NINJAS! We know who you are!

Seriously ninja looting shouldnt even be a problem. 1st of all you are grouped with ppl on your server so if they ninja you sure it might happen just ignore him and move on. The best way not to get ninjaed is very simple DONT WORK WITH PPL YOU DONT KNOW. Make friends see how they are and walla friends dont ninja friends. Lastly since its 4 - 6 ppl in a group have the companions come in so you need 1 other person for 4 mans or 3 for 6 mans. Edited by morganlion

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a rule when dealing with people, never assume a thing is done out of maliciousness, or greed when incompetence can explain it.

ie . . . ask if they understand the loot is not good for their class . . .it might surprise you in a new game that not everyone knows whats good for them.

Agreed. It's a new game.

Saw some guy during beta (of all places) just say something awful to somebody who did it by accident. There was 12 hours left in that new beta period and the guy freaks all out instead of just reminding/asking the dude.

And to all those guys that want to freak out on people, why not make it clear what the rules are to people joining the group while the game is still new to everybody. Make a hot key with the group tell that has the text. And like somebody said, they might think it's for their companion too so helps to get it straight.

Peace

I find your classification of other players as "greedy" frankly hilarious. The only one greedy if you need on something you don't need is you. For you, it's a few credits or a slightly more effective pet. For the person you took the item from, it's having to do the instance another half-dozen times, hoping not to run across someone like you again. So tell me, who is the greedy one here? The person who does an instance over and over, patiently waiting for something they use to drop and letting the rest slide, or you, who need on everything just because you want to get something out of every single instance you run?

I'm not taking it from anyone if I roll for a companion, because I (the player) needs it for my character (which my companion is an extension of). The only person who is selfish is the player who thinks that the Need before Greed rolling system just happens to have an option to roll but everyone should pass and NOT ROLL for most of the items.

You didn't have the item before the roll, so no claim was made. Do I roll on everything in groups? Nope, I rarely Need on items. Do I hate players dictating what everyone else should do when they chose Need/Greed instead of Master Looter? YES.

What will happen in a few weeks is players saying that a piece of equipment is 10% better for X class, so player A shouldn't roll Need because Player B will put it to better use even though it is a significant improvement for player A and it can be modded to be even more useful. All of the jerks who whine about ninjas an loot jawas will decide what everyone should have instead of just letting players make their own choices.

Is Needing to sell being a jerk? Sure.

Is Needing for a companion over some random player who could also Need for their companion being a jerk? Nope, even if they are so stupid as to assume that everything must be player based and what worked back in 2004 for loot distribution for raids somehow works for a system that allows players to make their own decisions and roll.

Selfish jerks who want to rule the loot distribution should set Master Looter instead of skewing the useful purpose of Need before Greed and stop worrying that someone else doesn't agree with their narrow and outdated views.

I dont like ppl ninjaing items but accidents do happen.

Last beta weekend i entered my first flash point, and at some point during a boss fight a screen opened up asking me need or greed.The item in question was a 2sided light saber.

I was playing a jedi consular i had a lightsaber so i decided quickly that it was way better then the saber i had, so i pressed need.

It was only after the battle that i figured out i couldnt even use it.I honoustly had no idea.

But there was no way to give the item to the man/woman who could have used it.

I hope they implement that option soon.

Edited by rempsv

I posted about this in another thread, actually. I agree about looting systems. It's high time they changed, to eliminate the 'Need' option on rolls, for classes that can't use an item. Leave the 'Greed' option, obviously, but otherwise eliminate the possibility of Ninja-looting, or accidental 'Needing'. Problem solved.

Problem with this is soon my ignore list is full. :eek:

I'd much prefer the restrictions apply at the base of the need greed mechanic itself. If we are going to be stuck with this type of (IMO) inherently flawed loot system, I'd like to see the policing put into the system itself.

IE:

Unable to need the item if it is not for your class. Obviously mods are going to be a wrinkle in this.

If you need the item it's exclusive, bind to character on pickup, and worth 1 credit until equipped.

You are able to trade an item between players for either a limited time, or while in the instance, to allow for the whoops wrong button issue.

A graphical indicator on what choice your fellow players have chosen, save time reading chat logs.

That's all I can think of for now.

• 2 months later...

Love the loot Jawa term, that's a keeper for sure.

I think everyone needs to understand that regardless of a players ability to use an item (for themselves or companion) or their plan to GTN it, they have an equal right to the loot that drops, same as everyone else in the FP, to think you have a greater right to something compared to anyone else is a degree of arrogance only outdone by your own ignorance!

Need is a relative (and very different to 'right') term and can only be agreed by everyone up front, the need for companions or not is not something the game mechanics cater for, companions are YOU, an item bound to you can be used by them, you are one and the same.

Need/greed is designed to allow players to give preference to other players for loot because they want to defer to someone who has a need (however you define it) for an item or they simply don't care. Its not a way for you to claim it, its a way for me to let you have it, same outcome, very very different perspective!

If the orange consular belt drops and I have one already but the other consular does not, whose need is greater? his because he can use the item? or mine because I can sell it for 500k and he can buy it with the 5M he has already made (v's the 100k I've scraped together)?

Its not something you can make a rule for or expect your rule to stick unless you agree it upfront, if in doubt everyone roll need and have a fair chance at every item. FAIR chance. I didnt come into your PUG to get you gear, not unless that's what we agreed to first.

The loot rules suck, its that simple, but its all there is until they add in the other options we have been used to for years in every other game.

Here's my issue and maybe you can help me. Everyone complains about Ninja looters and I understand the concept and why it would be a problem.

Here's the problem I have though. How are you supposed to be able to tell in the middle of a firefight at a glance, that the item is something you need or not? I'm serious. I know I'm probably going to get laughed at for this but I mean it. An item pops up and I'm supposed to make a split second decision about that item all while I'm monitoring my health bar, spamming attacks on an enemy and dodging return fire. I don't know how I can do that. But if I guess wrong, if I hit need instead of greed or need when I should have passed, than suddenly I'm a Ninja looter and it's ignore city.

How do you deal with that? Do you just wait until the firefight is over and then choose? What do you do? :confused:

Thanks.

If an idiot is stupid enough to loot during a fight he/she deserves to roll against need. My advice? always roll need if someone does that.

If the orange consular belt drops and I have one already but the other consular does not, whose need is greater? his because he can use the item? or mine because I can sell it for 500k and he can buy it with the 5M he has already made (v's the 100k I've scraped together)?

glad your not a member of my guild, lol course would not be for long. That mentality will guarantee a reserved slot on my ignore list.

Edited by BMBender

glad your not a member of my guild, lol course would not be for long. That mentality will guarantee a reserved slot on my ignore list.

It was an example specifically worded to flush out the sense of entitlement some think they have to things everyone has worked equally for, you proved the point nicely really :)