Advanced Prototype vs Pyrotech DPS

VonFinklestein

Actually the "big AP fail" is requiring you to use Flame Thrower so you can half the damage and none of the burst that Pyro has.

Pyro is a significantly better spec in almost all regards right now. Don't take it like some personal insult or affront to your Retractable Blading manhood or anything, I'm just saying it needs some serious fixes to compete.

Didn't say pyro was weaker or better just pointed out that AP wo use of flame and damage red seems pointless

First of all, the combo you just listed omits the prerequisite five Flame Bursts required to use a +50% Flame Thrower, which is the only time an AP should ever ever be using it. You have demonstrated that you have never PvPd as a 50 AP PT right off that bat. But it gets better =/

The damage reduction of SA is dependent on being stunned, which is the *only* kind of CC you should be saving your Determination for, which means the amount of time any BH with an IQ above room temperature is stunned is very low in any given PvP match. The very few times you are stunned and can't break out of it, the chances that a -20% damage during those 4 or less seconds saving your life is more rare still.

Third, there's a reason you don't see many level 50 BHs using Flame Throw in PvP. It's because they've learned better by then.

No said no such thing .... read again and please make no assumptions of you being more skilled or cunning.

Edited by borkbork

No said no such thing .... read again

I don't need to read it again. You have never PvP'd as a level 50 Bounty Hunter spec'd Advanced Prototype, or you wouldn't have said what you did. There's nothing else to say or read into this.

Please only comment if you have experience to back it up. This is not a theorycraft thread.

Edited by Mhak

I don't need to read it again. You have never PvP'd as a level 50 Bounty Hunter spec'd Advanced Prototype, or you wouldn't have said what you did. There's nothing else to say or read into this.

Please only comment if you have experience to back it up. This is not a theorycraft thread.

You prolly pass on hitman as well :)

The Part I put in Bold is all you need to know about this poster to no longer listen to him.

Also, if you can't use Flamethrower in PvP, you're doing it wrong...

Just try using Flamethrower efficiently on Aldeeran with the whole abilities lag thing. I dare you.

Pyro hands down

The hardest hitting ability AP has is flamethrower.....for PVP yeah forget it, having to use your grapple plus a stun to get any real use from it is fail.

Thats what turned me off from the spec its meele heavy (which I have no problem with) but the damage is not there and using a casted cone like ability with a short range as the only viable way of really putting pressure out falls flat on its face.

The spec needs more upfront damage.....

Edited by Guntsu

I don't have a lot of experience with the BH yet, still leveling up. But I am going with a mainly tank spec now, with Shield Tech, and it is working out pretty well.

Reading these posts, I really want to try out the other DPS specs to see how they play, and it is kind of sad to hear that AP is so weak in many people's eyes.

Maybe they should just make FT a channel that you do while you are moving? That might make it a little more useful, and you could probably scorch a lot more people with it that way.

I don't know, but it sounds like AP needs some love. Either way, I am loving my ST build so far. Hardly ever die, and can solo most content with Mako. Plus, I love tanking in games :)

I don't have a lot of experience with the BH yet, still leveling up. But I am going with a mainly tank spec now, with Shield Tech, and it is working out pretty well.

Reading these posts, I really want to try out the other DPS specs to see how they play, and it is kind of sad to hear that AP is so weak in many people's eyes.

Maybe they should just make FT a channel that you do while you are moving? That might make it a little more useful, and you could probably scorch a lot more people with it that way.

I don't know, but it sounds like AP needs some love. Either way, I am loving my ST build so far. Hardly ever die, and can solo most content with Mako. Plus, I love tanking in games :)

If your intrested in a tankish build there's a shield/pyro build that's pretty decent (works for PVE tanking too). Basically go up the tank tree to get rocket pack then up the pyro tree picking up heatseeker and superheated rail.

The spec really comes into it's own at about 48, but it's a very solid spec, good surviabilty good damage excellent mobility.

How I wish they would give Rocket Pack to all Bounty Hunters, or at least Powertechs always thought it a poor choice to make it pretty much tank only.

The part I put in bold is all you need to read to understand why this person has never PvP'd successfully as a bounty hunter and likely has no idea how PvP works at all in this game. I might be wrong though. This is just my subjective opinion based off this person talking like they have no idea how PvP works at all in this game.

It might all be an elaborate ruse. Maybe he'd like to post a SS of his best game to let us all know he has any idea what he's talking about?

inb4 he can't for w/e his excuse is.

You're joking right? I've been 50 since the first week, Valor Rank 50, if you're failing to use Flame Thrower, you're not using your Carbonize correctly.

Failing to be able to properly use Flamethrower, while not picking up one of the best talents in AP proves to me, you're a nub.

First of all, the combo you just listed omits the prerequisite five Flame Bursts required to use a +50% Flame Thrower, which is the only time an AP should ever ever be using it. You have demonstrated that you have never PvPd as a 50 AP PT =/

Second, the damage reduction of SA is dependent on being stunned, which is the *only* kind of CC you should be saving your Determination for, which means the amount of time any BH with an IQ above room temperature is stunned is very low in any given PvP match. The very few times you are stunned and can't break out of it, the chances that a -20% damage during those 4 or less seconds saving your life is more rare still.

Third, there's a reason you don't see many level 50 BHs using Flame Throw in PvP outside of extremely situational circumstances like keeping bombs off a door. Between how easy it is to interrupt, how easy it is to avoid, how bad the ticking mechanics of the skill work, and the requirement of you being immobile while channeling all factor into it being one of the least useful pvp-skills a BH has at level 50.

Determination has a 2 min cooldown... You're going to be stunned a whole lot in this game.

That's not even the sad part about your stupidity, It's the fact that if you've actually specced into AP, and go 31 points in, the talents you're going to pick up instead of 20% reduced damage on stun makes me want to punch a baby.

Bad players like yourself give absolute TERRIBLE advice. Please don't post anymore...I can somewhat understand if ya don't use Flamethrower if you're just a bad player, But there is like zero excuse for not picking up Stabilized armor.

Anything that makes you want to punch a baby cannot be good for you so chill....

The 20% damage reduction is a solid talent that and hydraulic overrides are what had me sold on this spec. But honestly going ST/Pyro gives your more survivability without losing too much damage.

FT for PVP is just fail, it has nothing with being good or not...your best hardest hitting ability should not be a casted frontal cone attack with limited range.

AP needs some love and I think it should revolve around railshot or rocket punch by giving it some additional damage modifiers.

Edited by Guntsu

my max damage has been 470k in pvp as AC and in single hit something like 5300(i never do premade just pugs) but of course...only when you got all buffs and relics.

I also agree FT sucks in pvp, i avoided the last points on FT...But the thing is....you wont miss it because its so easy to evade so just stick with your others spells

(I have 170ms so this may change everything if you have less than me)

But i really miss prototype FT in PvE...(Still in pve you will do a lot of CC and you wont be able to use FT always)

And ventilation with immolate helps a LOT to control your heat...also Hydraulic overrides its just amazing...once you like it you cant leave it.

i tried pyrotech and i couldnt control my heat as AC but i noticed i could do more damage.

But i feel like AC its a lot more for PvP, I forgot to say Quell, Interrupting its everything.. and you can reduce them 2 seconds more, i never can kill a healer fast without my CD but Quell its their pain...Also for Mercenary or Commandos dps.

But still this is just my point of view...

Sorry for my bad english

I also noticed that my Carbonize is failing a lot...maybe its because also for my latency it sucks :/ (if my carbonize fails sometimes then you know FT its a nightmare for me lol)

Btw i just beaten my record as full advanced prototype, today i did 500k in wz :D

Edited by Kroktar

Here is my pyrotech:

• 1 year later...
This has been my experience too. I mostly tank (with ST/Pyro so I'm used to watching for Rail Shot procs), but occasionally I'll go along to DPS for a Juggernaut friend of mine.

I've tried both specs, and while Adv Proto has a rotation that is stable enough you could practically be asleep at the wheel, the damage output isn't even close. Pyro does a ridiculous amount of DPS.

At a glance Pyro looks very heavily reliant on RNG, but even with the worst of luck Pyro competes with Adv Proto. With good luck you'll break your tank's Taunt key.

I'm unconvinced that TD is really necessary for the meat of your rotation on bossfights, but it cleans up trash and adds so efficiently I don't think I'd try a build without it (that isn't even mentioning PvP where TD is crown king of Burst Damage). The meat of the Pyro tree does so much more damage than anything in Adv Proto that the trees aren't even close.

Hell, I'd sooner DPS a Hard Mode as ST/Pyro than I would as Adv Proto ever again. When the Pyro slot machine pays out, it pays out that much. The only reason I would ever spec Adv Proto ever again is if I was diagnosed with horrible motion sickness and needed to PvP without Jet Charge; the 20% damage reduction while stunned is the only thing going for Adv Proto in any environment over the other two specs and hybrids thereof.

such an idiot reply.. how can you compete their dps by looking the endpvp total damage numbers?!?!? Dude, pyro tech has dots' that means, you can damage neraly every enemy you see in the blink of an eye. you dont even have to chase them, 2 shots, then you have you CGC dot on the target. so simple.

on the other end AP depends on single target burst damage. dot damages are always higher than sustained and burst damages. its same in lethality vs markman or annhi vs other specced marauders.

I have not spent very much time with pyro and it does seem to do more damage than AP from parses that I have seen and simulations but it certainly doesn't mean that AP isn't viable. I decided to level an alt using AP so that I could learn it from the beginning to give it an honest shot. My guide can be found on my guild's website here for those that are interested in trying it: http://affliction.swtorhost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8949398&gid=253896

Basically there are a few changes in gearing and set bonuses that need to be made compared to pyro to fully maximize the AP DPS. This is also from a PVE perspective and not PVP whatsoever. AP is perfectly viable and in min/maxed 61 gear I can keep up or do more damage than most classes in similar gear with the exception of good marauders and snipers and probably other pyros (although I have never had the chance to do an operation with one in my group). I personally find the class very fun to play and I have really strong AOE and burst in addition to zero heat issues.

• 2 weeks later...
I can honestly say ive played with an AP powertech or tried it out but im sure it can keep up with single target dps of a Pyrotech in Operations. Im not pretending to know of AP but Pyrotech is definitely one if the strongest dps in the game. Proof is the constant aggro-stealing that happens and general high dps numbers. I have always been interested in AP however

If your intrested in a tankish build there's a shield/pyro build that's pretty decent (works for PVE tanking too). Basically go up the tank tree to get rocket pack then up the pyro tree picking up heatseeker and superheated rail.

The spec really comes into it's own at about 48, but it's a very solid spec, good surviabilty good damage excellent mobility.

How I wish they would give Rocket Pack to all Bounty Hunters, or at least Powertechs always thought it a poor choice to make it pretty much tank only.

we dont get rocket pack standard becuase we get grapple standard. its a trade off of gap closers. assassins get their gap closer, force speed, standard, but have to spec for pull. its equal. juggs get their gap closer standard and push. while they get both standard, and both have uses in variable aspects, i find pull to have more use than push

You're joking right? I've been 50 since the first week, Valor Rank 50, if you're failing to use Flame Thrower, you're not using your Carbonize correctly.

Failing to be able to properly use Flamethrower, while not picking up one of the best talents in AP proves to me, you're a nub.

youve been 50 since the first week and are only valor 50? my PT has been 50 for 3 days and im valor 60.............

I personally use AP and like it. I also like pyro, but i find AP better. ever since they buffed the FT. 60-70% pf my FT run their course, so thats really not the problem. Also a hybrid could work, but that would have to be tested. Either of them are good for leveling, since the class itself is an awesome leveling class.