Do sith care about their family?

Highsis

I know they do to certain extent, but how far is the line drawn?

Would a typical sith throw his life away to save his son/daughter? Would a typical sith not cheat on their spouse against their appetence?

I looked up wookipedia for some info but there weren't any mention of sith's family value. please enlighten me.

I am aware that this greatly depends on an individual but I want to hear the common answer. For a sith, one might be deemed weak if he/she displays too much affection for his/her family.

Edited by Highsis

well sith are very passionate people. i would assume they would flip out. prone to domestic abuse. all that jazz. im sure theres some that would save their family out of their own sacrifice. but one thing ive noticed, most sith are extremely greedy and self centered.

i would think most sith would gladly kill their own family if it benefited them.

obviously this doesnt apply to all sith, but just most.

Let the emotions go as far as allowed until they put you in a position of disadvantage or weakness, then cut them off, usually with finality.

For example, a typical Sith might love their children/spouse and push for them to excel. However, no matter how much they care for them (this is assuming a DS Sith) if an enemy were to take advantage of this and attempt to manipulate the loved one to go against the Sith or use them as a hostage, the Sith would eliminate the loved one to regain the advantage.

They may feel remorse or even regret, but they knew that if they were to not eliminate the weakness they would have been defeated.

Darth Malgus is a good example, he killed his lover whom was one of the few to ever see the good side of him and totally understand his goals and drive. He did it because he knew she would be seen as a weakness and his opponents would use her against him. Killing her allowed him to free himself of entangling emotions and truly break his "chains".

Edited by DeutschGamer

I think they do care but problem is their thirst for power.

Maybe this won't be the best example, but even here, you can see people leaving their lovers because of religion, nationality, EVEN JOB!

I do remember one guy saying he would never be with his girfriend is she had different nationality. You can blame him, but took me couple of minutes to figure out where and how he grew up.

Some people menage to run away from that mentality but, as you can see, 90% can't - or else we would not have wars :D.

That is how I see Sith. That is how I saw Malgus. :o

Fondness. Pride. Desire. I can see these emotions coming into play. In most cases, none of them are enough to overcome ambition or self-interest.

What evidence do we have? Pride: A Sith Inquisitor's ancestor is deeply interested in seeing his/her scion succeed and carry on the family line. Senseless power trip: An Imperial Agent's supervisor spends years brutally abusing his daughter, both physically and psychologically. It's unclear why: is she a toy? an experiment? somebody to be hardened into survival (too bad it turned into insanity)? Anger and ambition: A Warrior's opponent's resentful Sith wife can't wait to get him out of the way and assign his power to their more pliable son. The son, interestingly, is selflessly interested in defending his mother. Poor kid. Ambition: Another Warrior's opponent has a sister who is about the opponent's equal in power and it is generally expected that they will ally against any comers. Fondness: A Warrior's ally proudly assists his daughter as a student, and if a confrontation between them must arise he is genuinely unhappy to have to kill her.

Culturally there appears to be zero stigma about abusing or slaughtering your family.

So I can say Sith may love their families, and are happy to see them succeed so long as they're sharing the wealth; but love is not the dominant factor, and selfless caring is rare. The parent/child relationship appears to be by far the strongest one.

Edited by bright_ephemera
clarity

Darth Malgus is a good example, he killed his lover whom was one of the few to ever see the good side of him and totally understand his goals and drive. He did it because he knew she would be seen as a weakness and his opponents would use her against him. Killing her allowed him to free himself of entangling emotions and truly break his "chains".

That's actually foolish, the desire to protect your loved ones makes you stronger in many situation.

That's actually foolish, the desire to protect your loved ones makes you stronger in many situation.

But to not have a loved one that might fall into danger or an opponent would harm to affect you allows one to avoid such situations entirely. She was an obstacle in his way to his duty as a Sith and was causing him to lose favor from political superiors like Darth Angral, so he killed her to free himself of such bonds.

Quite bittersweet but it worked for him.

I think it really depends on the Sith. Some might give anything for their families, some might take the Darth Malgus route of "eliminating the weakness" because they care too much, some might see their families as simply an extension of their power or bloodline.

I think most Sith/Imperials genuinely do care for their families at least a little, though, and that could manifest itself in a lot of ways. The whole "tough love" thing is probably popular among Sith parents.

It depends, but the general rule is that Sith care about themselves first and foremost. Giving your life to save your child is very unSith-like; it's what redeemed Darth Vader and why it's said that he died as a Jedi not a Sith.

Part of me suspects that for our TOR sith, family is generally most likely more about legacy than anything else and your first male and female force sensative childeren are the ones you come close to caring about. I'd also say it probably normally takes until their mid 30s to early 40s for sith to reach a marriage point of life not only due to humans being able to get into the at least hundreds due to technology, but because the sith code seems to make them less likely to hop into a marriage.

As for the mom and dad of the relationship I think the dynamics differ a bit based on if your both sith or if only one is sith. For two sith my guess is your gonna be inclined to for marriage to work you both view each other as a close ally where only the more extreme situations come above it, though based on seeing DS Jaesa romance I'd also say they generally don't care as much about extramarital activities as long as they aren't that public, don't go beyond a physical relationship, and don't lead to children. For an sith and nonsith, unless she is from an important family, my guess is that the non sith partner is normally more like a possession and far more expendable in the pursuit of power. Though of course both types probably vary a bit based on the individuals.

Edited by DesAnvos