Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Flashiest Tank?


LocoJediman's Avatar


LocoJediman
05.07.2012 , 01:07 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ElevenBfour View Post
Awesome, thanks for the replies. Assassin it is. Also, didn't realize they had self heals, thats really cool. One thing I loved about the my DK and ShadowKnight (eq2) classes was the self heals.
if you enjoyed the DK playstyle, then Assassin is definitely the way to go, with Pulls, casting barriers around yourself, and reliable self heals. Solo play you are going to have a blast as a Assassin tank.

DweezillKagemand's Avatar


DweezillKagemand
05.07.2012 , 02:29 PM | #12
Sniper.
Dweezill
Top Hatin' Player

Hextasy's Avatar


Hextasy
05.07.2012 , 02:31 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ElevenBfour View Post
Does another tank have the selfs heals Assn's and Shadow's do?
I don't know for sure since I'm still leveling my assassin (enjoying it), but for powertech tank you can look into kolto overload. It is a 3m CD which puts a HoT on you (15% of your max health over 10 sec). The bounty hunter FAQ stated the powertech tank has weakest survival CDs.

The other thing with powertech is that you can always put guard on others (with your ion gas cylinder) whereas as shadow you kinda cannot while stealthed because dmg puts you out of stealth. Changing your gas cylinder is a 1,5 sec cast, and changing your lightsaber charge is instant and works in stealth but uses 100 force.

As for tanking, I understand the compares and support people trying to compare as a matter of discussion but you cannot compare 1:1 with WoW.

Powertech also have a "death grip" called grapple. It is the same as assassin, same CD. Only the powertech tanks have, in tier 5, a charge (15 sec CD). The assassin have 30 sec CD force speed. Both have their + and -, in both PvP and PvE.

Assassin have stealth; DK don't. Powertech don't either,

I haven't played sith warrior yet, cannot comment.

It also really depends on context. Do you want to PvP or PvE?

ElevenBfour's Avatar


ElevenBfour
05.07.2012 , 08:03 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Hextasy View Post
I don't know for sure since I'm still leveling my assassin (enjoying it), but for powertech tank you can look into kolto overload. It is a 3m CD which puts a HoT on you (15% of your max health over 10 sec). The bounty hunter FAQ stated the powertech tank has weakest survival CDs.

The other thing with powertech is that you can always put guard on others (with your ion gas cylinder) whereas as shadow you kinda cannot while stealthed because dmg puts you out of stealth. Changing your gas cylinder is a 1,5 sec cast, and changing your lightsaber charge is instant and works in stealth but uses 100 force.

As for tanking, I understand the compares and support people trying to compare as a matter of discussion but you cannot compare 1:1 with WoW.

Powertech also have a "death grip" called grapple. It is the same as assassin, same CD. Only the powertech tanks have, in tier 5, a charge (15 sec CD). The assassin have 30 sec CD force speed. Both have their + and -, in both PvP and PvE.

Assassin have stealth; DK don't. Powertech don't either,

I haven't played sith warrior yet, cannot comment.

It also really depends on context. Do you want to PvP or PvE?
I don't mean to compare it to wow. Even when going from WoW to EQ2, to Aion, War also, I never really felt like a true 'Noob" again. Moving from WoW to this game, I really felt like I was playing an MMO for the first time with how much learning there was to do. Maybe also because i've never played a Sci-Fi type game. Was all so new to me. But yeah, I'll be PvE'ing with this toon mainly.

Hextasy's Avatar


Hextasy
05.08.2012 , 09:31 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ElevenBfour View Post
I don't mean to compare it to wow. Even when going from WoW to EQ2, to Aion, War also, I never really felt like a true 'Noob" again. Moving from WoW to this game, I really felt like I was playing an MMO for the first time with how much learning there was to do. Maybe also because i've never played a Sci-Fi type game. Was all so new to me. But yeah, I'll be PvE'ing with this toon mainly.
Learning curve? You haven't tried EvE yet

Squidkidz's Avatar


Squidkidz
05.09.2012 , 06:56 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Hextasy View Post

The other thing with powertech is that you can always put guard on others (with your ion gas cylinder) whereas as shadow you kinda cannot while stealthed because dmg puts you out of stealth. Changing your gas cylinder is a 1,5 sec cast, and changing your lightsaber charge is instant and works in stealth but uses 100 force.

The whole guard popping you out of stealth shouldn't really be an issue, if you're a tank you should be the main focus of whatever is causing that person damage anyways. As far as switching charges there really is no reason to switch from anything but Dark Charge when you are in the role of tanking. As far as PvP goes it'd be nice to switch charges in some circumstances but you never NEED to switch charges.
Majinn | Blāck
<Hey im mvp> Sexual Harassment Specialist
IInfinite Empire > The Bastion

jasohans's Avatar


jasohans
05.10.2012 , 08:39 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ElevenBfour View Post
Does another tank have the selfs heals Assn's and Shadow's do?
Yes, kind of. Vanguards have a self heal on a long cooldown and I'm sure Guardians do too (as well as their respective mirrors). Shadows/Assassins though have constant healing. In an OP I usually run around 150 - 200 HPS on my Shadow which really adds up over the course of a fight; a lot of the longer fights I heal myself for around 100k.

Hextasy's Avatar


Hextasy
05.10.2012 , 04:45 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Squidkidz View Post
The whole guard popping you out of stealth shouldn't really be an issue, if you're a tank you should be the main focus of whatever is causing that person damage anyways. As far as switching charges there really is no reason to switch from anything but Dark Charge when you are in the role of tanking. As far as PvP goes it'd be nice to switch charges in some circumstances but you never NEED to switch charges.
Yes, it actually is an issue because you can be stealthed and guard the ball carrier. You need to time your guard with your unstealth (where, when, why). This means you cannot just guard the ball carrier like a pwtech tank can because it is a choice which comes with an effect whereas as a pwtech tank you can just guard the ball carrier and you won't unstealth. Sometimes, it is better to not guard the ball carrier, not unstealth, because he's going to make it anyway. and you can actually go back to grab ball or stand for a catch.

My comment is about PvP since I don't care much about PvE, but I can imagine some situations where you only need 1 tank.

I'm still levelling my sin, and I can surely find situations where I'd like to switch charges. For example, if I become ball carrier I switch charges. In Voidstar it depends on role. For example if you just lost 1st doors switching charge makes you survive longer. If that means you can interrupt more, that's alright. If I can guard the healer who then heals and we can save ourselves time and let people respawn.

stephenjohnp's Avatar


stephenjohnp
05.13.2012 , 08:05 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Lindraskada View Post
cant check them atm, so figures might be slightly off, but the PT and Jugg both get a 30% more health + heal, on a 90 sec cd.. iirc
I cannot comment for the Powertech, but you are wrong about the Juggernaut.

caveslug's Avatar


caveslug
05.13.2012 , 11:02 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Lindraskada View Post
cant check them atm, so figures might be slightly off, but the PT and Jugg both get a 30% more health + heal, on a 90 sec cd.. iirc
I think his main point, was the are the only tanks with a heal worth a damn. and its part of there rotation.
The BH/Commando heal is a joke, its 15% of your health over 10 sec. on a 3 min CD.
#1 reply to all PvP threads.....L2P