Group finder..?

Deinbeck

What in God's name happened to the group finder?

I popped on recently to play, paid a sub fee and now I regret it. This group finder doesn't build proper parties anymore. How are you supposed to do the content if the group finder doesn't function?

There may be queue times for dps roles in other games, but at least you can get into a party and do the content. The experience I just had while trying to do a couple of flash points was literally the worst thing I have experienced in an MMO in many years. Having no role trinity in the group finder for a game designed around said role trinity breaks the game.

Master Mode Flashpoints are Level 70 Roll Based. But you MUST have a minimum gear rating to join the group.

Veteran Mode are Roll Neutral and all Non level 70s are bolstered up.

So if you want to play Roll Based you will have to do Master Mode.

They diversified group finder so that leveling players can still run veteran mode fps without the need for the trinity and therefore large queue times, while endgame players can queue for the role defined master mode fps. All in all much better than before and definitely not broken.

I popped on recently to play, paid a sub fee and now I regret it. This group finder doesn't build proper parties anymore. How are you supposed to do the content if the group finder doesn't function?

What exactly doesn't function? You don't get a trinity group for Master Mode flashpoints or..?

What exactly doesn't function? You don't get a trinity group for Master Mode flashpoints or..?

best guess is he came back to the game from a time when SM FP required a full trinity group. Now what used to be like SM FP are Vet FP and don't require a trinity group.

This group finder doesn't build proper parties anymore.

As explained in other replies, "Veteran" mode FPs don't require the trinity any more. Once you've done enough of them and learn how to self mitigate damage and self heal, you'll find that it works quite well.

For veteran mode FPs, a group of 3 DPS and 1 healer is probably best**. Since the FPs don't require a tank, most of the time, the tank just becomes a low-output DPS. (Although a good tank is an asset.)

You may be one of those annoying people who keeps rejecting the group every time you don't see the classic trinity. Be brave - just do it. :D

** I've successfully done veteran FPS with just about any group make-up you can think of - 2dps/2 tanks, 2 healers/2 dps, 4 DPS, etc.

Edited by JediQuaker

So what do I do? Ignore the flashpoints until I can do the Master Mode ones?

No, you do the veteran flashpoints. Just keep in mind that the "trinity" isn't needed - with emphasis on the "needed" part.

You may find that, if you are a tank or healer, you might not get the chance to fully do your "role"**. If the group is having problems it may be simply a lack of experience on the part of some group members. It may take a brief learning curve to do the FPs without the trinity, but that's about all.

Also, don't worry about "wipes" - it's just a game, nobody really dies. :)

** Since DPS like myself are used to doing veteran FPs without a tank or healer, you may find that people will, for example, use Koltos whether there's a healer or not, and people may not wait for the tank to attack and agro, etc.

Edit - oh yes, almost forgot. Veteran mode later FPs, such as Umbara, Nathema, Crisis Among the Chiss, etc, are quite a bit harder than the older ones like Hammer Station, etc, so it may be better to either remove them from your list (at the cost of some rewards) or reject them if they pop.

Edited by JediQuaker

So what do I do? Ignore the flashpoints until I can do the Master Mode ones?

I get that this new group finder functionality is alien to you and yes, sometimes you might have bad experiences with lower level players who think they can play like a lvl 70 char because of the bolstered stats. Also there certainly are fps that are far less suited for veteran mode than others (Blood Hunt, I look at you!)

I'd recommend to give it a go some more and try to get used to the role neutral groups. If you can't get yourself to like it in exchange for shorter queue times, then yes consider waiting the level and gear needed to hit the master mode fps.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Another thing to consider is that your in a PUG, which commonly stands for Pick Up Group.

But PUG has other meanings.

PUG = Particularly Useless Group

PUG = Practically Unskilled Group

PUG = Potentially Under-powered Group

PUG = Prosperously Under Geared

I'm sure you can come up with many others...

Guys, I get that you've been playing with it that way for a while, and I respect that you guys are ok with it.

From my point of view it is a band-aid fix for an obvious problem that has been an issue since group finders became a thing.

There has to be a more elegant way to do this that doesn't involve breaking the group finder and putting hp clickies at each boss. 30 min queues would be a pain, I get that. FF14 for instance has 15-20 min queues for DPS, but at the same time their system allows you to do all of the content in the manner it was designed to be done in.

I do quite like this game, and it bothers me greatly that their solution to long queues is so poor. It really detracts from the experience.

Guys, I get that you've been playing with it that way for a while, and I respect that you guys are ok with it.

From my point of view it is a band-aid fix for an obvious problem that has been an issue since group finders became a thing.

There has to be a more elegant way to do this that doesn't involve breaking the group finder and putting hp clickies at each boss. 30 min queues would be a pain, I get that. FF14 for instance has 15-20 min queues for DPS, but at the same time their system allows you to do all of the content in the manner it was designed to be done in.

I do quite like this game, and it bothers me greatly that their solution to long queues is so poor. It really detracts from the experience.

There is another solution if PUGS are not your thing (they aren't mine) is to (1) put a group together yourself or join a guild that will have the group you want for flashpoints (that's what I do when I do FP and that isn't because of the trinity--just other reasons I don't like PUGS) .

These particular flashpoints are now designed to be done by any combination of players. They aren't intended to be incredibly easy though so realize you may actually have to strategize to beat the bosses.

The only solution I possibly see besides finding a group the old fashioned way without using the group finder is getting the option to check a box to either queue for role neutral or designated role groups when it comes to veteran mode. Though I believe that separating the queue lines has a high risk of canibalizing them in the process and the potential to increase the wait time across the board, which would in turn lead to even more frustration. This is the inherent problem of any mmorpg that has not 9 million active subscribers. Edited by Phazonfreak

Well, here is the deal:

- Most people prefer playing DPS classes, because it's easier \ faster \ more fun for solo content.

- Most veteran flashpoints (excluding Umbara, Copero and Nathema) can be easily done by two people or soloed.

- Thanks to veteran flashpoints being a thing you rarely wait for a pop for less than a few minutes (at least on Malgus) and I would be very upset if they were in any way changed or removed.

If you struggle with the content, here are a few tips:

- Decline pops where there are less than two lvl 70 players.

- Tell people you are new, they may give you some tips for bosses mechanics.

- Join a social guild and run with them in any role configuration you prefer.

The solution is easy. Join a guild, make friends, make your own party. You've taken the absolute laziest role into the queue and now have the gall to blame the queue for your woes. You want a better experience in GF, roll a tank.

The "trinity" is a joke. Tanks flat out SUCK to play in PvE since their nerf last year. Do your part. Rolling on your DPS and complaining is just lazy.

Edited by TUXs