Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tons of Inquisitors

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.02.2012 , 02:23 AM | #1
Everyone always talked about how there were going to be tons of sith warriors, but on my server, there are sorcerers and assassins EVERYWHERE. Kind of kills the whole point of the sorcerers being the few masters at harnessing lightning and the assassins being the select few ninja-like bad@sses, whenever there are all over the place. I had thought about making one myself, but now i really don't want to cause I am sick of seeing so many of them

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.04.2012 , 02:10 AM | #2
never meant it to seem as inquisitor bashing, I have an appreciation for them as well as any other class. Though sadly haven't seen an assassin tank yet while leveling. I am just curious if all the servers seem to have an overpopulation of them as well, would be nice if there was a more balanced distribution of classes. I understand I don't have alot of room being a sith warrior, which there are alot of, though I didn't choose it due to being a force user or being like darth vader or malgus, etc... I chose the tanking spec of it for it being familiar to me and something I am good at. I was a prot warrior on WoW for a long time and the immortal/defense specced warriors/guardians have very similar mechanics. And I have always prefered Melee tanks, the idea of ranged tanking just seem weird to me, though I can understand its advantages and uses. And always liked being a strong single target tank. Like the old Prot Warriors, I believe ultimately the warriors are designed as main tanks, being the ones to take on the bosses themselves, and there is always a great feeling about being the one taking on the tough boss head one, while they focus on battling you while everyone else is simply shooting them or slashing on their ***.

I will admit it did take me a long time to understand the true role of a tank. Got used to Wrath and being the steamroller who could jump into a group of 5 enemies and tear em up. Once Cata came out and CCing was necessary again, I realized I couldn't be the unbreakable hero anymore, that tanks could be hurt and mechanics were required to be followed.

Ranting aside, back to my original question, are there tons of inquisitors on every server and does it look like once the game is out and established, there will be more of a balance across the classes. You obviously want all the buffs each class can provide in a raid, and having groups of all Warriors and Inquisitors gets old. I know i get in lots of flashpoints with me tanking, a sorcerer healing, and among dps, either lightning sorcs, Marauders, or Assassins.

Mordeguy
04.04.2012 , 02:31 AM | #3
A lot of people who played casters in other games naturally went to sorcerer, since it's really the only one. Other classes play like casters (mercs for example) but they don't shoot lightning, so the only true casters are sorcs (sages).

Assassins have the coolness factor going for them. A stealth tanking class that uses a double bladed saber? Combined with the fact it gets the lightning too it attracts a lot of people.

And FWIW, assassins are absolutely viable as main tanks.

Greenthy
04.04.2012 , 03:05 AM | #4
Two of the more popular attractive classes (AC) put into one class is just how this overpopulation got into existance:

- Sorc/Sage = only real caster like character from other mmo's
(Priest/Mage/Lock/Mystic/...)

- Assasin = the basic stealth/assasin
(wow: rogue)

Now it's true that other classes are infact also 'casters', it's just they don't look like one.

Add to that the pure 'awesomeness' of throwing lightning around and u got an overpopulated inquisitor side.

But we can't change this anymore, and in the end classes will balance eachother out through: balance (nerf/buffs = rerollers) and possibility to go to OPs/FPs. It'll just take a bit of time till it's all settled.
I'm Rock, Nerf Paper, Scissors is fine

Natarii
04.04.2012 , 07:28 AM | #5
Also, Inquisitor is one of the least buggy classes with skills that mostly work properly. We don't have buggy issues with cover like Agents, we have interesting and varied rotations (no tracer missile spam here!), and our tanks' threat management is one of the most intuitive and functional of all the tanking classes. I feel that the functionality and user-friendliess has also contributed to the popularity of the class. With the winds of change coming in 1.2, however, I fully expect flavor-of-the-month players to jump ship and the Inquisitor population to drop to some semblance of a balanced population. I look foreward to not having to compete against 3 other inquisitors in an 8 man group!
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

verfallen
04.04.2012 , 09:37 AM | #6
Currently Assassin tank are mostly seen in PvP, but they work perfectly in PvE as main tank. Very good TPS and reliable self heal and defensive CD.

For the rest, rogues are mostly operative/scoundrel, and sorc gets the lightning "coolness" factor that explains the lots of them. As many stated, the bandwagon players that moved from Operative to sorc when they got nerfed will prolly move on to mara or unsub since no "easy" class stand out.

So inq number drop incoming.

Rotoroot
04.04.2012 , 10:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
Currently Assassin tank are mostly seen in PvP, but they work perfectly in PvE as main tank. Very good TPS and reliable self heal and defensive CD.

For the rest, rogues are mostly operative/scoundrel, and sorc gets the lightning "coolness" factor that explains the lots of them. As many stated, the bandwagon players that moved from Operative to sorc when they got nerfed will prolly move on to mara or unsub since no "easy" class stand out.

So inq number drop incoming.

Also people who didnt play agent who wanted to play a healer with a lightsaber for pve or pvp.

So subscription drop incoming.

Sylriana
04.04.2012 , 03:33 PM | #8
Extremely high cool factor ( throwing lightning or using a saberstaff ) and extremely powerful.

Seems like an obvious choice for an overpopulated class... Also doesn't seem like a very good set of reasons not to roll one.

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.04.2012 , 10:55 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Mordeguy View Post
A lot of people who played casters in other games naturally went to sorcerer, since it's really the only one. Other classes play like casters (mercs for example) but they don't shoot lightning, so the only true casters are sorcs (sages).

Assassins have the coolness factor going for them. A stealth tanking class that uses a double bladed saber? Combined with the fact it gets the lightning too it attracts a lot of people.

And FWIW, assassins are absolutely viable as main tanks.
True, as an old WoW player I totally understand that about the casters. Most ranged classes are in some way similar to Hunters from WoW. (though I guess probably have more charged attacks depending on class and spec, I am not well educated on Troopers/BHs and Smugglers/IAs.

I also didn't mean to make it seem like Assassins were weaker tanks, when I talk about an off-tank, I usually mean one that has a superior AoE to the other tank and has an easier time managing adds and such. Though often an offtank has been mistaken for the tank that is weaker and just not as geared as the MT, which is not the intended purpose of the off-tank role. I am sure they can hold their own against anything just as well. Perhaps a slightly lower rate of survivability (often hear them compared to Death Knight Tanks), but just slightly. Every class of tank has its stronger and weaker points. As far as I have seen, the Juggernaut is extremely similar to the WoW prot warrior. Great survivability, if well geared, can pump out some huge if not the best threat against single targets such as a boss. Can't remember what all their other strongsuits are compared to others, I am new to this game and it has been awhile since my WoW days. Based on the Patterns it seems as if the Assassin tanks would have the best AoE, possibly be good against ranged targets (assuming they are indeed like DKs and have some damage reducing moves focused on weakening ranged damage) and also be able to move mobs around and position them well with minimal movement from the player (beleive they have a force pull, correct?), as opposed to the Warrior who has to run and jump all over the place sometimes. I am not as familiar with the BH tank heard some people compare them to paladin tanks but haven't seen much resemblance in the videos. But I am assuming they would be the most superior at tanking ranged enemies.

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.04.2012 , 10:59 PM | #10
And I will also add that if I make an inquisitor, I plan to do a sorcerer, but if I make a republic toon, I am very interested in the Jedi Shadow ( I understand the shadow/assassins are mirrors, but for some reason the shadow seems more appealing than the assassin. Sorcerer>Sage etc... IMO)