A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

As I said before I make 100k off of terenthium in an hour. If that isn't casual then I don't know what is. And that's sending 2 companions, so you still have 4. And you can be doing what you want at the same time. No grind. Easy money. Win/win.

Sounds good until you factor in the shifting economy, more people selling the item means less demand per person, to combat that sellers undercut each other by selling for less than the cheapest price. Now lets say someone does this to you and the cheapest price is now not you, no one wants your price, so what do you do? You do it right back to them and sell for less than them, except it won't just be you if everyone needs to sell crafting mats to stay on top of repairs then everyone will do the same to make their offers the best out there.

Eventually your materials become almost worthless in an over-saturated market, it's called deflation, it's what happens when the something drains an economy, you will eventually be a victim regardless of your companion quests.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because repair costs are universal across every player - buying items is not. Not everyone may like the new speeders, gear, or whatever, or need the speeders, gear, or whatever, so it's half a solution at best. Everyone needs to repair gear so it makes for a more effective credit sink.

Again, just because we haven't seen the inflation doesn't mean it wasn't on the horizon or subtly already in the process. I don't see the need for the patch notes to indicate that it was done to combat the inflation - the repair costs exist for solely that reason to begin with. When you look at the bigger picture, every patch has brought more ways to make credits, thus steadily increasing the amount of credits in game, yet there have been no new gold sinks as I recall introduced, so to finally have one of the main gold sinks increased for the first time since the game launched only makes sense at this point. Better to keep the economy balanced now rather than try to fix problems later (just ask Greece and America).

Never, in fact I wish there weren't repair costs to begin with, but again, it is needed for the overall health of the economy which translates to overall health of the game.

BJ

^Bump.

That will actually cause inflation. The less money people have the less they are likely to sell something on the GTN at just nil prices or putting it up at all. Meaning the group putting stuff up on the GTN have free range to price whatever they want without stability. Bad system. Any type of cap on anything causes inflation. Just like real world economics.

Not true. If credits were capped at 2M things would cost less because there would be less available cash in the economy. If people have less money to spend what makes you think they would be willing to pay more for anything? Also, in real world economics, governments decrease the money supply to bring down prices not to increase them.

Not true. If credits were capped at 2M things would cost less because there would be less available cash in the economy. If people have less money to spend what makes you think they would be willing to pay more for anything? Also, in real world economics, governments decrease the money supply to bring down prices not to increase them.

As i said above (or on the previous page)

a cap would only hurt the poor, while hurting the rich to much lower level

the rich would remain rich, getting to cap on every toon, also 2m is an insanely low cap

Edited by DarthVenizen

As i said above (or on the previous page)

a cap would only hurt the poor

the rich would remain rich, getting to cap on every toon, also 2m is an insanely low cap.

Only for the insanely rich. The rest of us don't mind.

Edited by TheSkate

Sounds good until you factor in the shifting economy, more people selling the item means less demand per person, to combat that sellers undercut each other by selling for less than the cheapest price. Now lets say someone does this to you and the cheapest price is now not you, no one wants your price, so what do you do? You do it right back to them and sell for less than them, except it won't just be you if everyone needs to sell crafting mats to stay on top of repairs then everyone will do the same to make their offers the best out there.

Eventually your materials become almost worthless in an over-saturated market, it's called deflation, it's what happens when the something drains an economy, you will eventually be a victim regardless of your companion quests.

I've made money this way since start of game. Differing prices. I lock my prices at a specific amount. I never go lower. They aren't the most expensive and they aren't the cheapest, I always have 50 mails with credits in them when I log in. And I don't just sell terenthium, I spread it through all 6 UW metals.

Better to keep the economy balanced now rather than try to fix problems later (just ask Greece and America)./QUOTE]

Greece and America have very little in common so I'm not sure what point you were trying to make. The ability to create new money out of thin air is a luxury the Greeks don't have.

Edited by Plicitous

Because repair costs are universal across every player - buying items is not. Not everyone may like the new speeders, gear, or whatever, or need the speeders, gear, or whatever, so it's half a solution at best. Everyone needs to repair gear so it makes for a more effective credit sink.

Again, just because we haven't seen the inflation doesn't mean it wasn't on the horizon or subtly already in the process. I don't see the need for the patch notes to indicate that it was done to combat the inflation - the repair costs exist for solely that reason to begin with. When you look at the bigger picture, every patch has brought more ways to make credits, thus steadily increasing the amount of credits in game, yet there have been no new gold sinks as I recall introduced, so to finally have one of the main gold sinks increased for the first time since the game launched only makes sense at this point. Better to keep the economy balanced now rather than try to fix problems later (just ask Greece and America).

Never, in fact I wish there weren't repair costs to begin with, but again, it is needed for the overall health of the economy which translates to overall health of the game.

BJ

The problem here is that inflation doesn't effect everyone, prices on GTN might go up but many people don't even use it. Instead those people will lose too much as the money sink here like you said effects everyone even those unaffected by the problem they might have been trying to fix in the first place. Unfortunately inflation in the GTN might be a lesser of two cons in this situation.

Supply and demand. With less money, people demand less. It's how it works in the real world. You know if people have excess money they are willing to spend their money etc. etc. Same in game. People aren't going to be willing to spend their credits on things on the GTN. We would be looking at an ingame depression >.>

Supply and demand. With less money, people demand less. It's how it works in the real world. You know if people have excess money they are willing to spend their money etc. etc. Same in game. People aren't going to be willing to spend their credits on things on the GTN. We would be looking at an ingame depression >.>

And that would be bad for who? Oh yea, the overly rich players that don't care about the repair cost increases.

I've made money this way since start of game. Differing prices. I lock my prices at a specific amount. I never go lower. They aren't the most expensive and they aren't the cheapest, I always have 50 mails with credits in them when I log in. And I don't just sell terenthium, I spread it through all 6 UW metals.

Aye but the higher repair costs means more people looking for easy credit grabs, if people all took your advice of selling materials(any materials, including UW materials) then you will find more competition in the market, if you don't lower your prices that doesn't mean no one else will. Meaning if there are 10, 20 even 100 people all selling UW metals cheaper then you are they will cut into your profits.

We're probably actually looking at things becoming a barter system. Seen it happen in games with currency caps before. Unless the credit influx is somehow reduced, goods will merely be used for equivalent value.

Edited by Vandicus

Personally I haven't noticed any crippling repair bills. I play a non deaths kinda game and if I die I am very pissed off with myself. Are the people who are moaning dying 5 or 6 times on a raid? Or do they simply have such uber gear (mine is all black hole and columi) that it costs them a fortune because they have better gear than me, or have I just never got the advantage because I have always used non orange gear?

Personally I dont see the problem. I believe death should be punished and very harshly not a few 1000 credit repair bill. However I am sure if enough people stand up and refush to run FP, OP and Raids then BW will lower the cost of repairing gear maybe even make it free.

Aye but the higher repair costs means more people looking for easy credit grabs, if people all took your advice of selling materials(any materials, including UW materials) then you will find more competition in the market, if you don't lower your prices that doesn't mean no one else will. Meaning if there are 10, 20 even 100 people all selling UW metals cheaper then you are they will cut into your profits.

That is true. But in similar fashion if there was that much crafting material on the market, then that means the item is still selling good. So selling my metals at mid range price, which is what I always sell for will still be viable. The cheaper it is the faster it sells, leaving people with the next expensive option that's not the most crazy expensive option so they still buy it.

Ah, "entitled." I wondered when that word would join us. I'd been quite impressed with the posters thus far in avoiding the cliche of it.

It is not illogical to ask for bugs to be embraced IF THE RESULTS OF THE BUG ARE POSITIVE. Contrarily, it would be ILLOGICAL to say "why hello bug, I know the results of fixing you will suck, but you're a bug and therefore you must be squashed." That bug may have started out as unintended, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be delibrately kept.

Besides all that nonsense, in this case I don't think they should roll back the bug because that wouldn't help people who are using unmodded gear. They should, instead, reduce the repair costs across the board to the level moddable gear had before.

So if there was a bug that caused all Imperials to be immortal in PvP, they should keep the bug? After all, by all accounts there are more Imperials playing the game than Pubs, so the bug benefits the majority of players.

Easy fix. Make the credit cap 2 million credits per character. That is nearly double the max credits I have ever accumulated at one time adding up all my characters combined and more than enough for any player. There. No more hyperinflation and less people cancelling subs because they can't "afford" to play any more. Having to grind credits as many hours as you raid just to pay for repairs - that is crap.

Would only work if you prevented people from buying character slots in the CM. You would then enter P2W territory as then those who can afford to buy more character slots would have a way to get around that issue, as well as use Guild Bank storage for overflow as well.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

Personally I haven't noticed any crippling repair bills. I play a non deaths kinda game and if I die I am very pissed off with myself. Are the people who are moaning dying 5 or 6 times on a raid? Or do they simply have such uber gear (mine is all black hole and columi) that it costs them a fortune because they have better gear than me, or have I just never got the advantage because I have always used non orange gear?

Personally I dont see the problem. I believe death should be punished and very harshly not a few 1000 credit repair bill. However I am sure if enough people stand up and refush to run FP, OP and Raids then BW will lower the cost of repairing gear maybe even make it free.

Well, since you don't use orange gear, you don't raid. So I will let you in on a secret. It is very common to die 10 times in a raid that you know. When learning a raid, as another poster stated earlier, "real raiding guilds" may die 100 times in 1 raid just to try to get that server first or world first kill of a boss.

So if there was a bug that caused all Imperials to be immortal in PvP, they should keep the bug? After all, by all accounts there are more Imperials playing the game than Pubs, so the bug benefits the majority of players.

BJ

Apples and oranges. One is game breaking, one isn't.

BJ

Bad example as almost a third of their player base would be impacted negatively, who suffers if repair costs aren't expensive?

Edited by yfnoggin

BJ

While I understand and somewhat agree with your sentiment I think there couldve been a better way to go about it. There are all sorts of money sinks people have been asking for for some time now. Some more I've seen pop up more recently. Pazzak games that can be bet on, speeder racing that can be bet on, hell one that I really liked was a section set up in the fleets where people could watch random huttball games on screens and bet on them. There have been a bunch of ideas (some good some not so much) floated out there that I find it impossible to believe that the devs saw.no other way to go about this. For the record I'm not opposed to evening out the repair costs between people in the standard end game affair and those with oranges with end game mods but the price should not be quite where its at now either.

Apples and oranges. One is game breaking, one isn't.

But that wasn't the point being made. The point being made that if a mechanic in the game is broken, but most of the players like the broken mechanic, it shouldn't be fixed.

Easier fix. If it's so important to the devs to destroy credits, put something cool on a credit-based vendor and charge a ton for it instead of putting EVERYTHING cool on the RMT vendor.

If destroying credits isn't important enough to do that, roll back this change.

Again, not that effective. Gold sinks are effective when they are applied to the entire game population. A vendor is voluntary so would not be as effective.

BJ

But that wasn't the point being made. The point being made that if a mechanic in the game is broken, but most of the players like the broken mechanic, it shouldn't be fixed.

Nope, you missed the point. The point was that if a bug resulted in a postive change for the game it should be kept. That's significantly different from a majority of players like it therefore it should be kept.

Besides that, your example would result in negative for everyone as immortal Imperial players would kill all pvp therefore leaving no fun for Republic or Imperial players. Bad logic.

Edited by iamthehoyden

Nope, you missed the point. The point was that if a bug resulted in a postive change for the game it should be kept. That's significantly different from a majority of players like it therefore it should be kept.

Besides that, your example would result in negative for everyone as immortal Imperial players would kill all pvp therefore leaving no fun for Republic or Imperial players. Bad logic.

But the problem is that a broken gold sink is not positive for the game. A game with a broken economy hurts all players and eventually the game goes away. The bad logic is assuming a broken gold sink is good for the game. It is not.

Bad example as almost a third of their player base would be impacted negatively, who suffers if repair costs aren't expensive?

Eventually? Everyone does. See above.

While I understand and somewhat agree with your sentiment I think there couldve been a better way to go about it. There are all sorts of money sinks people have been asking for for some time now. Some more I've seen pop up more recently. Pazzak games that can be bet on, speeder racing that can be bet on, hell one that I really liked was a section set up in the fleets where people could watch random huttball games on screens and bet on them. There have been a bunch of ideas (some good some not so much) floated out there that I find it impossible to believe that the devs saw.no other way to go about this. For the record I'm not opposed to evening out the repair costs between people in the standard end game affair and those with oranges with end game mods but the price should not be quite where its at now either.

All good ideas, but again a truly effective gold sink needs to be universal. Gambling sinks are not as not everyone is going to gamble. Therefore the only true effective gold sink in the game is the repair cost. Most certainly I would advocate for lowering that cost somewhat if additional gold sinks are added to the game. However, this is what we have so it is necessary to ensure it continues to be effective.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

Again, not that effective. Gold sinks are effective when they are applied to the entire game population. A vendor is voluntary so would not be as effective.

BJ

There are no effective gold sinks, a gold sink this strong that applies to absolutely everyone will create deflation to a point where the attempts to avoid inflation has caused an economic collapse where no one can afford to buy anything. You can't apply a blanket drain like this, you have to chip away from different angles like the ones suggested so you don't reduce it too drastically.

Also the repair costs were already a penalty, it wasn't a broken feature, casual players were just able to stay afloat and enjoy themselves. No one was negatively effective by the supposed bug, if you claim your game was somehow impacted negatively then go ahead and explain how.