Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

CM dyes on the GTN and is it time Bioware lowered the CM price?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
CM dyes on the GTN and is it time Bioware lowered the CM price?

kodrac
05.07.2019 , 09:56 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
My point exactly. I think people would see the lower price and actually buy more than the 700cc a lot of them are at the moment. When you see a lower a price, you often buy more of something than you probably should.
I know when Iím shopping and I see a good price on shoes, Iíll buy two pairs, even if it was over my original budget.
This is how Bioware could be getting people to spend more CCs and hence, make more money from the CM dyes.
You know they won't though. Their price points are set for their target audience.. As long as people are willing to click 'buy 2000 cc' and then drop 1000 cc on a black/black dye, or buy 10,000 cc and drop 8,000 cc on gear and 2 black/black dyes, they have no incentive to drop that price. What people do with the stuff afterwards doesn't matter to them. I'm not their target audience. I'm small fry. I use my monthly grant and get a 240 cc one or two. You really aren't they're target either since you're only willing to buy from the GTN. They aren't concerned with GTN prices or sales. Yes I know, someone had to pay to put it on there in the first place, but as long as people are willing to do that they're only concerned with that original bulk purchase of cc and how much they can squeeze out of you for a purchase. You squeezing out more stuff from a purchase doesn't incentivise them.

Think of it like this. It's $20 for 2400 cc. I can get 2 black dyes and have 400 left over. Or for just $20 more (infomercial voice) I can get 5500 cc. That's 5 black dyes and 500 left over, some for me some for the GTN. What a deal. Bam! They got you. Because now you've spent $40 instead of $20. What a deal indeed - for them. Them dropping prices on dyes (or anything really) means you can get more out of a $20 purchase instead of pushing you into going up to $40. It may mean you don't make a purchase, but c'est la vie, you weren't the target, the next person that does go big is. What you get with the cc package isn't important in so far as you buy the best deal.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Iíd find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.

Nausgaming
05.07.2019 , 11:02 AM | #22
I just came back since free EXP weekend.

I realize that dyes are one-time use, but they can last a long freaking time. I don't see investing 10 dollars on a dye to be a waste if I wear it for a month or so. You can make up an outfit, apply a dye, and unify the colors--and that outfit will be saved FOREVER!

They give us additional outfit slots, so I just purchase a new slot if I want to test something. But honestly, dyes don't seem to disposable as people make it out to seem. Unless you're swapping your colors out every other day. I suppose that can happen.

-----------------

I have a friend that religiously buys dyes for cartel coins to sell on the GTN. He claims nothing sells faster.

Visorknight
05.07.2019 , 11:32 AM | #23
If you take a look at the GTN economy now, there is a massive credits inflation going on from basic level 1 to 10 green crafting mats each going from 1k to 9k depending on the market. This is due to the infinite conquest objective of crafting 50 items giving 300 conquest points each time. In such a market, almost all crafters will lose out as mats cost alone on gtn market price will always be more than finished product unless they take the time to slowly farm mats themselves. As of now, even normal casual players who are doing the class story can easily earn millions per day going through the story planets and selling gathered crafting mats on GTN. I would say that cartel dyes are working as intended, in fact 10 mil prices for black cartel dyes may even be too low today.

sharkfishman
05.07.2019 , 11:42 AM | #24
Basically, it's impossible for us to know the answer to the thread title.

If the devs are making their target sales for these exclusive items, then they're working as intended, and there's little reason to alter the price to give people more color for their money. The GTN is completely irrelevant, since it has no impact on the game's financials.

It's like complaining the Unstable Peacemaker lightsaber is overpriced, and more people would buy if it only cost 1,000 credits. Is it worth $50? I highly doubt it. Yet, the target audience seems to pay it happily. Black dyes and white dyes have always been extremely rare. At least now we can purchase the exact color desired directly (not me, I'm a cheapskate who only blows $40 unlocking CM styles, lol) instead of having to rely on RNG from a lock box.
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

Arkamos-Aurelius
05.07.2019 , 11:57 AM | #25
I honestly forgot the last time I purchased a dye directly from the CM. It seems like such a waste of CC, when I can gain more, CC to credits wise, if I buy something else and sell it on the GTN.
As for the question "who buys dyes for 500k-5kk"... GTN players like me? 5kk is nothing: I earn more in a day. And I don't need dyes that often that spending 5kk on one (or a bit more than that) is something I can't allow myself.

Storm-Cutter
05.07.2019 , 02:58 PM | #26
Secret is to craft dyes that are in demand and save up for dyes that are CM only.

The best sellers are anything with red and anything with black and certainly red and black combinations. - most go for between 50K and 100K every single day. There are also some crystals that need similar components which can sell for 100K -150K each most days.

make 5 a day - its easily 1/4M. if you gather the mats yourself they're almost free to make. and only take log-on time + 20 seconds every day with a crafting character.

I sold 1000s of these before I couldn't spend the credits fast enough. - so I stopped. Most of my fortune was built on dyes and augments/ aug kits.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

TrixxieTriss
05.07.2019 , 07:28 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
You know they won't though. Their price points are set for their target audience.. As long as people are willing to click 'buy 2000 cc' and then drop 1000 cc on a black/black dye, or buy 10,000 cc and drop 8,000 cc on gear and 2 black/black dyes, they have no incentive to drop that price. What people do with the stuff afterwards doesn't matter to them. I'm not their target audience. I'm small fry. I use my monthly grant and get a 240 cc one or two. You really aren't they're target either since you're only willing to buy from the GTN. They aren't concerned with GTN prices or sales. Yes I know, someone had to pay to put it on there in the first place, but as long as people are willing to do that they're only concerned with that original bulk purchase of cc and how much they can squeeze out of you for a purchase. You squeezing out more stuff from a purchase doesn't incentivise them.

Think of it like this. It's $20 for 2400 cc. I can get 2 black dyes and have 400 left over. Or for just $20 more (infomercial voice) I can get 5500 cc. That's 5 black dyes and 500 left over, some for me some for the GTN. What a deal. Bam! They got you. Because now you've spent $40 instead of $20. What a deal indeed - for them. Them dropping prices on dyes (or anything really) means you can get more out of a $20 purchase instead of pushing you into going up to $40. It may mean you don't make a purchase, but c'est la vie, you weren't the target, the next person that does go big is. What you get with the cc package isn't important in so far as you buy the best deal.
I understand the model, any proper retailer or sales manager also know you can get people to buy more and spend more often if people ďthink they are getting a bargainĒ.
The problem is Bioware are targeting the whales instead of the every day CM buyer,

If I have 1450cc and Iíve a choice between something I can use once like a dye for 700cc or an armour set I can use many times and itís on special for 1200cc and can open it for 240cc, then Iím going to buy it instead of the dye.
Iíve essentially spent more CC because it was on special and opening the set seems cheap. Iím certainly not going to buy 2 dyes.

Another way to look at it is the latest sale on opening collection items,
I rarely, if ever buy CCs because I feel most of the things on the CM are extremely over priced for digital pixel items you never actually own.
The CCs I do use are nearly always small transaction items, like opening collections, changing appearance or opening some legacy thing.
But when we have a sale on things like opening collections, I will buy CCs and make many small transactions. I then hunt for more things to buy on the GTN or the CM because I want to take advantage of the deal to open stuff. This often leads me to spend more CCs than Iíd planned and has even resulted in buying more.

Iím sure if dyes were cheaper, people would see them as better value and spend more to buy more. I know Iíd buy them if they were cheaper, but I will never buy them at the current price. Iím more likely to spend 2400 on some armour than spend 700cc on a one use dye.

TrixxieTriss
05.07.2019 , 07:45 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Nausgaming View Post
I just came back since free EXP weekend.

I realize that dyes are one-time use, but they can last a long freaking time. I don't see investing 10 dollars on a dye to be a waste if I wear it for a month or so. You can make up an outfit, apply a dye, and unify the colors--and that outfit will be saved FOREVER!

They give us additional outfit slots, so I just purchase a new slot if I want to test something. But honestly, dyes don't seem to disposable as people make it out to seem. Unless you're swapping your colors out every other day. I suppose that can happen.

-----------------

I have a friend that religiously buys dyes for cartel coins to sell on the GTN. He claims nothing sells faster.
Everyone has their own idea of whatís good value and whatís not. Often that comes from your up bringing, socioeconomic back ground and finically situation. Age also plays a part because as you get older, you start to become more responsible with your money. And everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Iíve 12 outfitter slots opened for 60+ Alts. Iíve 14 pages of outfits opened in collections. I know all about making barbie outfits because thatís what I do while I wait for slow pvp pops. Iíve spent $1000 over the years on the CM /opening collections and Iíve never once purchased a dye because they are not good value in my eyes.

A lot of dyes do not always show exactly what they look like on armour when previewed.
Some armour for instance says it changes colour, when it doesnít and some changes colour when itís not supposed to.
Sometimes you apply a dye to armour and it doesnít seem right or it would have looked better in another.
Iíve some outfits that have required 4-6 different dyes to get the look Iím going for.
Iíve some outfits that have 3 or 4 tops with different colour dyes because I canít decide which I like best

If dyes were not destroyed and you could remove and reuse them, then 700cc would be good value. But you can reuse them or remove them from armour. So I donít see them as good value.

I never use dyes that are over 100k on the GTN and I never use ultra rare dyes because they just arenít affordable / good value. The CM dyes I do use are from people inadvertently listing them at the wrong price or from crates. But if they are hard to replace due to the high cost, I often find myself not using them and just sitting on them.

If dyes were cheaper on the CM, Iíd probably buy them their than waiting for them to be cheap enough on the GTN. That would squeeze me to buy more CCs if I saw an armour set on sale because my ďfreeĒ CCs each mo th would be gone