Trasher HM - removal of sniper shields

What does it actually take to get the shields removed? I heard 2 versions so far:

1. Trasher's Roar

2. A melee getting up there and hitting the snipers.

We're having trouble clearing this boss and i would also like to know the rest of how you handle the fight.

Thanks.

The way the mechanic is "supposed" to work is having the tank move the boss to the side with teh adds and then having dps getting "knocked" up there. Once up there they can clear the adds with no issue.

If you are "breaking" the mechanics, you can send a tank up there and have him/her taunt.

Never had issues with it and roar. I haven't rdps'd it either so if its the ranged send a sent/mara and tank up there. Again simple solution, if nothing else use the roar. Edited by TrillOG-

Killing the Demo guy definitely doesn't remove the shield.

This is fact. Also read the text on Sniper's shield buff. It says it only shields against ranged attacks. Send a jumping tank and 2 jumping DPS up to the Demolitionist and those three can kill the adds in any order you want. No tank swaps, no Roar, no raid cleaving. So easy our Sin tank is playing Minesweeper the whole time he's on Thrasher.

Turning Trasher to face the direction of the snipers and moving it close enough to them before he roars and the roar does remove the shielding. At this time anyone in front of Trasher will get thrown up there. (Note also that Trasher does not stop roar if person who has aggro is outside its melee range)

But supposably the shielding only protects against ranged attacks so there is a that workaround using a melee...

I don't see how SO many people are having so much trouble with this. You kill the demolition guy, the one that you can force leap/charge to, The one who is on the farthest right, and doesn't have a shield, and after he dies the shields go down, kill the snipers, done. You don't need thrasher for anything. Simple. Now if you WANT to do it by the book I'm pretty sure you have to kill the demo guy first anyway, so its pointless to do it any other way.

Not sure what game you're playing.

Turning Trasher to face the direction of the snipers and moving it close enough to them before he roars and the roar does remove the shielding. At this time anyone in front of Trasher will get thrown up there. (Note also that Trasher does not stop roar if person who has aggro is outside its melee range)

But supposably the shielding only protects against ranged attacks so there is a that workaround using a melee...

So the roar removes the shields, but if positioning boss in time fails a melee can get up there and remove shields by hitting mobs? That is actually the answer/confirmation i'm looking for. I want the range that are down to be able to hit snipers and cause damage.

Roar removes shield and that is it. If positioning the boss before roar fails the ranged cant do anything.

Also you should not tank switch before roar. That is if after snipers appear the other tank taunts and takes the boss to the snipers (because he happened to be closer to them) it will actually turn back and still roar at the direction of the tank who had aggro before snipers appeared, so the tank who had aggro before snipers appeared needs to be the one to position Trasher.

You do however, depending how you do it, want the other tank take over after the roar.

So the roar removes the shields, but if positioning boss in time fails a melee can get up there and remove shields by hitting mobs? That is actually the answer/confirmation i'm looking for. I want the range that are down to be able to hit snipers and cause damage.

No, a melee can get up there and bash the Snipers in because their Shield doesn't work against melee attacks, RDPS are still out of luck.

Is it viable tactic then to just tank Thrasher against the wall as on SM and send 2 guardians/sentinels to deal with the adds?

Our guardians/sentinels can jump up to them, but our Vanguard tank had problem with that. Can anyone confirm if Vanguards are able to get upstairs?

I actually had alot of trouble jumping to them on my juggernaut. Made the jump like 1 out of 10 tries...

le: i can actually confirm powertechs/vanguards can jump. I have a tank pt on my team.

Edited by ipagex

I actually had alot of trouble jumping to them on my juggernaut. Made the jump like 1 out of 10 tries...

le: i can actually confirm powertechs/vanguards can jump. I have a tank pt on my team.

Then it must be a bug as my vanguard co-tank was trying the whole one attempt and didn't succeed. Or is there some trick you must know for it?

Maybe it's best then too take down the shield and have rDPS shoot them there......

Yeah, on SM you can get away with it as always at least one person sees them, but on HM you need more DPS on them to kill them in time. I think we'll need to try Dulfy's tactic and see how it works. Requires a fair bit of coordination but doesn't look too hard.

It's a little tricky to get the angle right so you can jump up, that takes a bit of practice.

At least on HM you can have a tank and dps stay up there all the time, three dps on Thrasher is enough (don't know about NiM yet)

If, in the worst case, the next group of snipers spawns on the exact opposite side of the arena, you call out the ranges to help burn the adds down, once their shield has been removed by the upper tank's taunt. If the next group spawns nearer to the last position, one tank and one melee dps can easily take care of all the adds - and the other three dps can just continue to burn down Thrasher.

NB: You don't even need melee dps or tanks who can jump for this: You can just have one tank and one melee dps kicked up with the first roar and then stay up there. The other tank positions Thrasher close to a wall (close enough so he doesn't get kicked up with the next roar) and keeps him there till the end. Like that it's more or a less tank&spank easy mode till the end...

It's a little tricky to get the angle right so you can jump up, that takes a bit of practice.

At least on HM you can have a tank and dps stay up there all the time, three dps on Thrasher is enough (don't know about NiM yet)

If, in the worst case, the next group of snipers spawns on the exact opposite side of the arena, you call out the ranges to help burn the adds down, once their shield has been removed by the upper tank's taunt. If the next group spawns nearer to the last position, one tank and one melee dps can easily take care of all the adds - and the other three dps can just continue to burn down Thrasher.

NB: You don't even need melee dps or tanks who can jump for this: You can just have one tank and one melee dps kicked up with the first roar and then stay up there. The other tank positions Thrasher close to a wall (close enough so he doesn't get kicked up with the next roar) and keeps him there till the end. Like that it's more or a less tank&spank easy mode till the end...

Tried doing that exactly like you described yesterday. I got thrown up the wall on first knockback my co-tank took over and I run to adds with a guardian DPS leaping to me. We took down first set of adds, but very already quite low on health and then they spawned on exactly opposite side, when I got to them they were already almost done building the turrets... But we only got 3 tries out of it as we were spent after 3hours on the Titan, so maybe it's a matter of quicker reactions and rDPS helping. Will try that next time.

Forgot: One of the healers needs to focus on the tank and dps upstairs exclusively.

And yes, those two have the toughest job, they have to be very quick and precise, do quite some damage in short periods of time, and make good use of defensive cooldowns - whereas the other six have an easy tank&spank :-)

With the speed Thrasher was going down in our case I was thinking maybe putting tank and 2xmDPS upstairs is not such a bad idea. But we'll try some approaches when we next get there. With overall group's gear improving every week it should soon have a little bit of margin for error.

We've tried to use the Roar to bring down the shields. It doesn't work. I've talked to the other guilds on my server who are clearing the operation. It doesn't work for them either. Everyone has their own strategy for dealing with this. What we do is send a tank and a Focus sentinel up top with the first knockback. They remain on the ledge for the entire fight and DPS down the snipers. Our Focus sentinel does about 3-3.2k while bursting on the snipers themselves, which combined with (sometimes low) tank DPS is enough to get each pack down just before the next one spawns. All the DPS on the ground just focus on the boss. The healers on the ground divide their time a bit, and those up on the ledge stand on the very edge to avoid LoS.

Interesting to see that, after 2 pages, opinions about what takes down the shields are stil split.

So far we have 3 versions that seems to work for some and not for others:

1. Roar

2. Melee hitting snipers (seen a youtube clip in which this was offered as the solution and also heard it from some people in-game)

3. Tank's AOE Taunt

My personal opinion is that Trasher's Roar (pushback) is simply a mechanism to get people up to the snipers and it is not the actual cause for the shields dissapearing.

Edited by ipagex

-In HM we let one person sit on thrasher, all the other DPS run in front to get thrown up.

-HUGE POINT HERE: DPS Stacks after jumping down, we stack on his butt for a sec for some AoE heals, then continue.

-It really eases the healing.

-Also for the DPS that gets knocked up, sit your butt on the edge so the healers who may be on the group can heal you.

Interesting to see that, after 2 pages, opinions about what takes down the shields are stil split.

So far we have 3 versions that seems to work for some and not for others:

1. Roar

2. Melee hitting snipers (seen a youtube clip in which this was offered as the solution and also heard it from some people in-game)

3. Tank's AOE Taunt

My personal opinion is that Trasher's Roar (pushback) is simply a mechanism to get people up to the snipers and it is not the actual cause for the shields dissapearing.

1) Roar. This isn't opinion, this is 100% if Thrasher is facing the snipers the Roar knocks the shield off.

2) Melee DPS. This is the easiest method by far, to quote Dulfy's guildy when we pugged 3 of them, "Holy **** this is so easy it feels like we're cheating." It takes a lot of damage on the Snipers to knock the shield off, simply hitting them once doesn't pop it off. Still, 1 tank and 2 DPS (our kill group is Jugg (sometimes PT) tank, Marauder, and DPS Jugg) jumping up and hitting them in melee range burns them down fast, and 2 DPS sitting on Thrasher the whole time is more than enough to kill him in time, without any ranged DPS ever needing to help.

3) Tank's AOE taunt only knocks off the shields if it's AOE taunt + Saber Reflect, and again the Saber Reflect has to do a certain amount of damage to the Snipers for the shield to fall off.

I've been in the Sniper kill group in all but 1 clear of the boss on either my Jugg or PT tank. Some days I jump to every Demolitionist, other days I just stay up after jumping to the first one. The trick is standing about 28-30 meters from the Demolitionist and jumping up when you hit your charge. Juggs can also Intercede to one of the others who managed to get up, but again you need to be 25+ meters out or the ledge will cause LOS issues. If you don't have the Warrior heavy composition we do, you can still send Sin Tanks or DPS up with a knockback and just have them sprint around the circle. If you're 4 Ranged DPS, then sucks to be you, welcome to a mechanic that punishes RDPS heavy groups. If you only have 1 melee DPS you can still send tank plus MDPS up as long as your MDPS is decently geared and you don't make mistakes. But, I always recommend sending 2 DPS plus Tank up to the Snipers as it allows more room for jump/run around the circle error.

The shields fall off by two mechanics:

1. The Roar
  2. The Sniper Changes Targets - caused by melee pulling threat or a tank's taunt

Simple as that.

On 8m HM we move the boss and knock a few up for each adds.

On 16m HM we keep the boss facing one spot and send a team of dps and a guardian tank up by jumping to the demolisionist.

2 methods and both work for us. The reason we do it different has to do with group make up and tank skill.

What we do is send all ranged dps (usually 2 or 3) up on the ledge together with a healer and a tank. Melees, second tank and second healer stay on the ground.

Ranged aoe down the adds, then start shooting at the boss until next group spawns. Sure, it's a long run between groups sometimes, but enrage is never an issue so works fine for us.