Feature Request: Tutorial/Practice instance without timeout.

GrouchyOldJedi

I think it would help with the frustration many are having with the controls if there was a way to practice solo without the constant pop-ups and time limitations of the current tutorial. Those who have already mastered the controls and other mechanics are often frustrated having unskilled pilots on their side. And those of us who aren't the best with this sort of game, but truly want to get better without screwing up others' enjoyment would certainly appreciate having a stress-free environment in which to improve before going toe-to-toe in PVP.

I agree. If I want to adjust my UI or my keybinds there's no place to test with the current tutorial. Once you have completed the tutorial once, you should have the option of turning off all of the "pauses" and be able to just fly around.

Two captureable objectives with turrets (so when you capture one, the other has reset) would also help reinforce the idea that winning GSF matches is about capturing and controlling objectives.

+1

Should not offer anything more than a practice environment. No achievement, no points, nothing gained, except it will have on offer three modes:

drone, normal, hard

Drone is just stuff around flying at idiotical speed and maneuverability.

Normal where the enemies are doing some basic capable stuff and new players can die, but experienced players will find easy.

Hard, where experienced players will find a challenge (this will be the hardest to balance).

Would also be nice if you could select the ship you want to fly in the tutorial area. Let me select one of my own ships, equipped as it's currently equipped with the skills I would use in a match, and fly around the area practicing there instead of at my group's expense in a match.

Just my 2¢

All these are excellent ideas. Some moving targets would be nice, too. Don't bother figuring out any AI, just make them fly straight. Call it a gunnery range, and make the object to score some fairly high percentage of hits to successfully complete the mission. I'm getting the flying down in spite of the hand-hurting sub-optimal mouse / /keyboard controls, but I still can't hit worth a darn. And you can't learn that when you're getting pounded in the PvP matches. Not quickly, anyway. My hit percentage has gone up a measly 4 per cent since the first mission I flew in PTS open weekends.

That was my favorite thing about ME3... The firing range. I spent hours in there testing all my tweaks to weapons ini files.

I have already spent a decent amount of time in the current tutorial testing turning radii and other flight mechanics with a stopwatch and pre-programmed flight sequences (due to the abysmal flight information feedback that is virtually non existent currently- no airspeed, no artificial horizon, no map or coordinates, no numerical data of any kind; and total lack of any technical information from bioware) But if I want to test any of my actual ships I have to go into an active WZ and go hang out in the corner while the rest of the team is handicapped by my absence and lack of participation. It is horribly difficult and taxing to test weapons in any semi-scientific setting under those conditions, not to mention unfair to my teammates.

you don't even need AI on enemy ships, just have them circling the satellite, some way out, some close in tight. That's what happens in game *a lot*, so practice following and swooping in on them would come in very handy.

Also I second the "select your ship" for tutorial, so you can test out your current loadout. The tutorial ship is awesome, but I have no idea what/how you would get it in game (anyone know the loadout of the tutorial ship?)

I think it would help with the frustration many are having with the controls if there was a way to practice solo without the constant pop-ups and time limitations of the current tutorial. Those who have already mastered the controls and other mechanics are often frustrated having unskilled pilots on their side. And those of us who aren't the best with this sort of game, but truly want to get better without screwing up others' enjoyment would certainly appreciate having a stress-free environment in which to improve before going toe-to-toe in PVP.

Hey Devs! the tutorial has a click box to turn off the fracking pop-up hints. But it does not work!

need the free run to loosen up each day before hitting the launch, (or in between ques) you know professional (or amatuer) competitors need to practice and warm up before the real thing. Work out the kinks and so on!

The thing I remember doing was not destroying the turret. After I X'ed out all the text up to that point I just flew in and around the satellite and the asteroids just to get the feel for the handling. I noticed when I destroyed the turret, that's when it would time me out shortly after because it's the last "objective" in the tutorial. I don't believe it times you out until you destroy it. And yes, turning off the popups does not work, they still popped up for me after I read them once and checked the box not to see them again.

But otherwise yes, at the very least all ships should be added to the tutorial. Hopefully if we get some pve content coming they can add npc ships to practice on. That's probably not something they have worked out yet, but it would seem to me it wouldn't take much to at least allow us to pick a ship to use for the tutorial.

Edited by Ridickilis

Would also be nice if you could select the ship you want to fly in the tutorial area. Let me select one of my own ships, equipped as it's currently equipped with the skills I would use in a match, and fly around the area practicing there instead of at my group's expense in a match.

Just my 2¢

Fully agree. I decided to give the Gunship's Interdiction drive a go, after being on the receiving end of it once and being surprised at just how much and long it cripples you for. I was hoping the speed boost was somewhere near equal to the Barrel Roll move though.

Sadly it's nowhere near, and still consumes power, so I was fairly useless in the match I tried it (I usually like to play Gunship by shifting postion a lot with Barrel Roll, to best assault/defend).

Having a chance to have tested that privately would have saved me being a lame duck for my team in that battle!