Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why I'm done with PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why I'm done with PvP
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

foxmob
Today , 03:47 PM | #361
you can win, but what's the point? tbh, I didn't play for the weeklies or the dailies, but I would use those as gauges to swap toons and then do them on my alts. that said, what's the point of winning a game that you only win because half the other team was ignoring the win/loss conditions? (i.e., ignoring objectives)

it's stupid. it leads to hollow victories and mind-numbing defeats (often defeats b/c you're unlucky enough to be stuck wth 4 dps farmers).

this isn't a premade issue. it's not even an issue of these silly new quest/deserter changes. the issue is that reg WZs are meaningless to end-game pvpers, and instead of playing the maps, they use them as a sandbox to do what end-game pvp does: TDM and make pretty numbers. I don't blame them. I don't like it, and I stopped playing long ago.

but then, I only got into pvp b/c pve updates were so slow and raid glitches went unfixed for so long. at least with pvp you could run into different enemies if the environs didn't change. but...yeah...iunno. this game is just a very bad clone of WoW at end game. the actual game play and content. same basic systems just...stale AF. better RP and non-competitive stuff (story, comps, etc.), but...man. if you're into game play, balance updates, and/or content updates...this is just the wrong place to be. shame cuz the story and aesthetics are fantastic for an mmorpg. but w/e.

anyway, just getting my $$$'s worth after paying to respond to alrik von gimpenbacher.
Krack

EllieAnne
Today , 04:01 PM | #362
Quote: Originally Posted by abhaxus View Post
I'm not sure why you used the word "unfair" here - obviously a more highly skilled player will win more games.
I'm using the mathematical definition. With two outcomes "unfair" mean it is not a 50/50 chance to win. And a lot of things that are "obvious" are not ... that's why we test our hypothses.

Quote: Originally Posted by abhaxus View Post
The primary issue in this thread and pretty much any other PVP complaint thread is an L2P issue.
Actually that is the exact OPPOSITE of the complaints. If it were just better players won that would be one thing but players lose because of issues out of their control and independent of their ability. Things like bad matchmaking, 7 v 8 or 3 v 4, premades v pugs. And what if in am the best PvP ever in the history of SWTOR but on a team with seven idiots? Why should I not get any daily/weekly points? That is the point that in UNRANKED why should players get no reward for issues out of their control and issues other than their individual ability?

EllieAnne
Today , 04:05 PM | #363
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
JackieKO has only recently joined the team in this role late last year to be a better conduit between us and the devs on the forums. I think you need to give her a break and let her show you she is doing what she says. So far I’ve only seen a positive influence from Jackie being active on the forums. The last thing we want or need is people attacking her integrity and we end up in the same old situation with no communication again.
Do you still hold to this opinion based on what we (haven't) seen from Jackie in this thread?

KendraP
Today , 06:03 PM | #364
If I only won half the games I played, I wouldn't PvP. The entire premise of PvP is to win more based on skill, or why would ranked pvp even exist? So your test is based on a faulty premise, getting an expected result. Duh pvp win rates aren't 50/50.

As for Jackie, even I'm not going to judge someone based on what happens in one thread and when there was a freak winter storm in Texas where BW is located.

TrixxieTriss
Today , 06:46 PM | #365
Quote: Originally Posted by EllieAnne View Post
Do you still hold to this opinion based on what we (haven't) seen from Jackie in this thread?
I’m willing to give her the benefit of doubt for a few more weeks because of what’s been happening with Texas icecapades. Ask me again in a few weeks.

Edit: I just realised my sub runs out before then and I’m still not sure wether I’ll be resubbing. I was hoping to test out the patch changes to conquest before then. But my sub will run out on the 2nd, so I honestly don’t know if I’ll resub to test them.

Sappharan
Today , 09:18 PM | #366
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
If I only won half the games I played, I wouldn't PvP. The entire premise of PvP is to win more based on skill, or why would ranked pvp even exist? So your test is based on a faulty premise, getting an expected result. Duh pvp win rates aren't 50/50.

As for Jackie, even I'm not going to judge someone based on what happens in one thread and when there was a freak winter storm in Texas where BW is located.
It is a zero sum game, though. When calculating all the wins and losses, they ought to align.

Sappharan
Today , 09:19 PM | #367
Quote: Originally Posted by EllieAnne View Post
I'm using the mathematical definition. With two outcomes "unfair" mean it is not a 50/50 chance to win. And a lot of things that are "obvious" are not ... that's why we test our hypothses.

Actually that is the exact OPPOSITE of the complaints. If it were just better players won that would be one thing but players lose because of issues out of their control and independent of their ability. Things like bad matchmaking, 7 v 8 or 3 v 4, premades v pugs. And what if in am the best PvP ever in the history of SWTOR but on a team with seven idiots? Why should I not get any daily/weekly points? That is the point that in UNRANKED why should players get no reward for issues out of their control and issues other than their individual ability?
Class stacking, premade groups that roflstomp solo players and more...all for the "thrill"...AND THEN mock the other team when they win. That is the nadir of disgusting behavior in a game.