Sith Inquisitor story vs. Sith Warrior (SPOILERS)

Esbia

Sorry for the late reply.

Your point about Marr's appointing the SInq to take Makeb may well be partially correct -- the endeavour's odds of success are so low that Marr needs a scapegoat if it goes wrong, while being ready to take the credit if it doesn't -- but you forget how important the operation is. Even Marr admits that the Empire needs to take Makeb in order to have any chance to win this war. The Inquisitor being the "only one available" doesn't cut it. Makeb is more important than, say, capturing the Shroud. Marr doesn't have high hopes for the operation's success, but considering the Inquisitor's track record, he's probably the best bet. Is the Inquisitor inexperienced at politics? Yeah. Is he being manipulated? To some extent, probably. Is he a force to be reckoned with? Oh, very much so.

Similarly, your argument about Corellia and Ilum is nonsensical. Both were Phyrric victories, but in both cases that was anything but the PC's fault. The PC's involvement on Corellia actually turns the tide and minimalises casualties, and it is only after they leave that the Empire takes its massive losses. Darth Nox / Imperius / whatever isn't on the planet when the Republic PC takes out three Dark Councillors in five minutes. Similarly for Ilum.

On another note, claiming that using Nox makes magicallypuzzled's argument any less valid is nonsense. It doesn't matter what you call him (or her, for that matter -- how dare you ignore everyone who has played a female inquisitor, for some weird reason! :mad:). Everyone knows who is meant. Darth Nox happens to be a useful short-hand because we all know that, if it comes down to it, side material will always treat the canonical Inquisitor as Dark Side. It's what has happened with every Star Wars RPG ever: Jedi good, Sith bad. Even Wookiepedia calls him Nox.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your point about Marr's appointing the SInq to take Makeb may well be partially correct -- the endeavour's odds of success are so low that Marr needs a scapegoat if it goes wrong, while being ready to take the credit if it doesn't -- but you forget how important the operation is. Even Marr admits that the Empire needs to take Makeb in order to have any chance to win this war. The Inquisitor being the "only one available" doesn't cut it. Makeb is more important than, say, capturing the Shroud. Marr doesn't have high hopes for the operation's success, but considering the Inquisitor's track record, he's probably the best bet. Is the Inquisitor inexperienced at politics? Yeah. Is he being manipulated? To some extent, probably. Is he a force to be reckoned with? Oh, very much so. (...)

Been through that already...

(...) He turns to the Sith Inquisitor because he can't even pretend to be capable of commanding any other Dark Lord in the Council. (...)

I'm talking about other Dark Council members who'd be willing to indulge Darth Marr and take action on Makeb.

Also, any operation pertaining the Shroud would be overseen by Darth Mortis, seeing that's his Sphere of Influence. It makes little sense to even bring it up.

Similarly, your argument about Corellia and Ilum is nonsensical. Both were Phyrric victories, but in both cases that was anything but the PC's fault. (...)

Hardly nonsensical.

There was no actual victory on Corellia to speak of.

Saying that the PC had no hand or fault in it, both as the Sith Inquisitor and the Sith Warrior, is negating the reality of events pretty much. They both participated in it, the Inquisitor the most of the two.

The PC's involvement on Corellia actually turns the tide and minimalises casualties, and it is only after they leave that the Empire takes its massive losses. Darth Nox / Imperius / whatever isn't on the planet when the Republic PC takes out three Dark Councillors in five minutes. Similarly for Ilum.

See above.

Again, you're negating the reality of events.

On another note, claiming that using Nox makes magicallypuzzled's argument any less valid is nonsense. It doesn't matter what you call him (or her, for that matter -- how dare you ignore everyone who has played a female inquisitor, for some weird reason! :mad:). Everyone knows who is meant. Darth Nox happens to be a useful short-hand because we all know that, if it comes down to it, side material will always treat the canonical Inquisitor as Dark Side. It's what has happened with every Star Wars RPG ever: Jedi good, Sith bad. Even Wookiepedia calls him Nox.

It only reinforces what I said earlier: People have an issue discussing certain elements pertaining the game's story from an objective perspective, always opting for over projecting whatever they feel and know about their characters, instead of relying in key aspects of the story; They seem to be incapable - or maybe unwilling - to detach themselves and this latest discussion reveals as much.

When confronted with objective evidence such as in-game or expanded material, it is either "out of date" or "old", with their version of Darth <insert your preference here> apparently superseding it.

Also...

(...) Even Wookiepedia calls him Nox.

That matters little to me in face of this.

Just an honest oversight! The text will be updated to correct the issue in a future update.

It is possible that someday far from now, a future product may depend on setting canon versions of some events, as happened with KOTOR and KOTOR II. Nobody can say for sure. But we do not have any plans to ever declare the "canon" version of any decision your character makes while the game is live. That's up to you.

Thought we had gone through that already.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Even Wookiepedia calls him Nox.

Wookiee calls him Nox for continuity. When the game came out and people wanted to add the stories from it, they had a vote for the sake of continuity in the story. The result was that they agreed to have all Imp classes DS and all Rep classes LS. That's why he's referred to as Darth Nox, even though it's not actually canon.

Can't say I read though all the pages but here are my two cent views on the sith stories and the jedi ones also:

Warrior: I liked the story, currently ranked 3/8 most favourite. It is enganging, interesting, very much related to what is going on around the character and actually provides key elements to the swtor overall story.

Inquisitor: I liked it also, 4/8 most favourite. Especially, I liked that it actually does not force you to play dark like the warroir does and can be a rogue independent Sith, something like the latest Beniko. On the other hand I felt like you were on your own completely separate tangent without being part of the war that is happening around and not contributing much either. Hence, 4th even if it is a really nice story with some amazing cut-scenes graphicswise.

Consular: Missed first spot that would be co-occupied with the agent's story, so 2/8 most favourite, only due to the unncecessary long first chapter. It encapsulates what being a jedi is while being part of the overall story and contributing greatly to it. I find it having a slight bias towards playing light side but truely awesome and most enjoyable.

Knight: Yes it is very much related to the happenings around and has key elements to the overall universe, but that's about it. The exaggaration is magnificent and comical. Stronger than Skywalkers combined together in such a short time. Plus the ending is such a major blow to the empire that at that point is surprising that the imps have not retreated again after the final chapter of this story. Just blah. Least favourite story of all, right to the bottom ranked 8/8.

Edited by MusicRider

Last I checked, I never stated that any other member in the Dark Council said to the Sith Inquisitor that the latter was insignificant and what not.

Learn to read please.

What I said is that in the Annihilation novel, Marr says that he only convened the RELEVANT(!!!) Dark Council members to decide who would be the next new Councilor: Karrid or Gravus.

Before that, we also have

Until you have more recent or new information that directly contradicts this, what I say remains both OBJECTIVE and FACTUAL. It is both in the game and in the expanded material. If you have an issue with either of them, there's nothing I can do.

However, claiming that the info is "old" or "out of date" - the latter is laughable BTW - only reinforces what I said earlier:

Not much else.

It's not Darth Nox. It can be Nox, Imperius or Oculus. Yet again, you're reinforcing what I said earlier.

Also, I addressed that already but as with many other things, you either have an issue with reading them or just ignore it altogether:

"Offense"? No offense, but are you delusional? :confused:

Again, not Nox.

Last I checked, saying that Thanaton was a better Sith than Ravage gave him credit for his not exactly the same as having high amounts of respect or considering him his equal. The fact that he stood alone against the Sith Inquisitor - unlike Baras initially against the Wrath - speaks volumes I think.

Also, yet again(!), not Nox.

Your further insistence in referring to the Sith Inquisitor as "Darth Nox" only undermines whatever you have to say about the character, from a neutral standpoint. More objective analysis into the game's story and less projecting, please.

in your original post you certainly did call darth nox synonyms for all of those than when called on it stated you had evidence i then told you what evidence actually is and not your interpretation. you don't have the evidence as you just admitted so your interpretation is just that interpretation.

i acknowledged the different ways darth nox can be called as well as he's/her's ambiguous gender at the beginning of my first post to reference him/her i feel no need to do so everytime i intend to reference him/her implying that i should is pedantic.

i already gave you evidence directly contradicting it don't blame me for your refusal to accept it while at the same time saying i am refusing to accept your outdated obscure reference, that has already been retconned on one fact that it gave namely the number of active capital ships the empire has available, a reference that doesn't even say all that you're saying it does.

edit your wrong by the way about me being attached to the darth nox name my sith is light 4 i simply used nox as the least likely name to be misunderstood/nick picked about congratulations on proving me wrong about that if nothing else.

Edited by magicallypuzzled

• 4 weeks later...

The reaction to baras's betrayal really depends on how you imagine your characters personality.

My warrior wasn't ''I'm going to kill Darth Doughnut for betraying me'' or '''I'll do it for the empire!''. He actually was more impressed as he already admired Baras's power and smarts, he only wanted to kill Baras because he was a challenging opponent.

• 1 month later...