Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

64 Bit Client coming? Please say yes!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
64 Bit Client coming? Please say yes!

TUXs
05.07.2019 , 02:42 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Rubbish. 32-bit code, if correctly constructed, is just as capable of being multithreaded as correctly constructed 64-bit code is.

And, frankly, it doesn't matter whether that's across multiple cores, multiple (hyper)threads on a single core(1), or even multiple physical CPU chips with one singlethreaded core each..

What "64-bit" gets you is the ability to use larger amounts of memory per process, nothing more and nothing less. That, of course, does give you some benefits, but those benefits are entirely unrelated to multithreading.

Anti-disclaimer: (for those who aren't already aware) I'm a programmer, although not of video games. Being a programmer has paid my rent for over thirty years.

(1) For sure, "multiple" here means "one or two", but...
That was actually rather interesting...a rarity for these forums
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Lhancelot
05.07.2019 , 05:05 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Rubbish. 32-bit code, if correctly constructed, is just as capable of being multithreaded as correctly constructed 64-bit code is.

And, frankly, it doesn't matter whether that's across multiple cores, multiple (hyper)threads on a single core(1), or even multiple physical CPU chips with one singlethreaded core each..

What "64-bit" gets you is the ability to use larger amounts of memory per process, nothing more and nothing less. That, of course, does give you some benefits, but those benefits are entirely unrelated to multithreading.

Anti-disclaimer: (for those who aren't already aware) I'm a programmer, although not of video games. Being a programmer has paid my rent for over thirty years.

(1) For sure, "multiple" here means "one or two", but...
*mic drop*
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696