Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game #2

EricMusco

Wow, I really can't believe the negative reaction people have to SGR in this thread. Every time people complain about how SGR does not belong in Star Wars, I want to direct them towards Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur in Karen Traviss' Mandalorian novels, or have them play Bioware's KoTOR 1 as Fem!Revan and romance Juhani.

I honestly can't believe people are complaining about the smidgen of SGR (with NPCs -- which I can only imagine will be a few Flirt options) we're going to get because they want massive improvements for their things and THEY WANT IT NOW. (Some) people (including myself) have been waiting for SGR since game open. Take a chill pill; just because it's not on the top of your priority list doesn't mean it isn't on the top of someone else's.

Edited by Trudy

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the game is incredibly healthy with an ever increasing number of players who are actively playing (the servers are rocking!).

thanks for the insult, jeff.

Apac servers are again forgotten about.

Keep taking money while failing to live up to the promise all your 'protocol droids' are branding about:

we would like to assure you that we are doing our utmost to ensure that our players have the best possible game play experience.

shameful

Edited by Blitz-wing

And still no word on transfers from the barren PACIFIC SERVERS.

You are dead to us now bioware, dead as your servers you left us to rot on......

Yes. Our guild has 2 players that live in Australia. They both have geared lvl 50 toons they want to transfer off the dead oceanic servers. They like the game, but want to play with people. Please be nice and let them move.

Bioware I have a solution to make us OWPVPers happy and everyone else happy who do not want to be forced to pvp.

How about you add in a few open world pvp area's like outlaws den. Make them drop Merc comms within this zone. And also add a few daily pvp quest and weeklies. to kill x amount of players within.

The merc comm conversion should be 5 merc comms to 1 normal comms to prevent exploiting

Bam...open world pvp solved

Just this alone would be a massive improvement from nothing at all. I agree.

W

1 - We don't want more Warzones, Flashpoints, Operations, samo samo. We do enjoy what comes from there, but that's not our main concern. Main concern is actually OPEN WORLD PVP.

2 - We don't want an dinamic event on Illum. Actually, we do want it, but it ends too fast. We want Illum back as it was before, with a purpose to go there and make OPEN WORLD PVP.

3 - Test server char transfers. We don't care about it. It's all about your interest there.

I, personally, want to be excluded from your "we".

Seriously, you are talking about yourself, or you're having some delusions of grandeur and deem yourself worthy of pluralis maiestatis. This is a common trend in here, people think they are speaking for some assumed majority, when in all likelihood, they aren't.

You are making many fair points. You want open world PvP, and you have opinions about importance of features; that's all fair, but please don't make it sound like you were talking for most everyone.

I, personally, want to be excluded from your "we".

Seriously, you are talking about yourself, or you're having some delusions of grandeur and deem yourself worthy of pluralis maiestatis. This is a common trend in here, people think they are speaking for some assumed majority, when in all likelihood, they aren't.

You are making many fair points. You want open world PvP, and you have opinions about importance of features; that's all fair, but please don't make it sound like you were talking for most everyone.

To be fair, you must assume that he was talking for the OWPvP community and not everyone. There are a lot of players who are waiting for this, and sad to say many many more from large guilds that are not subbed anymore, but would likely resub with a decent OW PvP game. Obviously feel free remove yourself from the "we", but I don't think he was speaking for you.

Hey Bioware I had an two idea's about "Open world PvP" and how to implement it, Ilum and Tatooine (outlaws den) are currently not being used due to no "incentive" to go, you could take a leaf out of Star Trek Online books and have a a kinda of open world pvp hour (a few of these through the day/night).

For example looking at a built in event calendar it would have "Outlaw's Den Battle" at like 12pm-1pm (you could rotate areas with different times like Ilum at 4pm-5pm etc)

Then everyone participating in the "battle" in that area would get a reward based on how much you participated (yes rip off from guild wars 2 I know but it works) and an extra bonus reward for staying the course of the entire battle (so even if you get gold status for enough particpating, staying the whole event would lead to an event reward)

Rewards could be useful PvP gear or massive WZ commendations or even "fluff" stuff (like battle mounts, even animal mounts like Tauntan mount if event is at hoth per say)

This idea would be based on lv50 combat (or new level endgame) as it would give incentive for max levels to return to older planets (you could include all planets in rotations)

Now that was the first idea, the second idea would be instanced based and you could use existing areas (like outlaw's Den).

This could be implemented into the current PvP queue rotations, where you have our existing warzone's which are small number based and then you have large Battlezones where it would be 20v20 on much larger fields (again you could use existing areas on planets' like hoth, ilum, tatooine but they be instance based.

These could be 20 minute battles with greater pvp rewards. These Battlezones could have an opening and closing cutscenes (like you got on a couple of wz's) These battlezones could feel really epic like you are part of a star wars film battle (think battle of hoth etc).

So there are two options there for large open world pvp, I think these would be a great addition to the pvp structure in your game, hopefully you are reading these posts to notice this idea.

Edited by solo-nite

As usual, lots of discussion about what's new to be added to the game, but nothing about what will be fixed. The KNOWN ISSUES list continues to grow with every update as the devs break more code than they fix. I do not feel that SGR should be any kind of priority in a video game that focuses more on PvP than on RP.

"The game is incredibly healthy with an ever increasing number of players who are actively playing (the servers are rocking!)." This is because you eliminated a bunch of servers and crammed players into select servers resulting in HEAVY populations on the servers that remained. Adding the F2P players added even more to the populations, (and then we get those gold-sellers that we all knew would follow). HEAVY server populations result in F2P people needing to wait in queues to get in-game, but it shortened the queues for PvP zones. And now there is only one RP-PvP server left. This speaks volumes about the game's priorities.

When will you guys stop with the nonsense and start FIXING the things you broke?

When will I be able to speak to my companion in the Drunkard's Vote Cantina on Coruscant? Is this really that hard to fix?

When will Kira Carson stop carrying her lightsaber on her chest? When will we stop seeing lightsaber leftovers floating around where a companion once stood? When will you fix the taxis so they will stop flickering in flight? The list goes on and on, and with each update there are VERY few if any fixes.

I'm voting with my wallet. I won't be paying for any expansion until you start fixing things that are on the Known Issues list.

It doesn't matter if you truly are speaking for other players or not. It is simply bad practice to do so. Let your arguments stand on their own merit. If they need that "padding," then you need to work on making a more convincing point. Trying to bring more people into it, legitimately or otherwise, is just semantically lazy.

I want to direct them towards Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur in Karen Traviss' Mandalorian novelsi.

I've no idea who this author is so please, enlighten the masses.

Is this game based solely on this authors novel? I mean, was this person in contact with the games devs during the making of this game? Did this person get credit for the game?

People who write usually include whatever they like being it's their project. If this person is not responsible for the game and if the game was not made on her book, then what's in this novel, has no bearing whatsoever in this game.

The novel may be about the same thing but it was not done in any collaberation with the game.

Edited by RikHar

I've came back to see how the game changed, and while seeing "rockin'" servers where you can actually complete H4 without bugging cabalmates is nice .... What about DUAL / MULTI spec?

Please say it is in the works somewhere! Classes have WAY WAY too many buttons to push, respeccing than having to rearrange all the buttons again, hoping you didn't forget anything is tedious and whatever is opposite of fun is!

Please work on adding DUAL specs as a priority!

Also question about Digital Expansion: I wasn't it clear, but does it include continuation of CLASS storylines? Or just generic Faction storylines?

Also question about Digital Expansion: I wasn't it clear, but does it include continuation of

CLASS storylines? Or just generic Faction storylines?

Hi everyone - I asked Jeff Hickman for some clarification for you on whether Makeb will feature an extension of class stories. Here's the info:

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines. No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

So, Faction storylines only.

Disappointing. I have 8 characters, half of which are finished with their class stories, and two who are nearly done. Was really looking forward to what happened next in their stories. Is Makeb really going to be able to lvl us to 60?

Level cap is 55 last I heard.

They've said they're working on it but doing it is harder than people think.

Oh ok. Well I know they might not be able to, but it would be great to explain to the people who want to know, why it is not working or why it is taking so long. As in explaining coding issues etc.. Maybe they wont, but I would really like that. :)

Honestly, you can post as much negative feedback as you want, as long as it remains on topic of the original post and does not violate the Forum Guidelines lain out in the Rules of Conduct. (Which you can find Here.)

The guidelines you may want to take note of:

Quote:

Discussion of political, sexual, or religious topics is prohibited on the forums.

Do not hijack topics. Posting comments within a thread which severely disrupts the original conversation is prohibited.

Do not post about locked or deleted threads or other moderation actions.

Posts deemed inappropriate to a particular forum will be moved to a more appropriate forum or even removed completely. Posts that have been removed are not to be re-posted.

Back on Topic,

As someone who has been away from the game for a while, and yet still subscribing, I'm happy to see some of these changes finally being brought into the game.

I do understand that not everyone is getting what they wanted, however, there are people who have been waiting for some of this content since before the game was released, and in all fairness, it really is past time for it to be put in.

I don't to make a big fight. But something does not make sense to me, just want an explanation. If the forum guide lines say no discussion about...sexual....topics, then why the talk about same sex? Because my understanding is that a phrase that has sex in it, is sexual in nature. (even if I think its wrong) So I just want to know what is going on.

Forgot to add. Because it seems they (Bioware or the company or whoever made the forum guide lines) have broken their own rule of talking about sexual subjects, so does that mean that we can break them? Not that I would ever want to, just want an explanation on things because it is just is not making sense to me. Thank you!

Edited by Lakemine
forgot to add

Why would you put in SGR when you haven't given new items for the people who bought CE? Plus I bet 90% of the players would never want you to waste time with SGR ever...

Bingo!

I am a CE owner (from a red zone, so you know I wanted it badly enough to jump through hoops to get it), and I'm pretty happy they're putting SGR in at long last, as it's something I've been waiting for since launch.

As for the CE items on the vendor, that isn't why I bought the CE. I'm not really that upset that new items haven't been added - nor do I really care if they add them in the future or not.

Please don't try to speak for all of us.

Half the stuff included on here didn't deserve a major announcement. EA should look to replace Hickman for garbage communication like this. One major fail after another.

but do not look for massive new Open World PvP this year

Why was open world pvp even mentioned when they have no plans to implement it within the year?

Character Copy to Public Test Server (PTS)

This should not be part of the announcement there should be a seperate thread apologizing to the player base for a year of fail implementing this.

Same Gender Romance
A comlete waste of development time.

So 2 fails and 1 fluff are the huge major announcements for the upcoming year!!!!!! wooot!!!

Let's say it: a properly organized text chat is THE thing that drives an MMO, makes all the difference between a single-user game and a player community. For the sociopaths that generally populate these virtual dungeons a text chat window is a comfortable compromise between torrents of the real world and total seclusion. And the comfort of chatting means a lot, believe me.

This is why I never took any interest in WoW, the chat sucks there. And this is why I stayed for more than two years in EVE, because you can spend all the day simply chatting with other players in Local. No wonder some call EVE a multimedia chat.

The chat in SW:TOR is generally modeled after WoW and sucks full-time. But, well, you know, the art and voice acting and the lightsabers... It's not that I am leaving right now, may I humbly single out the main points for improvement instead.

There should be font support for all characters, not only Latin. As a Russian I feel this directly, using Latin instead of Cyrillic is a pain and words look weird. I'm sure Arabic script users feel the same, as well as the Chinese, the Japanese, Georgians and other tongues out there. Dear developers, the world is a bit bigger than you initially thought. Take a look at EVE or DnD communities if you think I am exaggerating things.

User channel creation and moderation should be available, owner rights should be recognized, and the best model for this could be the the Internet Relay Chat protocol. There are plenty of opinions and communities out there in the big world and everyone has a right for their own priivate text chat channel. I mean, when I created my first character on Red Eclipse almost the next thing I've done after that was to create the /cjoin Rus and /cjoin Russian channels. Since then the channels have been populated by various folk, the Rus one being especially successful. But although I was the first one on these channels, I've never managed to get any moderator privileges leave alone ownership. The existing system supports channels but does not recognize channel ownership or any moderation (yes, I've tried to use the moderation commands from beta to kick some morons and trolls from Rus, the slash commands won't work). Dear devs, please implement IRC chat in the expansion and grant me owner status for Rus and Russian on Red Eclipse.

Chat restrictions on F2P should be lifted, at least for all chatting in General and for joining user-created channels. Russian and Polish-speaking folk are currently causing untold disaster in the General chats of the starting locations when they start to discuss first steps in gameplay. They should be able to join their national chat channels from the very start. Dear developers, if you are concerned about real-money spammers, implement a "report real-money trade spam" menu option, right-clickable in chat, that would send a ticket and ignore the user altogether.

All in all there is much more to be improved in the chatting system of SW:TOR, fonts, window layout and channel selection to say the least, but the issues mentioned above are the most pressing ones. Let us hope they will be addressed in the expansion.

After being away almost a year and reading this blog I have again come to the conclusion not very much has really been done to help this SWTOR. Bugs that were here a year ago are still here, CS is still as bad as it was a year ago.

Missions some of them are to Long for a casual player he doesn't have that kind of time to be involved. The length of mission need to be shorten. To many repetitive Daily's with the available tech. today there should a generator to change the missions up from 1 day to the next like a map generator. AN Idea is having a Republic and Empire control planet that will allow raids to those planets, exploring other worlds is non existent in this mmo. Exploring the planet has exhaustion areas? some tunnel that allow taxis thru should also allow the player to go thru these r just a few examples of a few improvements class drops and Item after mission as I have still encounter while completing missions my smuggler would get sith items?? Selection of Items at the vendor hasnt improved at all over the years same old stuff poor selection. I have now seen the cartel from what I see it is poor marketing in there. I am not able to go to the cartel from the web site why? I am just disappointed overall sry for ranting. Ya got my coins for another month after reading this it will be awhile before I give you another dime

Edited by Tholdiel

Even the KOTOR I and II stories aren't part of the official STAR WAR timeline, they are part of an alternative and hipotetical one.
SWTOR follows the KOTOR timeline and is on the same level of canon. If anything is relevant to SWTOR's continuity, it's KOTOR.