Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Tons of Inquisitors


verfallen's Avatar


verfallen
04.05.2012 , 12:17 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by CJ_SAX_MAN View Post
True, as an old WoW player I totally understand that about the casters. Most ranged classes are in some way similar to Hunters from WoW. (though I guess probably have more charged attacks depending on class and spec, I am not well educated on Troopers/BHs and Smugglers/IAs.

I also didn't mean to make it seem like Assassins were weaker tanks, when I talk about an off-tank, I usually mean one that has a superior AoE to the other tank and has an easier time managing adds and such. Though often an offtank has been mistaken for the tank that is weaker and just not as geared as the MT, which is not the intended purpose of the off-tank role. I am sure they can hold their own against anything just as well. Perhaps a slightly lower rate of survivability (often hear them compared to Death Knight Tanks), but just slightly. Every class of tank has its stronger and weaker points. As far as I have seen, the Juggernaut is extremely similar to the WoW prot warrior. Great survivability, if well geared, can pump out some huge if not the best threat against single targets such as a boss. Can't remember what all their other strongsuits are compared to others, I am new to this game and it has been awhile since my WoW days. Based on the Patterns it seems as if the Assassin tanks would have the best AoE, possibly be good against ranged targets (assuming they are indeed like DKs and have some damage reducing moves focused on weakening ranged damage) and also be able to move mobs around and position them well with minimal movement from the player (beleive they have a force pull, correct?), as opposed to the Warrior who has to run and jump all over the place sometimes. I am not as familiar with the BH tank heard some people compare them to paladin tanks but haven't seen much resemblance in the videos. But I am assuming they would be the most superior at tanking ranged enemies.

All 3 tank can MT and different way to mitigate. Jug has much longer CD on its defensive skill but they are also more powerful. Main issue is the lower damage and therefore lower threat compared to an assassin. There is a world of difference in their damage output, at least at mid level where both of mine are.

However, Assassin tank mitigation and self heal allows him to take on very impressive odds solo. PT has the best efficiency bubble due to a few hard hitter at 30 meter, but keeps full efficiency at 10m. Still allows him a lot less running around, as well as a pull and charge.

All 3 as said can easily MT as far as survivability goes, with assassin dealing better with tech/force burst and jug winning the blunt mitigation contest. However jug get shafted at AoE threat, which sin maintain the best imo.

CJ_SAX_MAN's Avatar


CJ_SAX_MAN
04.05.2012 , 10:06 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
All 3 tank can MT and different way to mitigate. Jug has much longer CD on its defensive skill but they are also more powerful. Main issue is the lower damage and therefore lower threat compared to an assassin. There is a world of difference in their damage output, at least at mid level where both of mine are.

However, Assassin tank mitigation and self heal allows him to take on very impressive odds solo. PT has the best efficiency bubble due to a few hard hitter at 30 meter, but keeps full efficiency at 10m. Still allows him a lot less running around, as well as a pull and charge.

All 3 as said can easily MT as far as survivability goes, with assassin dealing better with tech/force burst and jug winning the blunt mitigation contest. However jug get shafted at AoE threat, which sin maintain the best imo.
I may very well look into a sin/shadow then.

Though I just don't want to have major problems with low survivability. I know this is a different game so I may not have this problem at all, but in WoW, when cata came out, (expansion ruined wow in terms of story IMHO) I decided to make my death knight the first character to level to 85. Well once I got up there and was tanking with him, I was struggling, had the decent gear (was always ****** at tanking with my prot warrior). But it was hard getting used to using self heals as part of a regular attack rotation, considering I was used to only popping CDs when I needed them, and even so, he died way too easily being a tank that had only dodge and parry, as opposed to dodge, parry, Shield rating (DKs just had some crappy talent in the tanking tree that was supposed to make up for lack of a shield) like the other 2 (Assassins don't have that problem, all tanks in SWTOR appear to have the same defensive stats, basically defense rating and shield chance/shield rating.

Darth_Solrac's Avatar


Darth_Solrac
04.05.2012 , 12:32 PM | #13
We tend to be the most popular & rolled class...cuz well we're awesome. Not tryna be cocky, but yuupp.

PvE wise, Sorcs. are near perfect casters. We look cool (flowing, awesome robes with enough armor to make 'light' armor not really matter, cool looking masks, & mob control/AoE abilities). We compliment a SW pretty perfectly.

Our Assassin brothers are even better. As they can cast lightning & tank. Double bladed sabers pretty cool too.

Also, Sidious was a Sorc. Win.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Tythespy's Avatar


Tythespy
04.05.2012 , 02:47 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
We tend to be the most popular & rolled class...cuz well we're awesome. Not tryna be cocky, but yuupp.

PvE wise, Sorcs. are near perfect casters. We look cool (flowing, awesome robes with enough armor to make 'light' armor not really matter, cool looking masks, & mob control/AoE abilities). We compliment a SW pretty perfectly.

Our Assassin brothers are even better. As they can cast lightning & tank. Double bladed sabers pretty cool too.

Also, Sidious was a Sorc. Win.


I like.

Zamppa's Avatar


Zamppa
04.06.2012 , 01:49 AM | #15
I know this is offtopic but you started with Darth Sidious, so...

I think Revan was a sorcerer too when he was a Sith Lord. In KotOR npcs always talk about how he was a master tactician and knew how to turn and lure jedi into his cause. Also his robes were quite similar to the robes sorcerers have in TOR.

It only got deeper in KotOR 2 when you got enough influence with Kreia and she told you about Revan. Again she tells you how Revan was a mastermind and "how looking at Revan was like looking into the heart of the Force itself". The npcs also(Atton as the best example) spoke again how Revan was able to turn people to his cause as a Sith Lord.

And yes I admit the vision of Revan we see in the tomb on Korriban shows us Revan with 2 lightsabers which would suggest he was a warrior/marauder but still all the things we get to know about Revan when he was a Sith Lord still suggest he was a sorcerer back then.
"What can you say - I'm a talented individual"
- Revan to Bastila on Taris

Hraken's Avatar


Hraken
04.06.2012 , 08:01 AM | #16
Keep in mind that Revan also went toe-to-toe with Mandalore the Ultimate and won, so there's good justification for saying he was a Warrior as well. Not saying you're wrong, just that there's any number of plausible possibilities.

Quote:
Also, Sidious was a Sorc. Win.
That was my reason for playing Sorc too.

Darth_Solrac's Avatar


Darth_Solrac
04.06.2012 , 10:33 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Hraken View Post
Keep in mind that Revan also went toe-to-toe with Mandalore the Ultimate and won, so there's good justification for saying he was a Warrior as well. Not saying you're wrong, just that there's any number of plausible possibilities.



That was my reason for playing Sorc too.
Agreed. Revan did display some Inquisitor/Sorc. qualities (tactician, vast charisma), but was clearly a Sith Warrior not sure which spec. branch, but yea. NO Sorc. would EVER face the likes of MTU as a 1st choice. They are masters of the force/dark side/diplomacy (hence why Sith Emperors are Sorcs. almost always), before lightsaber duelists.

It's almost as if they view lightsaber combat as below them, a last resort. This also isn't to say that they let their skills there lack tho, as Sidious showed.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Zamppa's Avatar


Zamppa
04.06.2012 , 12:31 PM | #18
How about the Force skills Revan uses in the Foundry flashpoint? There's clearly Force Storm which is available to sorcerers only. He also uses a single lightsaber and wears light armor and a mask similar to sorcerers. I honestly think Revan was a mixture of the classes when he was at her prime. It's said he always wanted to learn more about the Force which would suggest he was a sorcerer BUT he may have been so strong he would have had the saber skills of a warrior or atleast near that. We have to keep in mind saber skills and Force powers do not shut each other out but one usually is more talented in one of the two. Revan also uses Master Strike saberskill in the Foundry fight too, so there's some proof of him being a mixture of all classes.

Btw some sources(the Episode III novel for example) suggest Sidious intentionally "lost" to Windu because he sensed Anakin was coming only seconds later. It also suggests Sidious knew about the differences between Anakin and Windu and "knew" Anakin would save him over Windu. Being a sorcerer Sidious still was a formidable duelist beating 3 jedi sabermasters in just seconds let it be he got atleast few of them by surprise.
"What can you say - I'm a talented individual"
- Revan to Bastila on Taris

Hraken's Avatar


Hraken
04.07.2012 , 08:03 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
It's almost as if they view lightsaber combat as below them, a last resort. This also isn't to say that they let their skills there lack tho, as Sidious showed.
More true than you know - there's a great line by Palpatine in "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" (a book which is otherwise pretty forgettable) in which he tells Vader that Sith don't give a damn about lightsabers, they only go into lightsaber combat to embarrass Jedi.

Quote:
How about the Force skills Revan uses in the Foundry flashpoint?
Ultimately, I think the answer is that the distinction of Warrior vs Inquisitor doesn't apply to Revan, because he's from a completely different game. KotOR didn't have nearly as much of a divide between the melee and caster classes. In SWTOR, Warriors are limited pretty much to lightsaber combat, while Inquisitors could stop carrying a lightsaber and it wouldn't make much difference.

In KotOR, both Guardians and Consulars made heavy use of both lightsabers and the force and were quite effective with them. They just had their preferences, and Guardians were a bit more resilient in melee. So I think trying to call Revan an Inquisitor or a Warrior is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Sosparkling's Avatar


Sosparkling
04.08.2012 , 05:04 AM | #20
Well, they sure are everywhere. Personally, I first started this game rolling a sage. But it's a faceroll class really. It's not fun knowing you beat everything because you got it all: damage, control and survivalbility and already at really low lvl.

I don't know how nerfs in patch are affecting the class, but since empire faceroll republic in story and style, I plan on rolling a sorc later on. And I hope that there will be more challange in the class and maybe a decrease in population =) My merc will probably be my main, but it would be fun getting my own pureblood casting lightings. I want all kind of caster classes, and I really liked the idea behind sorc/sage class, and I hope it's either being able to push out lots of damage and sacrificing control, or have lots of control but sacrificing damage. Anyone know what it will be like after patch?