Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

64 Bit Client coming? Please say yes!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
64 Bit Client coming? Please say yes!

Crothu
05.05.2019 , 02:29 PM | #1
Has anyone heard if a 64 bit client is in the works?

In my experience when games have made the jump it has been a night and day difference. Hell I might even, dare I say it, turn shadows on!

But yes. SWTOR it is time. 64 bit client time. The 32 bit empire has ruled long enough.

MadDutchman
05.05.2019 , 03:42 PM | #2
I would be stunned if they made such a switch.

Horrible technical challenges of changing client architecture aside, the effect it would have on the game would be minimal unless they also updated huge swathes of the game to take advantage of the larger address space. Of course, then people would be coming here to complain about SWTOR taking too much RAM...

64 bit is not a magic wand.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

xordevoreaux
05.05.2019 , 05:47 PM | #3
64-bit single-threaded doesn't get you much farther than 32-bit single-threaded except for things like memory addressing and the length of variables, the lack of which isn't what the swtor client suffers from.

Multi-core utilization is more important than bittage for this game client. The operating system can do some multi-core assignment on its own, but that's clumsy and crude and generic at best. Real work would need to be done to identify and split up processes that could be dedicated within the client to multiple cores to make more functions work in parallel, but then -- you're looking at a mixed bag for those players whose computers have different core counts.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Lhancelot
05.05.2019 , 06:10 PM | #4
Yes, and wookiees will be a playable race someday.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

TrixxieTriss
05.05.2019 , 06:22 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Yes, and wookiees will be a playable race someday.
LoL, I’d love that. As long as the female ones don’t look like those captive Wookies in Solo.

TrixxieTriss
05.05.2019 , 06:25 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
64-bit single-threaded doesn't get you much farther than 32-bit single-threaded except for things like memory addressing and the length of variables, the lack of which isn't what the swtor client suffers from.

Multi-core utilization is more important than bittage for this game client. The operating system can do some multi-core assignment on its own, but that's clumsy and crude and generic at best. Real work would need to be done to identify and split up processes that could be dedicated within the client to multiple cores to make more functions work in parallel, but then -- you're looking at a mixed bag for those players whose computers have different core counts.
64 bit is needed for more multi core support. But you are right, they would need to make sure the game runs better on multi cores and would also need to add DX12 + support to get the real benefit from 64bit on today’s PC hardware.

Lhancelot
05.05.2019 , 07:48 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
LoL, I’d love that. As long as the female ones don’t look like those captive Wookies in Solo.
I got to go google this. I never seen the female wookiees.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

TrixxieTriss
05.05.2019 , 09:05 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I got to go google this. I never seen the female wookiees.
I’m guessing they are female because they have less hairy faces and are much small than Chewie.

BelorfinSiana
05.06.2019 , 01:12 AM | #9
I do not like this idea. This is a 2011 game and I don't think it's worth upsetting 32-bit Windows owners who still play it.
The Siana Legacy - Star Forge
Isharo Izark; Jorran Reynn; Aldo Fetmirna; Zelorfin; Valurin; Mechinus; Belorfin (Siana); Lucîan

ultimarb
05.06.2019 , 04:40 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BelorfinSiana View Post
I do not like this idea. This is a 2011 game and I don't think it's worth upsetting 32-bit Windows owners who still play it.
long term support for the last 32 bit windows ends next january and 2020 was an extra extended support. lts should only be relevant for companies and goverment organisations with huge amount of legacy software.
IT Sercurity should be upset of people using such os.
the cost of updating legacy software would be like selling a new game...
Seven Stuck - Hakuna Rakata
Final Tauntaun

Check our Sale-Raid Offers on Tulak Hord - German - English