Computer and server lag question

Rippetoe_SS

For the past two weeks since switching from an HP, 3+ years old, to a new ASUS G75 I have been playing with huge server lag (usually only one red dot) on Shadowlands. I have not installed any new programs or apps on the ASUS and from what I can tell there are no other programs running in the background. I submitted a ticket to support but could not give any specific help and said to seek help on the forums. I use Comcast for the internet ( I don't know exact speed but it is not the worst and not the best). The lag is most noticeable when mounting, looting and during combat specifically when casting.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this or point me in the right direction. Thanks

Have you tried completely resetting your high speed internet connection?

if you do not have phone service through comcast:

1) physically unplug your cable modem

2) physically unplug your router (if you have one)

3) shut down your computer

4) plug in your cable modem and let it boot up COMPLETELY

5) then plug in your router and let it boot up COMPLETELY

6) then turn on your computer

If you do have phone service through comcast:

- do steps two and three and then hit the reset button (usually recessed so you will need a pen or paperclip) on your cable modem

- then do steps 4-6

If you have a wireless router make sure your wireless is passworded. If it does already have a password change it. the point is that someone may be hacking into your wireless.

If you are using your wireless try using wired instead (if possible)

All that being said, I had a similar issue with my own comcast connection recently. I did all of the above and it did not fix the problem. Using http://www.speedtest.net/ I discovered that my download speed was crap (0.3Mbps) but my upload speed was fine. I ended up walking away from my computer for the night. The next night it was back to normal.

I just wanted to comment, last night I was having extraordinary lag. It was bouncing between 50,000 ms and 100 ms at random intervals.

Since I seldom have this problem, I ran some diagnostics and did a number of speed tests with my router and internet connection. While I normally am rock-steady at 18-20mbit, I was bouncing around as low as 100kbit at times. Rebooting the router did nothing.

I ended up contacting my ISP, and while they claimed there was nothing wrong on their end, about 3-4 hours later everything went back to normal. Speed tests were fine, and the game itself stopped lagging.

So keep this in mind, the problem could be your ISP.

I just wanted to comment, last night I was having extraordinary lag. It was bouncing between 50,000 ms and 100 ms at random intervals.

Since I seldom have this problem, I ran some diagnostics and did a number of speed tests with my router and internet connection. While I normally am rock-steady at 18-20mbit, I was bouncing around as low as 100kbit at times. Rebooting the router did nothing.

I ended up contacting my ISP, and while they claimed there was nothing wrong on their end, about 3-4 hours later everything went back to normal. Speed tests were fine, and the game itself stopped lagging.

So keep this in mind, the problem could be your ISP.

There is also the plausible explanation that while there was nothing actually wrong with the internet connection, there was high demand at that point in time. And 3-4 later bandwidth demand decreased enough to restore "normal functioning."

Remember that especially with cable internet you are sharing bandwidth in your neighborhood (DSL speed is affected by how far from the "central station" you are). So if someone was attempting to download mass quantities of data or you happen to access the internet when everyone else is at the same time, then download speeds will be affected. And trying different websites is not a good indicator because most websites only require the smallest amount of bandwidth to function "normally." In my case detailed above, sites like facebook, comcast.com, cnn.com, etc were all coming up fairly quickly yet when I tested my download speed I was getting 0.3Mbps.

There is also the plausible explanation that while there was nothing actually wrong with the internet connection, there was high demand at that point in time. And 3-4 later bandwidth demand decreased enough to restore "normal functioning."

Remember that especially with cable internet you are sharing bandwidth in your neighborhood (DSL speed is affected by how far from the "central station" you are). So if someone was attempting to download mass quantities of data or you happen to access the internet when everyone else is at the same time, then download speeds will be affected. And trying different websites is not a good indicator because most websites only require the smallest amount of bandwidth to function "normally." In my case detailed above, sites like facebook, comcast.com, cnn.com, etc were all coming up fairly quickly yet when I tested my download speed I was getting 0.3Mbps.

Yep, very plausible.

When I say, "it could be your ISP" I mean to say, the problem could lie with your ISP instead of the game client, your router, or your PC. Overloaded demand resulting in 1% of the speed I pay for would be a problem with the ISP. :)

Yep, very plausible.

When I say, "it could be your ISP" I mean to say, the problem could lie with your ISP instead of the game client, your router, or your PC. Overloaded demand resulting in 1% of the speed I pay for would be a problem with the ISP. :)

I guess...in a roundabout sort of way :)

I unplugged modem and router and restarted the computer.

I tried logging in at a cafe I have had not problems with in the past and had similar problems.

I am in the process of updating the old computer to see if the problem remains

I will post what I find out