Commando - Which cell in PvP, armor or plasma

WIZBASKY

Plasma or Armoring Piercing

I am 90% Gunnery Spec, I know that takes advantage of the Armor pierc cell by giving 1 energy back per/6 secs, But i could swear i do more dps with the plaamsa cell procccing.

Anyone done test with these 2 cells

I have shot full auto and basic shoot at a mob with armor cell and plasma cell (forget the proc of plasma) the damage is about the same.

I would have thought the armoro peirce cell would be higher to ofset no proc, but they about the same.

Anyone done any dps tests on dummies which cell is better.

ArP is much better for Gunnery because untalented Plasma is rather unimpressive and it takes away all the talent synergy with ArP.

Extra ammo regen alone is amazing. More ammo means more specials (means more DPS), and it makes the resource thresholds more forgiving, since it's not affected by regen degeneration. If you overextend (which may happen when you need to finish someone no matter the cost and recharge isn't available), you'll recover from being empty much quicker.

Edited by Helig

If your gunnery you use AP cell, little point using plasma

If your assault you use plasma

I'm undecided which spec is better for PvP, had half my guild telling me how gunnery is terrible for PvP and Assault is so much better but i can fairly similar numbers with both specs

If your gunnery you use AP cell, little point using plasma

If your assault you use plasma

I'm undecided which spec is better for PvP, had half my guild telling me how gunnery is terrible for PvP and Assault is so much better but i can fairly similar numbers with both specs

From my experience, Assault is good all'round, but Gunnery frontloaded spikes are amazing enough to consider when the character is geared to the eyebrows.

Unlike most skill trees, I think Gunnery only has one talent that actually requires you to be in armor piercing cell, the cell charger talent you mentioned above. I would imagine in a WZ you could get higher overall DPS running plasma cell even if spec'd into gunnery because of the plasma cell proc, assuming you are going around shooting a bunch of targets. On the flip side, I would think you would lose some single target dps without the increased armor penetration, for instance when you hit a target w/ 5 stacks of grav round with demo round. And, it is easy of course also for commandos to burn up our ammo, so the cell charger talent can't be easily dismissed.

I guess it's up to you what you think is best, but generally in PvP I think being able to kill a single target is higher up on the priority list than just lighting a bunch on fire with what will be a mediocre DoT.

From my experience, Assault is good all'round, but Gunnery frontloaded spikes are amazing enough to consider when the character is geared to the eyebrows.

I've tried running both in WZs and, to me, Commando Assault just feels too clunky with the abilities not fitting well together. Not to mention the ammo regen in Assault is abysmal.

With Gunnery, the skills seemed to flow into one another a lot better. Besides, if I wanted to run assault in something, I'd just do it on my VG with half the effort of a commando.

To OP: If you're running a gunnery specced commando, the AP cell is what you want.

I guess it's up to you what you think is best, but generally in PvP I think being able to kill a single target is higher up on the priority list than just lighting a bunch on fire with what will be a mediocre DoT.

This as well.

Edited by DariusCalera

I've tried running both in WZs and, to me, Commando Assault just feels too clunky with the abilities not fitting well together. Not to mention the ammo regen in Assault is abysmal.

With Gunnery, the skills seemed to flow into one another a lot better. Besides, if I wanted to run assault in something, I'd just do it on my VG with half the effort of a commando.

Because Assault is a 100% different playstyle from Gunnery. Assault is about being on your toes, and mimizing exposure time. You don't spam powersots to proc HiB. You DoT and bomb stuff up, then hammershoot it while constantly maneuvering. When you get openings, you finish them off with a spike. Charged bolts/powershots apply when you can afford standing still. Very flexible, but can be rather clunky, as well, as you said.

In case of Gunnery, however, the reward vs punishment balance for low mobility tilts towards reward. It can still do heavy damage on the move/LoS-dancing, provided you had the time to fire 2-3 gravs. I would not, however, advise running Gunnery without optimized WH and above, because reward vs risk of standing still ratio greatly diminishes at lower gear levels.

Edited by Helig

Because Assault is a 100% different playstyle from Gunnery. Assault is about being on your toes, and mimizing exposure time. You don't spam powersots to proc HiB. You DoT and bomb stuff up, then hammershoot it while constantly maneuvering. When you get openings, you finish them off with a spike. Charged bolts/powershots apply when you can afford standing still. Very flexible, but can be rather clunky, as well, as you said.

Flexible is not the word I would use. Poor imitation of the VG Assault is better. OK, so that's more than a word.

The actual mobility between each build is relatively similar. With the only real difference is that Assault gets an extra instant attack in Incendiary Round. Which, due to its high ammo cost, its situational in it's use. Spam that a few times and you're out of ammo and just using Hammer Shot.

In case of Gunnery, however, the reward vs punishment balance for low mobility tilts towards reward. It can still do heavy damage on the move/LoS-dancing, provided you had the time to fire 2-3 gravs. I would not, however, advise running Gunnery without optimized WH and above, because reward vs risk of standing still ratio greatly diminishes at lower gear levels.

For the most part I agree. But I think gunnery has more mobility that what you are giving it credit for.

Both builds though suffer from the same basic flaws of being self rooting ranged classes that are extremely vulnerable to interrupts.

Flexible is not the word I would use. Poor imitation of the VG Assault is better. OK, so that's more than a word.

The actual mobility between each build is relatively similar. With the only real difference is that Assault gets an extra instant attack in Incendiary Round. Which, due to its high ammo cost, its situational in it's use. Spam that a few times and you're out of ammo and just using Hammer Shot.

Disagree. VG Assault is a vastly different playstyle. It's heavy melee-range spike damage. Commando Assault is highly mobile 30-meter DoT/backloaded burst spec. Trying to play Commando assault as Vanguard assault is doomed to failure.

As far as I understand it, Commando Assault has a bigger emphasis on DoT damage and overall Tech damage, since there are a *lot* of easy-to-access tech crit talents. Inc round is your overtime skill, and you need it because you can't just burst stuff down, unless you overgear the enemy. You wear them down and finish them with relative impunity, because, unless they're chasing you specifically, they'll never target a LoS-dancing Commando.

For the most part I agree. But I think gunnery has more mobility that what you are giving it credit for.

Both builds though suffer from the same basic flaws of being self rooting ranged classes that are extremely vulnerable to interrupts.

That's what Assault partly addresses. I can spend an entire match without standing still for over half a second (trigger FA to trigger HiB and proceed with running) and still do boatloads of damage. Naturally, Charged shots are pretty easy to sneak in when you have the openings, further increasing HiB output.

My problem with Commando Assault is the lack of a reliable slow/root, slow resource generation, combat system doesn't really synergize. It stacks, but it just doesn't feel streamlined.

Edited by Helig

commandos should be using the vanguard cell in pvp.

reroll.

lol

there really is not any wiggle room for which cell/cylinder you choose. it is 100% dependent on which skill tree you spec into.

there was a brief time before 1.2, when rail shot resets were not tied to CGC, that i used HVGC as a Pyrotech for the extra armor pen. that was the only time i ever hit Thermal Det for >5k lol