Best gunslinger PvP build?

Arnstein

Right now I use the sharpshooter spec (with 2 points on more energy from the saboteur spec) and I'm doing okay. Is there any better build? What are the general strategic way of thinking when playing PvP? I've never played an mmo before, so I need some help.

personally I like dirty fighting, but at endgame I have having a lot of issue with my dots being cleansed.

So I recommend a saboteur build.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZMIbboRrRrs.1

This is the core build I like you can play around with the extra 10 to get the absorb shield from SS, or the run speed from dirty kick in DF.

You can also play around with the points a bit more take 2-3 points out of sabo. Drop incendiary grenade, and blazing speed, and snap shot.

I like Sabo in pvp since you get a good mix of mobility and defense. Using sabotage to reset the CD on defense screen, the extra 6% damage reduction while in cover can help.

Incendiary grenade has meh damage but you can keep it on a point, or under your feet 24/7. If you get ganked by stealthers a lot this can knock them out of stealth before they hit you with the opener, giving you enough time to get pulse detonator off.

The dps is nice as well since you've got the dot from shock charge, and the dot type effect from sabotage charge. + the damage increase on thermal grenade. You should be able to toss one out every 3 seconds with 2kish crits at 50.

It it's a spec that has some nice tools in it.

Personally I do not like SS. Its to immobile for my taste. The whole crouch stand crouch stand thing, using the snap shot skill with trickshot, and to continually reapply the absorb just doesn't work for me so I always stick to more mobile spec's.

Sab I feel is a good mix of the 2. AoE while mobile, ST while stationary.

This is what I find to be the best.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bsrbdosRZMcZGbbkM.1

Many people go DF and Sab hybrid

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bZrI0bRobZGbbkrMhz.1

and yes you will do some damage and be high on the charts tossing out gernades. I played this spec for a bit but was frustrated with my ability to take people down and I felt 1v1 I was a bit weak.

What I like about ss hybrid is that I have some single target strength, some added defense to my shield, and a ticking aoe dot to keep people from tagging objectives.

I find that this is much better for me in PvP, however it is missing some powerful tools for PvE so I am hoping that duel spec will be added soon!

Edited by jazzllanna

It depends on your goal you wish to achieve.

I'm personally rolling with 23/18/0: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rkrddRoRZrI0boRb.1

note: you can also switch arsonist for the extra 6% crit chance of No Holds Barred. Also, the added point in trip shot is a filler.

This build has a decent overall performance, good energy preservation and AoE similar to a full Sab spec. However, it truly benefits the gunslinger's major role in PvP: burst. A fully buffed Sabotage Charge -> Aimed Shot -> Trickshot gives healers a run for their money.

DF, Sab/DF and Sab builds also seem to do well though, however on other departments. Bursting down the healer is what I believe to be most important in tight matches.

I don't think he was trying to get shrap bomb though? I think the build is bad at any rate. Low burst, lots of dots that won't do that much, won't be able to kill anything, so all you can do is aoe at the voidstar doors to stop a cap etc. 31 point sab is our worse spec and quite possibly the most underpowered spec of any class in the game.

I would argue that full marksman (dont get burst volley, even leg shot is better) with the base talents in sabo and dirty fighting (cunning, energy, crit, and alacricity) are still the best PvP build.

I can't even remember the last time I wasn't #1 in damage for either team in a warzone.

I would argue that full marksman (dont get burst volley, even leg shot is better) with the base talents in sabo and dirty fighting (cunning, energy, crit, and alacricity) are still the best PvP build.

I can't even remember the last time I wasn't #1 in damage for either team in a warzone.

I'm not saying marksman isn't good, but you can do similar dmg as dirty fighting or DF/Sab hybrids while retaining superior mobility, and better cd's from DF tree.

Lot's of DF dmg is internal as well, which does more dmg to players from the start since most all have lower resistances to internal dmg.

I like my build because it allows me to toss off damage from cover if I want or still do damage while moving. It allows escapes and many stuns while still being able to reposition, close, or circle the target. The massive amounts of AOE damage in the build coupled with the AOE of the Gunslinger tree insure you are going to get lots of kills and top damage.

The amount of spike you can lay down on a target quickly far outweighs SS builds because most of my damage can be done in almost one large burst as well as having repeatable damage with the Contingency Charges as well as having Shock Charge sitting on someone. The Sabotage ability of Shock Charge lets me keep my energy up in a fight as well since I can cast Cool Head twice as well as doing extra damage.

You time it just right, and you can park a large group in Freighter Flyby, followed by a Thermal Detonator, an Incendiary Charge, and Blaster Sweep. I've killed 4-5 at a time before pulling that off. If anyone survives it, they are easy pickings as they will have very low hp. The best part about Incendiary Charge is that most people run into it without thinking and pick up a DoT that makes taking an objective impossible. It's a great denial tool for doors or turret controls.

I run a 2/18/21

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/gunslinger/#::fef3e4f2e2fe2fefef12ef6efef9e3fe4:

Order of attack:

Vital Shot

Pop cover fire off Sabo Charge

Shock Charge

Shrap Bomb

Wounding shots.

At this point the target is taking damage from 3 dots wounding shots procs and contingency charge procs

Nice amount of consistent and spike damage. I throw Thermal Det like its my job.

What i like;

Mobility

a decent amount of area denial

All aoe damage (Thermal/Sharp/XS Flyby) are buffed.

18 second snare that isnt a bleed effect.

What i dislike;

Having to drop into cover for Sabo Charge (would love contingency charges to remove the cover requirement)

Getting LoS'd/or interrupted with wounding shots (9 sec CD and 30 energy consumption)

Energy consumption... my god after 1 rotation im sucking on fumes, DF spec needs the energy usage toned down, and make cheap shots... well make the shots cheaper!

For warzones I prefer sabo->DF hybrid (sabo to below incendiary grenade then up the DF tree to shrap bomb). Lot's of DoT's, good burst, good for keeping points defended and utility.

For open world PVP, Ilum and PVE I prefer Sharpshooter because the prolonged increased burst DPS with rapid fire is enough to down most people in one full energy burst which is very important in small group fights (IE - burn down the healer fast sort of fighting).

pretty standard ss build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rkrrdMoRgzZ0cZGb.1

say what you want about mobility but in my opinion no gunslinger/sniper pvp build should go without dampers and cover screen. i also really like the sprint after dirty kick; it's saved my *** many times.

if you really want extra mobility i would go with a ss/dt hybrid:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rkrrdMoRZbcZGbbkM.1

I tried the usual hybrids cropping up in this post but I do like a laregely pure SS spec instead, there are some nice damage reductions in there like ballistic dampeners that are surprisingly nice when used well (i.e if you don't have a target for a moment move out and redrop cover to gain additional) You do risk a lot of mobility with SS but warzones are group scenarios, you'll suffer in Pugs using this build but in a good premade you can do some seriously nice burst, works great with the rest of you using focus target.

Purely my opinion but for open world PVP - Sharpshooter

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700dsrbdRoRgzZbcZG.1

FWIW based on the alacrity formula on Sithwarrior you're looking at around a 4.5% damage boost on speedshot for your rapid shot rotation by using black market mods which, in my opinion, is nicer than improving the CD on flash grenade but your mileage may vary.

The reason I like this for open world PVP is aside from respawn exploiting knocking an individual out of the fight as fast as possible is a higher priority than AOE damage.

Now, for warzone medals I prefer the "Sabobomber" build, noted below:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZrI0bRRbRrcZhrMk.1

It's benefits really boil down to AOE. Make the healers jobs hard. It has a decent amount of burst but you will not be able to 1vs1 any tanks or healers at the end game with equal gear to you because your sustained DPS is not high enough through heals and damage mitigation. It's more of a 'team player' build.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/gunslinger/#::f8ef25efe2fefe2f3e13

I leveled primarily as a sharpshooter which was fantastic for pve, but I find saboteur to be much more effective for my preferred playstyle in pvp.

This is the build I have had in mind since about 35 for a saboteur pvp build. I still have one more level to go, but I'm pretty sure I have a good feel for what it will be like at this point .

With this build, having your rotation/cool downs dialed and knowing when to enter/exit cover are absolutely CRUCIAL to your survivability. Ballistic dampers are great and afford you time to get your cover skills off. Cover screen + your improved defense screen + a well timed dodge offer extra survivability while on the move between cover skill cool downs. Sharpshooter/No Holds Barred give a noticeable increase in dps and are critical imo.

The four skills I left out in the saboteur tree I have found to be fairly useless, but it could just be playstyle preference. Anyways, I'm not sure I have much more to say about this build other than I seem to get results lol... I'm not exactly a veteran theorycrafter, but any feedback is welcome :D