SWTOR Deserves A Revival: More Funding, Resources and Manpower

Ylliarus

Because they collect all your data and share it. You should read their terms and conditions as well as their privacy agreement.

Then when you sign, which I just did, they bombard you to sign more petitions in your area. They ask you for money and they want you to link your social media accounts.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Ie Facebook?

I can completely understand why someone wouldn’t want to sign. I know I wouldn’t have if I’d read the terms and conditions first (my bad) or realised all the crap they were going to bombard me with.

You can unsubscribe from the mail updates, or at least, so it says whenever you sign up to a new petition.

But don't all sites these days collect data and sell it? I mean, I was under the impression it was standard practice these days, especially with what has been going on with Facebook :p doesn't take away that it's bad practice nonetheless.

Edited by Ylliarus

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they collect all your data and share it. You should read their terms and conditions as well as their privacy agreement.

Then when you sign, which I just did, they bombard you to sign more petitions in your area. They ask you for money and they want you to link your social media accounts.

I can completely understand why someone wouldn’t want to sign. I know I wouldn’t have if I’d read the terms and conditions first (my bad) or realised all the crap they were going to bombard me with.

Yup. I also think - and no offense intended, Yillarus - that it's a vehicle for a rather shallow form of online activism. It's the go-to for people who don't actually want to do any work to change x, but merely to showcase to others that they care passionately about x. I put it in the same category as ranting about a cause on Facebook, and about as effective.

Before you ask what bright ideas I've come up with, I don't have any on hand to give. However, I do think it would be a useful sub-topic for this thread to suggest that people try to generate some ideas that are actually likely to make Disney pay attention to swtor.

Edited by Ardrossan

/signed and tweeted

As I've written before, I would even pay more monthly if it made the game clever. If They had invested more money from the beginning, there would not be such problems now.

Better Engine = Open World Raids/ Less stuttering. From the beginning they should have paid attention to bugs and remove them immediately. That would have been a solid backbone. They could have built on that.

SWTOR won't get those resources back and If anthem fails? Bioware is dead and buried.

If Anthem succeeds? Then SWTOR will never have a chance of acquiring the resources it had a few years ago, because a lot of it will be in Anthem as new content will be required to keep the game active for years to come.

This petition isn't going to ever reach a point where EA is going to agree with. Even if you had at most a few thousand signs (and that is being generous), it won't be enough to consider the petition a success. if it were to ever have a chance it would need to be in the 10,000+ range (after weeding out anyone who holds multiple accounts to artifically pump up the numbers of signs).

I appreciate that some of us including myself want to see SWTOR get back on its feet again, but unless EA put their own neck on the line and give more manpower and resources for SWTOR (a legacy of them savagely cutting down 3 bioware offices a while ago after MEA), otherwise this whole issue is a loser for SWTOR no matter what.

Like i mentioned in the other threads: i want to see EA invest their resources into the Star Wars IP, but they won't lift a finger if they can't make a mint of the game in the process.

Now let us look at it from SWTOR's point of view:

RNG crates have always been a problem in SWTOR, once in version 1 of this game and in version 5 and from there it has remained. In both cases pushing a lot of customers away from this game for good.

FE and ET showed one thing: a one size fits all storyline also didn't work out well either.

The Ossus storyline was received with mixed views from the remaining customers which didn't help SWTOR's chances either.

So this is where we are at: If SWTOR has ever got a hope in hell of making it out alive and continuing to survive?

- EA needs to reinvest into the game pretty heavily.

- Remove Ben Irving's GC for good.

- Start advertising for the game again and make apologies for driving away customers with bad design choices. Aditionally also make sure to give a free 2 month subscription and a few goodies to any former customer of SWTOR in order to get numbers back.

- Get the 6.0 storyline out and build on an epic storyline after this with a new Expac.

- Create more races, new original classes and origin storylines.

- Find ways to update the 15 year-old Hero engine and optimise the game engine once again.

- Bring on new and original PvP's, flashpoints and operations.

- Invest in servers and transfers again.

That is a lot of work to do and requires a lot of resources to make happen.

You can unsubscribe from the mail updates, or at least, so it says whenever you sign up to a new petition.

But don't all sites these days collect data and sell it? I mean, I was under the impression it was standard practice these days, especially with what has been going on with Facebook :p doesn't take away that it's bad practice nonetheless.

If you are in Europe? The GPDR in Europe doesn't allow Change.org to just do what they like with your information, they must seek your approval to harvest and sell that information now, and it can also be contested in a courtroom if Change.org was being disingenuous about it.

Just FYI Google has just been hammered £45 million in fees in French courts because they didn't comply with the GPDR.

Edited by Celise

For those who don't want to sign the petition, even for those who did like me, the best you could do for this is going over to Charles Boyd or Eric Musco Twitter, including SWTOR and EA official ones and asking there, without spamming or other BS, making ourselves heard that there is still interest in TOR.

I think it's better than going through petition sites.

For those who don't want to sign the petition, even for those who did like me, the best you could do for this is going over to Charles Boyd or Eric Musco Twitter, including SWTOR and EA official ones and asking there, without spamming or other BS, making ourselves heard that there is still interest in TOR.

I think it's better than going through petition sites.

I absolutely agree, reaching out to the people in question, be it Bioware, EA, heck aim high and go for Disney! It all helps to bring the message across, it all helps to boost the signal that "hey, we want this game to be successful and thrive"!

Because petition or not, that's in the end what it's all about, getting the game more funding, resources and manpower. Those are the things that will revitalise the game and those are the things necessary to make it thrive like it once did!

Edited by Ylliarus

Amazing news everyone! 24 hours haven't even passed since the petition was started and already there are 200 supporters! Oh, nope, scratch that, 206 the moment this post was sent :) It may not seem like much at this point, but having gotten this many signatures within a day seems amazing to me!

That is why I would like to ask you all, share this petition with anyone and everywhere you can! The more people sign it, the more noise it will create and the bigger the chance will be it will get noticed by the higher ups. Reach out to SWTOR and Star Wars content creators, talk about it on Facebook, Twitter and in your Discord servers. I'm doing all I can myself, but the more people help me with this the bigger the signal boost will be :D

A huge thank you to anyone who has already signed, you people are amazing! Whether you believe the petition can work or not, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain! So let's do this together, let's make people aware this game is still out there and is still incredibly loved!

https://www.change.org/p/electronic-arts-revive-the-mmorpg-star-wars-the-old-republic-by-increasing-its-funding-and-resources

That may be, but the Old Republic era is being highly requested to be introduced into the new canon, the Disney canon. It would be useful for Disney to play on that, because it's a huge potential market.

Don't underestimate the current Star Wars direction from Disney, I've worked with them for many years and everything they do is planned and whether you like it or not very successful.

I'm old and too remember the excitement of the original films when I saw them on the big screen way, way back in the day, my youngest son is now a huge Star Wars fan and he loves the new stuff regardless of its place in lore.

Its the younger market that Disney aim at because the power of kids to get parents to part with cash for Merch is second to none (I have over 30 years in the entertainment business - trust me I know).

This is why they need to be persuaded to support this game and I am really surprised they didn't see the opportunity to really push it hard with the release of the new films, that to me says something.

I commend the OP and fully support your actions sir.

Be safe

Don't underestimate the current Star Wars direction from Disney, I've worked with them for many years and everything they do is planned and whether you like it or not very successful.

I'm old and too remember the excitement of the original films when I saw them on the big screen way, way back in the day, my youngest son is now a huge Star Wars fan and he loves the new stuff regardless of its place in lore.

Its the younger market that Disney aim at because the power of kids to get parents to part with cash for Merch is second to none (I have over 30 years in the entertainment business - trust me I know).

This is why they need to be persuaded to support this game and I am really surprised they didn't see the opportunity to really push it hard with the release of the new films, that to me says something.

Be safe

Exactly! Getting this game and the love for it to Disney's attention might be the key to securing a better future for this MMO :) Some may call me naive for it, but I really believe that if we generate noise, if we show the Star Wars community out there that this game still deserves love and attention, that there is still a loyal playerbase wanting to see this game thrive, we might actually change something :D if anything, we have nothing to lose!

Don't underestimate the current Star Wars direction from Disney, I've worked with them for many years ........... and I am really surprised they didn't see the opportunity to really push it hard with the release of the new films, that to me says something.

Like yourself I've worked with Disney and I've also worked with EA. Assuming similar context, we know the second part of your statement isn't actually surprising given the first part. (I know. Limited in what can be said. Etc.)

There are very defined internal reasons why there wasn't a push to market this particular game along with the films.

Also, as you know, Disney doesn't really always have it all "planned out." The best case in point was the focus on the Star Wars anthology stories. Talk to the screenwriters and budgeters for how well that was planned out. Equally of evidence were the "new era" books that were canceled abruptly (albeit, perhaps only temporarily) and a shifted focus back to the "prequel era." Ask the writers on contract how well that was planned out.

As do I. I signed the petition simply because I appreciate someone is a natural enthusiast and is at least trying.

Ignoring the obvious isn't going to magically make anyone reconsider the previous choices and why it drove people away in the first place. Neither is ignoring the idea of what could be done to bring SWTOR back and get more people to agree to your petition.

I'm one who sees negatives and can see the positives that can come out of the negatives.

(of course i'm willing to discuss the issue and you'd be surprised what my point of view is for SWTOR, that assumes anyone is bothered to ask, and so far no one has)

Edited by Celise

Ignoring the obvious isn't going to magically make anyone reconsider the previous choices and why it drove people away in the first place. Neither is ignoring the idea of what could be done to bring SWTOR back and get more people to agree to your petition.

I'm one who sees negatives and can see the positives that can come out of the negatives.

(of course i'm willing to discuss the issue and you'd be surprised what my point of view is for SWTOR, that assumes anyone is bothered to ask, and so far no one has)

In that case, please do share it as I am genuinely interested in hearing your view! :)

I signed the petition simply because I appreciate someone is a natural enthusiast and is at least trying.

Same here. ^

I never thought of doing something like this, heck I wish someone had done this years ago, maybe trying to drum up support outside of the game will prove more fruitful.

People have written thousands of pages on these forums over the 6+ years being supportive as well as being critical of development changes made to this game and honestly speaking very little had any noticeable impact.

I pretty much view these forums as a sounding board where players can vent and not an actual place people can communicate with the devs or game representatives. There's simply too much one-way-communication here for it to be considered a proper pipeline to the devs or any other SWTOR representatives.

Anyway, sorry to digress. Godspeed with the petition. :D

Edited by Lhancelot

In that case, please do share it as I am genuinely interested in hearing your view! :)

Seconded. Let’s hear it.

Today I have started a petition on change.org.....

While I don't think much will come of this, I signed it because I appreciate the sentiment behind it.

If you don't already have a trash email account, you should create one. Also, you don't have to give your real name. You could even use your middle name. You can also skip all the trash that comes after entering your name.

I'm amazed people are not fluent in internet these days. This is so basic, I can't even.

Yup. I also think - and no offense intended, Yillarus - that it's a vehicle for a rather shallow form of online activism. It's the go-to for people who don't actually want to do any work to change x, but merely to showcase to others that they care passionately about x. I put it in the same category as ranting about a cause on Facebook, and about as effective.

Before you ask what bright ideas I've come up with, I don't have any on hand to give. However, I do think it would be a useful sub-topic for this thread to suggest that people try to generate some ideas that are actually likely to make Disney pay attention to swtor.

Don't blame the tool.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Same here. ^

I never thought of doing something like this, heck I wish someone had done this years ago, maybe trying to drum up support outside of the game will prove more fruitful.

People have written thousands of pages on these forums over the 6+ years being supportive as well as being critical of development changes made to this game and honestly speaking very little had any noticeable impact.

I pretty much view these forums as a sounding board where players can vent and not an actual place people can communicate with the devs or game representatives. There's simply too much one-way-communication here for it to be considered a proper pipeline to the devs or any other SWTOR representatives.

There's no guarantee of course that anything will come out of it, yet perhaps the very fact that it's something different than a thread on the forums is what might draw the attention of the higher ups. Because as you say, the forums are over-full with players trying to make their voice heard. While this is of course a good thing, the problem is that few threads are noticed. I mean, look at the amount of threads Bioware devs have responded it, it's very little. So far Keith's promise of more communication I guess.

But still, perhaps people may see the petition as silly or naive, but it's something else. Whether you believe it will yield results or not, it can garner attention which is the most important thing.

Same here. ^

Signed. Note, there have been a couple of these over the years here (I signed one a few years ago for PvP). I don’t have the time to dig them up now. Nothing happened. Still always worth trying again...

Today I have started a petition on change.org, directed towards Electronic Arts and Disney, imploring them both to allow Star Wars The Old Republic to be revived....etc

Hmm, and here I was thinking that 5.10 and returning to Empire vs Republic was going to be the big thing that would revive the game and bring all the lapsed player accounts flooding back. At least that is what you stated over and over again quoting various statistics and polling....

;)

That may be, but the Old Republic era is being highly requested to be introduced into the new canon, the Disney canon. It would be useful for Disney to play on that, because it's a huge potential market.

Of course, if they did do that, it would cease to be Old Republic and would therefore be something else entirely. Only fans of the franchise before 2014--and thus actual Star Wars fans--would understand, as they know what Star Wars actually is. Literally, there is not a single soul asking for that, because it wouldn't make any sense. The Star Wars fandom detests Disneycanon, and new people to the franchise do not even know what Star Wars pre-2014 is. And Star Wars itself isn't necessarily in the best place right now specifically because their target audience is surprisingly not even Star Wars fans, but your average movie goer who has probably seen only some of the movies once or twice in their entire lifetime.

A good example would be the Warcraft film. World of Warcraft is literally an entirely different canon to the RTS games. The film was marketed toward World of Warcraft players, but set during the events of the first game in the series. RTS fans didn't really care to see it because it looked like a mockery, and World of Warcraft fans had no idea as to *** was going on.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

Hmm, and here I was thinking that 5.10 and returning to Empire vs Republic was going to be the big thing that would revive the game and bring all the lapsed player accounts flooding back. At least that is what you stated over and over again quoting various statistics and polling....

;)

The spite is strong with you, I can feel its strength... pity you can't look beyond our differences, I had hoped you would be able to.

From what I have seen ingame, 5.10 did cause for an influx of new players and returning players. It is just as I had anticipated, that Jedi Under Siege would cause for a minor increase in player population. Because if you stop twisting my words to suit your own narrative, then you'll find that that is what I have been saying. I hoped the revitalization would be bigger, but I anticipated it would be a minor increase. Go ahead, search my post history if you have to.

Despite my own hopes however, I had been and always was fully aware that for a full revitalization/revival of the game we'd need a lot more than the return to the Empire vs Republic narrative. I had often said it was a step in the right direction, never the ultimate and only one, but I'll forgive you for being willingly blind to this. The narrative itself won't fix the damage of the last, for that the game also needs more funding, resources and manpower.

It's truly a pity you couldn't find it in yourself to leave out the spite and be supportive of the petition, because I thought in the end we were all on the same page here, namely wanting to see a thriving SWTOR.

Of course, if they did do that, it would cease to be Old Republic and would therefore be something else entirely. Only fans of the franchise before 2014--and thus actual Star Wars fans--would understand, as they know what Star Wars actually is. Literally, there is not a single soul asking for that, because it wouldn't make any sense. The Star Wars fandom detests Disneycanon, and new people to the franchise do not even know what Star Wars pre-2014 is. And Star Wars itself isn't necessarily in the best place right now specifically because their target audience is surprisingly not even Star Wars fans, but your average movie goer who has probably seen only some of the movies once or twice in their entire lifetime.

Funny, everything you just said is wrong, to quote Luke Skywalker from The Last Jedi.

If you truly believe there is something like "an actual Star Wars fan" then I am really sorry to hear that. What validates you being a Star Wars fan more than someone else? The fact that you were here before 2014 means nothing, it has no value. I have been a Star Wars fan years and years before 2014 and I find myself enjoying quite a bit of the new Disney canon. The Phasma novel was absolutely amazing, I really had enjoyed it. The Aftermath novels were great as well, and let's not forget the new Thrawn novels, I adored them!

But at the same time I adore what is now known as Legends canon just as much. You can love both and still be a valid Star Wars fan, you can enjoy both and still be "an actual Star Wars fan". What you're saying is so terribly narrow-minded, really, don't limit yourself like that. There is no difference between you and a movie-goer, why would they be a worse fan than you? If you believe that then sorry to say but your line of thinking is ridiculous.

Besides, are you even aware of how badly people want the Old Republic era to become part of the new Disney canon? It's one of the things Legends fan, pre-2014 fans, are asking for. Over 200.000 people signed a petition for Disney and Netflix to make an Old Republic series set in the new canon. Don't believe me? Here is a link: https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-bringing-the-old-republic-era-of-star-wars-to-netflix

That petition had been signed by the biggest Star Wars fans out there, even by people who were teenagers when the original trilogy came out and have loved the franchise ever since. You come in shouting that no "actual Star Wars fan" wants the Old Republic era in Disney canon, but do you have the proof to back it up? Because I provided evidence that disproves your point, you know.

Edited by Ylliarus