SWTOR: A single player game with 3 maps

ratempa

There is nothing about this game that says I need to pay $15 a month in addition to what I already paid by purchasing the game. The story lines are good, but it's designed with a single player in mind. Essentially it's a single player game with 3 multiplayer maps.

I realize it's a great design to make the leveling process/story line soloable. However it seems to go out of its way to make teaming up with other players hard or just unnecessary. By this I mean there is no dungeon queueing for groups! There are no incentives to group up. Another problem for grouping is that there are too many servers. Yes I realize that this cuts down on waiting to log into the game, but my server is deserted! There is absolutely nobody on Ilum and maybe a handful of people per planet. So that makes it tough to do heroics or any of the flashpoints. The companions are great, but with them, there's no need to group. Therefor it's an enjoyable single player game.

I want to like warzones, I really do. But it's just three maps with only a handful of people. Imagine playing Call of Duty on only three maps, but you're paying Activision $15 a month to play it. It's unacceptable and it's not okay to put up with. I know there's Ilum, but the fact that servers are unbalanced and can't handle more than a handful of people. It's just not what I expected out of PVP. I remember having a much funner experience in zone pvp in Vanilla WoW, and the areas were not even designed for PVP! But it was the game design that allowed for pvp battles to spring up among players in unexpected areas!

I know why they designed warzones with only 16 players per match... because they don't know how to make anything bigger. I'm sure they tried but it brought out glarring issues with their game mechanics and classes, so they cut the player cap at 16 and decided it was good enough. This is speculation on my part.

To end my thoughts, I did enjoy the story line. This game will definitely change how future MMO's do stories via voice acting, but that's it. It's a good single player game, not great. By comparison Skyrim's world feels light years ahead of what we're offered by BioWare. And i'm not paying extra money to play Skyrim. So no, i'm not going to pay more money to play 3 maps and a mediocre single player experience.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing about this game that says I need to pay $15 a month in addition to what I already paid by purchasing the game. The story lines are good, but it's designed with a single player in mind. Essentially it's a single player game with 3 multiplayer maps.

I realize it's a great design to make the leveling process/story line soloable. However it seems to go out of its way to make teaming up with other players hard or just unnecessary. By this I mean there is no dungeon queueing for groups! There are no incentives to group up. Another problem for grouping is that there are too many servers. Yes I realize that this cuts down on waiting to log into the game, but my server is deserted! There is absolutely nobody on Ilum and maybe a handful of people per planet. So that makes it tough to do heroics or any of the flashpoints. The companions are great, but with them, there's no need to group. Therefor it's an enjoyable single player game.

I want to like warzones, I really do. But it's just three maps with only a handful of people. Imagine playing Call of Duty on only three maps, but you're paying Activision $15 a month to play it. It's unacceptable and it's not okay to put up with. I know there's Ilum, but the fact that servers are unbalanced and can't handle more than a handful of people. It's just not what I expected out of PVP. I remember having a much funner experience in zone pvp in Vanilla WoW, and the areas were not even designed for PVP! But it was the game design that allowed for pvp battles to spring up among players in unexpected areas!

I know why they designed warzones with only 16 players per match... because they don't know how to make anything bigger. I'm sure they tried but it brought out glarring issues with their game mechanics and classes, so they cut the player cap at 16 and decided it was good enough. This is speculation on my part.

To end my thoughts, I did enjoy the story line. This game will definitely change how future MMO's do stories via voice acting, but that's it. It's a good single player game, not great. By comparison Skyrim's world feels light years ahead of what we're offered by BioWare. And i'm not paying extra money to play Skyrim. So no, i'm not going to pay more money to play 3 maps and a mediocre single player experience.

First off, virtually every MMO released since WoW can be played "solo" until you reach end game. To say that that is a flaw in SWTOR is to either be ignorant or to hate MMOs altogether. Second of all, there IS a grouping function. Sure it could use some work, but it does exist. Finally, you're paying for quite a bit more than warzones. If you go out and buy a game that only incidentally deals with pvp and then you complain about the lack of pvp, well, that would be a YOU problem.

What makes your post even worse is your comparison to WoW. In Vanilla WoW for almost a year there were zero BGs. Even at the and of vanilla there were only three. And since you're whining about not being able to immediately summon 3 NPCs from other servers to clear FPs for you I can only assume that you are referring to the dumpster fire LFD tool from WoW.

Adios man. Although I doubt you will be missed.

exactly my thoughts, game is not worth paying a monthly fee

Huttball removed or option to skip it would make me so happy. I freaking hate that "warzone"!

Harder NPC would also make the game more fun. The best are the Elites that make you fight a little longer then 2 sec... it's so boring runing around being superman.

It makes me feel so stupid like I need help to kill... fighting same lvl mobs it's super easy then you ding one lvl and you can just stand there and take no dmg and just press down one attack and they die... how fun is that?

The mobs also need better agro range. They just stand there... I can go away and eat having my character 5m away a group of mobs... hello?

We are not 3 years old, no need to make everything so simple!

Up to you , it's not Star Wars but Mob Wars rofl ! Pvp is simply an epic fail lol !:mad:

Harder NPC would also make the game more fun. The best are the Elites that make you fight a little longer then 2 sec... it's so boring runing around being superman.

I completely agree, it's no fun having quests being red/hc and you still can solo them. That results in less people grouping up for questing etc and people also tends to get bored when there's no challenge.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this is a bad game (best game of 2011) or that the various systems in this game is on an non adequate lvl. I'm just saying that the difficulty lvl of the NPC's needs to be checked up.

Also, cheers for making a great game! :)

edit: @Arkimor: Saying that this game will fall is just a bad way of saying that you dislike it.

Edited by Fairshihtzu

So no, i'm not going to pay more money to play 3 maps and a mediocre single player experience.

Well, that's your opinion. It would have been nice if you could offer more evidence as to why it's a single player game simply because you picked an unfortunately quiet server.

No one can make you sub or tell you are wrong for unsubbing but presenting opinion as fact is laughable.

Do you also walk in to a Starbucks and say I don't drink coffee but here is what i don't like about yours?:rolleyes:

That's a sig right there :)

Not sure if the OP knows this yet but a LFG tool is being worked on atm and will be live soon. Not sure if that makes you want to stay or not and frankly am not too bothered but thought i'd mention it in case someone else finds it something to look forward to.

Another person that has SEEN THE LIGHT! Welcome bro, glad you made it out of the Matrix. It is a shame, however, that the forum Biobrigade will come sweeping in and try to lock this ASAP. What they don't realize is that by doing so they simply cause consumers to spread their opinions OUTSIDE of these walls making it far, far worse.

So hey Biodrones, lock this thread! Go ahead! Can't shut the world up to how crap your game is. Its already spreading.

Edited by Proto

How fast?

According to some like you it should already have died a week ago. So what's the new prediction? Two months? Three? Six? A year? Do we just add another month when the last one goes by without TOR failing?

Well

They sold 2.1 million boxes.

Only announced 1 million subs ( as far as I know )

You need a sub to play past the early game access and the grace period.

Taken at face value that could mean a million people didn't re-sub at the end of early access, or, they lost half their customers in two weeks.

Well

They sold 2.1 million boxes.

Only announced 1 million subs ( as far as I know )

You need a sub to play past the early game access and the grace period.

Taken at face value that could mean a million people didn't re-sub at the end of early access, or, they lost half their customers in two weeks.

So if thats correct then those are very healthy numbers to build on, half a million was profitable, double that is good news, I'd say.

Yup; this game is going down, and going down fast; with no one to blame but Bioware.

They should've stuck with what they knew; a Kotor 3 would've been such a better investment of time and money, instead of pouring a bunch of money into a pile, lighting it on fire, and destroying your companies reputation.

You're in the wrong place then.

I can't wait until all the players with your negative opinions and unconstructive critisism actually leave this game and let those of us who are enjoying all that it has to offer continue to do so without you...

Please just unsub already.

It's funny that what this thread complains about is what makes me love this game. Once you start regularly grouping with others, the immersion is gone. Suddenly everything becomes game mechanics and such.

I do wish that there was a better way to find groups to knock out the HEROIC quests. Maybe some of the quests could be give as, "I'm putting together a group and I'll signal you when the others are ready" to build the group finding into the quest...? I dont know the technical constraints of servers, but maybe the GROUP/HEROIC quests could be hosted on separate servers, so the quest could put you together with players from other servers, to avoid the "there aren't enough people to find groups" problem.

I don't know who these guys are who are soloing GROUP and HEROIC quests, unless they're grey quests, but then Jedi Knights, like me, are not the most powerful players in the game. I am shocked at the talk of single shot kills and 2 second combats. I guess if that were my experience I wouldn't be even thinking of grouping.

So if thats correct then those are very healthy numbers to build on, half a million was profitable, double that is good news, I'd say.
If they can keep a million for a year that would be great for them. But if they lost half their potential customers before they even began the 30 day trail period that doesn't bode well.

BW gets $30 a box at most, at 2.1m units that's $60m. They've also stated they spent around $200m on the game, EA-Louse ( disgruntled insider ) claimed they spent 300m.

$30 a box is high and $200m could be low, but we'll use those numbers, and that leaves BW $140m in the hole.

Industry guesstimates I've read put the magic break even number at 300k - 500k subs. That's what it takes to maintain servers, bandwidth, CS and billing. This is after Lucas takes their share which from my understanding is 1/3 of the revenue from subs.

Well say they break even at 300k. And lets say they maintain 500k subs over the long run. 200k subs goes to profit and after LA takes it's third that gives BW $2m a month profit. At that rate it will take them 70 months to pay off the initial investment. Almost 6 years.

Edited by ObiQuixote

Yup; this game is going down, and going down fast; with no one to blame but Bioware.

They should've stuck with what they knew; a Kotor 3 would've been such a better investment of time and money, instead of pouring a bunch of money into a pile, lighting it on fire, and destroying your companies reputation.

You're in the wrong place then.

Is going down??? 5 full, 9 very heavy, 40 heavy servers ...4pm european servers today.

BW gets $30 a box at most, at 2.1m units that's $60m. They've also stated they spent around $200m on the game, EA-Louse ( disgruntled insider ) claimed they spent 300m.

No they didn't, and EA-louse was found as a fraud within days of the post. Bioware has not released any numbers on their budget.

"Why would anyone give a crap about it if you're not playing*?"

I agree with your point for the guy as an individual, but if we start getting thousands* going (even if they dont post) its the start of the death of SWTOR.

remember a thousand out of a million is only 1% and no game has an 100% retention rate and if i rememer right the best retention rate is like 70% after the first month after perchuse. We know there were over 1 mill in perorders and I have yet to see signs of massive drop offs in the number of players. You also don't get called the fastest growing mmo if you don't have strong after launch sales so I'm willing to bet that the number joining is > the number leaveing.

remember a thousand out of a million is only 1% and no game has an 100% retention rate and if i rememer right the best retention rate is like 70% after the first month after perchuse. We know there were over 1 mill in perorders and I have yet to see signs of massive drop offs in the number of players. You also don't get called the fastest growing mmo if you don't have strong after launch sales so I'm willing to bet that the number joining is > the number leaveing.

star wars the old republic sold, I think, 2.5M in its first week. So out of that number a thousand is less then half a percent.

I doubt biowares worried.

star wars the old republic sold, I think, 2.5M in its first week. So out of that number a thousand is less then half a percent.

I doubt biowares worried.

yes but I was giving the doom and gloomer trolls the benifit of the doubt that there were only a million subscribers which i highly doubt.