When did Luke Skywalker die?

Jediaidertwo

What ever happened to the heros of the original saga? Have their deaths ever been written about?

Now, I know that Crix Madien died in Darksaber (Not sure how or why!)- By Kevin Anderson , and Chewbaca died in Vector Prime-R.A Salvador (still haven't gotten over it:(), and that Mara Jade died in Legacy of the Force 1- Betrayal- By Aarron Allston. But, whatever happened to the rest of them? Han Solo, Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker Jaina Solo?

Edited by Jediaidertwo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke Skywalker at some point dies between 44 ABY and 137 ABY, other then that though. Theres nothing else. It needs to stay that way I think, cause if some author tries to explain his death it'll only end badly in the sense, fans will rage constantly about it cause they didn't like it. So leaving it so vague and mysterious, is rather a good thing and thats all that should be done. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Luke, Leia and Han walked into a mysterious fog one day, promising that like King Arthur, they would return when they were needed.

Can you imagine being the writer who was told "oh, and we want you to kill Luke"? You'd never be able to leave your house again for fear of all the fans who were sure you'd got it wrong, no matter what you did! Salman Rushdie would ring you up every day to express his deep sympathies. I really don't blame the EU people for leaving a fuzzy area of time between "stuff involving the Heroes" and "stuff involving the very distant descendants of the Heroes."

I also suspect the only person who could tell those stories is GWL himself, and he's not likely to do so.

I see most people base all their knowledge off of SW video games....

Luke will die in one of two ways:

Old age

Or sacrificing himself for the galaxy, and ultimately saving it until the One Sith or some new enemy emerges many many years later

Can you imagine being the writer who was told "oh, and we want you to kill Luke"? You'd never be able to leave your house again for fear of all the fans who were sure you'd got it wrong, no matter what you did! Salman Rushdie would ring you up every day to express his deep sympathies.

I nearly spit up my drink. Well played! :D

It's hard for him to be dead when he isn't alive yet... Since this takes place several centuries, probably MILLENNIA before the prequels, it'll be strange if anybody from the movies appears. Also, since the game takes place 300 years after KotOR, I doubt we'll encounter any non-droids from those games, as well. Here's hoping HK-47 didn't get dismantled!

Edit~ Sorry, I misunderstood; I thought the question meant "Why isn't he in-game?" Again, I apologize, but my comment still stands for reference.

Edited by Tsuki_Ouji
Addendum

George Lucas will rehire Karen Travis to kill Luke off. Who else can make such a Travesty? Who else is more hated among the EU authors? Who else hates Jedi and wants to put them in the place? :)

NO! His death should just be a mystery, because no author would be able to write it in such a way that everybody likes it.

What ever happened to the heros of the original saga? Have their deaths ever been written about?

Now, I know that Crix Madien died in Darksaber (Not sure how or why!)- By Kevin Anderson , and Chewbaca died in Vector Prime-R.A Salvador (still haven't gotten over it:(), and that Mara Jade died in Legacy of the Force 1- Betrayal- By Aarron Allston. But, whatever happened to the rest of them? Han Solo, Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker Jaina Solo?

Mara didn't die in Legacy of the Force 1 - Betrayal. She died in Legacy of the Force 5 - Sacrifice. As to the others, their deaths haven't been written yet because the books haven't progressed far enough in the timeline, yet.

Fate of the Jedi just wrapped up. Big surprise, the good guys live! That's as far as we've gotten in the timeline, aside from LEGACY which takes places almost a century after that. All we know about Luke's death is that he gets his father's gift of choosing his afterlife image, as his Force-spirit looks like a youthful Luke, not a 60+ year-old Luke. Killing off Luke, Leia, or Han would be a major event in a Star Wars book, even if it were illness or old age that did it. We may not see it happen; Del Rey may just quit at a certain point, and leave the galaxy alone for a time after Jag Fel's been made Emperor and Jaina (or another Jedi, possibly, one who disagrees with the direction of Luke's Order or just really digs Fel's take on things in the Empire, and Jaina grudgingly goes along with it) starts up the Knights of the Empire organization. That way 'nothing major' will happen for a period of decades, allowing a few generations to pass before the Fel Empire grows corrupt from within, under the Emperor's nose, and allies with the One Sith to take back the galaxy in LEGACY. And that's fine by me! Let Han, Leia, and Luke (and Lando!) get 'offscreen' deaths, at some unknown point in the 'peaceful' period.

Damn they need to make some more movies and use Mark Hamill as a 60 year old Luke Jedi Master who is re-establishing the Jedi Order.

He reestablishes the Jedi Order when he's in his 30s, actually. It's all chronicled in a number of books. By the time Luke's in his 60s, the New Jedi Order is already well-established!

NO! His death should just be a mystery, because no author would be able to write it in such a way that everybody likes it.

If he was still alive, I would say David Gemmell could have done it right. The guy was an excellent writer. Now, of the authors still alive today, Brad Meltzer is about as close as you could get.

You guys do know all of the story continues decades after the original trilogy through an expanded univer that is considered in canon with the movies, right?

Actually, no. C-Canon is different than G-Canon, and as far as Lucas is concerned, nothing after RotJ takes place. He reserves the right to retcon the entire ExU after Return of the Jedi IF he indeed decides to make more movies later.

About the only things in the ExU that George must be consulted on are the deaths of movie characters. Crix Madine and Chewbacca are the only two so far, to the best of my knowledge. In the case of General Madine, George just shrugged and said "Ok". Now, in Chewie's case, he actually asked R.A. Salvatore to do it when the idea was passed to him for review.

Actually, no. C-Canon is different than G-Canon, and as far as Lucas is concerned, nothing after RotJ takes place. He reserves the right to retcon the entire ExU after Return of the Jedi IF he indeed decides to make more movies later.

About the only things in the ExU that George must be consulted on are the deaths of movie characters. Crix Madine and Chewbacca are the only two so far, to the best of my knowledge. In the case of General Madine, George just shrugged and said "Ok". Now, in Chewie's case, he actually asked R.A. Salvatore to do it when the idea was passed to him for review.

As far as Lucas is concerned the EU is a separate universe. It doesn't just have to do with post ROTJ.

Which is ironic since the name "Coruscant" for the galactic capital planet originated in the Expanded Universe. :D

Not to mention the fact that he hired Leland Chee to make sure EU continuity meshes well with the movies. I don't pretend to understand Lucas. Lol

Not to mention the fact that he hired Leland Chee to make sure EU continuity meshes well with the movies. I don't pretend to understand Lucas. Lol

And of course he had to give Maul an Exar Kun inspired Double Bladed lightsaber. xD

To put this as politely as possible, George Lucas is extremely eccentric. He is a genius without a doubt, but he's also a bit... inconsistent in his writing, and has pulled several writing "Mulligans" on his own material. He's quite possibly the only author I've seen who has retconned HIMSELF. Episode IV re-release, where Greedo shoots first...

And before anyone goes off on Highlander II, that story was not written by Greg Widen, and was actually explained away along with Final Dimension as dreams Connor had while in the Sanctuary where he was in Endgame. :p

Edited by Captain_Zone

Every franchise handles canon differently (Star Trek, for example, doesn't count its books or video games as canon), but last I checked, the entire EU was considered in canon in Star Wars. That may have changed (I haven't been paying much attention to the back-room politics of SW), but at one point I know it was.

Changes wouldn't be unprecidented, of course, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was changed.

Edited by FigeroMentel