regularly do 100k dmg and 40k protection; is this good? If not, may I get pointers?

Thank you
Drink water, drive on

True victory is victory over oneself

aikitexan
01.15.2012 , 11:29 PM | #48
Oh sorry, Im 26/3/3
Drink water, drive on

True victory is victory over oneself

Darguth
01.20.2012 , 10:08 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by aikitexan View Post
How effective is shield cycler? should i put the 2 pts there? I also want to be able to kill things not just take punishment.

I'm also new to mmo PvP, and I'm trying to get the mechanics. I've heard this isn't the easiest game for a tank, but I find it pretty fun, and regularly do 100k dmg and 40k protection; is this good? If not, may I get pointers?

Thank you
Shield Cycler is great and only gets better as you boost your Shield rating. Free Ammo = More Damage. Basically you get rewarded with extra damage/threat as you stack a defensive stat. Very tanky.

Also, to the OP, if you're interested in adding more advanced tools to this guide you might link to the following: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...5T3F2cXc#gid=0

DISCLAIMER: I did not create this spreadsheet, I found it on the forums. If I remembered from who I would give them credit, but I honestly just don't.

HOW TO USE: Save a local copy of the spreadsheet somewhere, change the Delta value to the one specified for Vanguards, plug in your own current stats, and the rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Escaflownae
01.23.2012 , 07:39 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Darguth View Post
Shield Cycler is great and only gets better as you boost your Shield rating. Free Ammo = More Damage. Basically you get rewarded with extra damage/threat as you stack a defensive stat. Very tanky.

Also, to the OP, if you're interested in adding more advanced tools to this guide you might link to the following: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...5T3F2cXc#gid=0

DISCLAIMER: I did not create this spreadsheet, I found it on the forums. If I remembered from who I would give them credit, but I honestly just don't.

HOW TO USE: Save a local copy of the spreadsheet somewhere, change the Delta value to the one specified for Vanguards, plug in your own current stats, and the rest is pretty self-explanatory.
I'd like to post that up but I'd want to give credit to the original creator. If you can give me that detail it'd be great.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the strength to do what is right in the face of it.

Need a referral? Here you go