Are all servers located in the same physical location?

Jagwaar

I'm just curious if it does not matter which server we chose for connection quality? My brothers who live in the East rolled on a West server and before I join them I wanted to see if it would make much difference.

Thanks in advance

Our servers are located in different physical locations, as denoted by their listing in Server Selection. We have servers on the East Coast USA, West Coast USA, and in Europe.

Could you be more specific - are all European servers located in the same country/city? If not, is there a way to determine which server is hosted where?

Thanks for the quick response Allison, much appreciated.

I would gather from your response that since there is a physical distance associated with the actual servers that it would be a wiser choice to stay in your own region?

Where exactly is a good question and one that I need answered also.

I live in Central Canada & therefore I have no knowledge of whether I am closer to the "West" or "East" server without a specific city location.

This information would be great!

Edited by Nowhere

my understanding is there are 3 data centers.

1 on the west coast

1 on the east coast

1 in europe

Correct that is reason the latency is very low if you pick a server close to your time zone. Like I am on the western border of EST and latency is 28-52 MS. Latency on Western server is 2x that for me.

• 1 year later...
Thanks! Now to find out where the East coast servers are.

I was having a bad lag problem one night on Shadowlands (an "Eastern Time" Server) and used a program I have to get the IP address of all my computers connections, then an IP Lookup for physical location, and was surprised to find that Shadowlands is in San Francisco as well. A speed test to San Francisco during the lag episode showed me that the lag problem was in the internet path somewhere (300 - 3k ping and <1mbps to 1.8 mbps to San Francisco and 30 - 50 ms ping and 0ver 10 mbps to Austin .... where I had assumed the server was)

Where exactly is a good question and one that I need answered also.

I live in Central Canada & therefore I have no knowledge of whether I am closer to the "West" or "East" server without a specific city location.

This information would be great!

This is an old necro.. but it's still worthy of comment since it's being pinged for server info again.

Exact locations of servers is generally NOT something that a company will disclose. Why? concerns about security. Besides.. they probably host from within one of the mega-farms that house much of the commercial server hardware these days. And those mega farms do not permit specific disclosures.. again for security reasons.

West Coast US servers are somewhere in the southern half of California I believe. The East Coast servers, probably somewhere in Virginia. Europe.. no clue.

I'm just curious if it does not matter which server we chose for connection quality? My brothers who live in the East rolled on a West server and before I join them I wanted to see if it would make much difference.

Thanks in advance

My understanding is that ALL American servers are in Texas, possibly housed within Bioware's HQ, which is in Texas.

My understanding is that ALL American servers are in Texas, possibly housed within Bioware's HQ, which is in Texas.

Can't be.

My ping to west coast servers is 25ms (I'm on the west coast and this is consistent with ping to other internet servers in California).

My ping to east coast servers is north of 80ms. This is roughly consistent with pings I get from other internet servers on the east coast.

Clearly they are in different physical locations and far apart.

Bioware's HQ is not in Texas, it's still in Edmonton....as has been stated the west coast servers are in San Fran, the east coast, no clue, but if I had to guess I would say somewhere in Viginia.

The Bioware Texas branch is located in Austin, along with several other EA studios.

• 7 years later...

So to confirm, based on my location in the world, I should pick the server that's closest to me for optimal performance right?

I am in the UAE hence why I have picked European server for two months now, and not the North American one (feared I'd get same problems as console connections to only-NA servers on certain game passes).

And if this is the case, why doesn't SWTOR create more servers equally distributed around the world? Do remember places like India and China are the most populated and hence many SW fans would love to play this game at optimal performance.

Seems servers are limited to NA and Europe only, which kind of leaves the rest of the world out, no?

So to confirm, based on my location in the world, I should pick the server that's closest to me for optimal performance right?

I am in the UAE hence why I have picked European server for two months now, and not the North American one (feared I'd get same problems as console connections to only-NA servers on certain game passes).

And if this is the case, why doesn't SWTOR create more servers equally distributed around the world? Do remember places like India and China are the most populated and hence many SW fans would love to play this game at optimal performance.

Seems servers are limited to NA and Europe only, which kind of leaves the rest of the world out, no?

I'm in France and can play NA servers quite ok most of the time. Then again I'm 5000 km closer than you are...

Edited by BenduKundalini