Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Location Bias

MadDutchman
05.05.2019 , 12:16 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by StudentOfCitadel View Post
Upon further investigation I have found that the IP address from the game has conflicting Geo-location tags. It is possible that the servers are located in Virginia, but if that is the case, what would be the cause of my issues? I genuinely want to know if there is some way I can prevent these lag spikes from happening. I have a couple images so you can understand my confusion.

In-Game with CMD Prompt Info

Geo-Location Tags
Where are you playing from?
Do you play any other games that rely on constant low latency connections? Any issues?
Are the lag spikes prolonged/Is it an increase in lag or is a full on disconnecting for awhile?
Do the lag spikes show up in the in game connection info, or is it just in game hitches/invisible walls etc. while latency remains low?
Have you tried running pingplotter to find what hop it chokes on?

More info you can give us the better.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Jdast
05.05.2019 , 12:27 PM | #12
Yeah, there is something going on somewhere besides server location. That's the extent of my knowledge about servers...

But there are arguably few better than yours truly to provide a basis for comparison. I maintain two residences. One is out West (Arizona) -- and one in the heart of Washington, DC. In Arizona, I have a ping (or whatever the hell you call it) of 82-85 MS. When I'm back in DC, it is 25-28 MS.

Ashburn, even though it is Virginia, is about 20-45 minutes from downtown DC aka the White House (depending on how horrific the case of I-66 Corridor traffic).

Hope you get the situation resolved.

Dasty

TrixxieTriss
05.05.2019 , 04:01 PM | #13
Upon further investigation I have found that the IP address from the game has conflicting Geo-location tags. It is possible that the servers are located in Virginia, but if that is the case, what would be the cause of my issues? I genuinely want to know if there is some way I can prevent these lag spikes from happening. I have a couple images so you can understand my confusion.

In-Game with CMD Prompt Info

Geo-Location Tags
Ideally, you should download a program called ping Plotter and then run it while playing. This will show you live graphical stats on your connection and the hops between you can the server.

TrixxieTriss
05.05.2019 , 04:03 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Elessara View Post
Severs go *glug glug* ... splash?
Scuba Steve Servers

StudentOfCitadel
05.06.2019 , 09:32 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
Do you play any other games that rely on constant low latency connections? Any issues?
Are the lag spikes prolonged/Is it an increase in lag or is a full on disconnecting for awhile?
Do the lag spikes show up in the in game connection info, or is it just in game hitches/invisible walls etc. while latency remains low?

More info you can give us the better.

► Georgia, ~30 minutes north of Atlanta.

► I've played WoW, GW2, RIFT, Tera, and spent a good 20 hours a day on VR Chat when I was out of work.
► As far as any issues, I only had some long load times in VRC.

► They come every 15 minutes or so, I believe I'm disconnecting but instead of kicking me, the game just waits to reconnect.

► Both, sometimes I'll just be playing and the world isn't there after cresting a hill or something, other times the "server lag" meter indicates the one red bar, then Xs out and it skyrockets to 30k+ (where I'm assumed disconnected).

► Yes, and from what it shows the highest ping between two nodes was 170ms, during a spike, and that would be the Washington > Virginia Route (there are still 3 more hops after that aren't too bad ~30ms each).
Collector's Edition Founder
2011 Jawa Club

TrixxieTriss
05.06.2019 , 09:38 AM | #16
► Georgia, ~30 minutes north of Atlanta.

► I've played WoW, GW2, RIFT, Tera, and spent a good 20 hours a day on VR Chat when I was out of work.
► As far as any issues, I only had some long load times in VRC.

► They come every 15 minutes or so, I believe I'm disconnecting but instead of kicking me, the game just waits to reconnect.

► Both, sometimes I'll just be playing and the world isn't there after cresting a hill or something, other times the "server lag" meter indicates the one red bar, then Xs out and it skyrockets to 30k+ (where I'm assumed disconnected).

► Yes, and from what it shows the highest ping between two nodes was 170ms, during a spike, and that would be the Washington > Virginia Route (there are still 3 more hops after that aren't too bad ~30ms each).
From what you’ve said, I would say you have an ISP routing problem and some of the hops between you and the server are causing the problems, not the actual game servers or their location.

denavin
05.07.2019 , 06:46 PM | #17
If your having a high ping from Georgia then look at your ISP as the problem. I live in Hawaii. That's 5000 miles out in the middle of the pacific ocean. We have NO direct internet it all comes from California via undersea cable. I get a consistent ping of 131ms for SWToR. I also play EvE Online and get a consistent ping of 79ms and their server is in London England.

Bad Ping is many time the fault of either your ISP or more local (ie... your computer or network) and not so much the server or where it is.
HK-55: "Do you think she passed her test?"
Z0-OM: "According to my sensors.... NO
."