Can you give us an update on Dual Spec please.

Ditolus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post
Hey - thanks for asking about this in a constructive way. We don't have any new information on when this might get implemented right now, but the devs definitely know players are interested in this feature, and we'll keep asking for more info (and will let you know as soon as we have an update)!

Am I the only one who doesn't get the point of a dual spec? What's the point of speccing at all if you can switch at any time? Also I'm not sure this is practical given current gear setups, as healers vs dps or tank vs dps usually require completely different specs. Not to mention for classes that are all DPS, such as marauders and snipers, dual speccing would be unfair to them.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the point of a dual spec? What's the point of speccing at all if you can switch at any time? Also I'm not sure this is practical given current gear setups, as healers vs dps or tank vs dps usually require completely different specs. Not to mention for classes that are all DPS, such as marauders and snipers, dual speccing would be unfair to them.

Well first of all, it's just two specs and I think the idea would be that you'd be swapping out equipped gear on the fly as well. I used to feel somewhat as you do but after playing City of Heroes (which lets you have more than two specs) I think it's a smart idea.

The major win is that it's easier to bounce between group and solo-oriented builds, encouraging more tanks and healers, and making it easier to form groups on the fly. We already have to play through the same story line twice just to experience both ACs. Why force 6 play-throughs to be able to quickly swap between every ability tree?

No, you're not. Dual-spec is the single most useless feature nerds ask about here.

I think you might be. Obviously, if you wanted to change your spec, then you should have the appropriate gear to go along with it. I'll quote myself from another post regarding this issue and hopefully you can understand the idea behind duel spec a little better. "Let's say that you were a PvE tank, more specifically a Juggernaut. Every single day, you like to tank your daily HM, and then respec for DPS to do PvP for the rest of the day. Having to do this every single day would certainly get annoying. Having the option of having a second pane to just click on over to change specs would be greatly beneficial." Now the way that it should work is when you click your build tree, there should be another pane with a completely different build. Using the above example, one tank and one dps. You should be able to freely choose which one you want with just a simple click rather than filling out your tree every single time. Also, to your above point about gear, there should be a button to click on your character sheet where you can set up your second set of gear once and save it. Once done, you should be able to click a button to swap everything over all at once. Two clicks, and you go from a Tank to a DPS with your appropriate gear.

Hey - thanks for asking about this in a constructive way. We don't have any new information on when this might get implemented right now, but the devs definitely know players are interested in this feature, and we'll keep asking for more info (and will let you know as soon as we have an update)!

Thank you Allison.

Some classes can be tank or dps, and the player would like to change depending on what they are doing in game. Same for some can be healers or dps.

It's a fair question and a reasonable feature. Though keep in mind it took the great WoWzer years to get around to adding this, after then redid talent design multiple times. So, while sooner rather then later would make some happy, patience is stil warranted IMO.

If Bioware won't comment on roughly when (similar to they have done with their list of things coming soon), then I read that to be it's on their list, but not high enough on the long list of things to do to make the cut to commit to a time frame yet. Hence, patience.

Edited by Andryah

They actually declared they were planning on adding it after the launch back when the game was still in beta so I think people have good reason to be getting a bit impatient. I used to be wary of the idea but I think that was just primarily-non-mmo-gamer bias. Now, IMO, it's nothing but win. Makes it easier to learn the game better. Easier to group. Easier to build tanks and healers without agonizing solo performance. I think it's wise to keep the ACs split so people can't do it all with only 4 playthroughs per faction but switching between builds/gear-sets within one AC only adds to the game's appeal IMO. Edited by Pherdnut

Some classes can be tank or dps, and the player would like to change depending on what they are doing in game. Same for some can be healers or dps.

It's a fair question and a reasonable feature. Though keep in mind it took the great WoWzer years to get around to adding this, after then redid talent design multiple times. So, while sooner rather then later would make some happy, patience is warranted IMO.

Hmmm....you like something players are asking for?! Something I too support? Sell your account or something?! ;)

Just to add...the players that are able to fill multiple PvE roles (DPS/Healing for example) are an ASSET to the community! They're the ones punished by the current system. They're punished for offering to swap specs to fill a role that is NEEDED. To me, that's 100% unfair. These are the guys who offer the MOST to this game by doing what others wont. They fill that "LF Healer then ready" role so that you can run your Ops...and I bet few of you even realize how willing these guys are to swap right now to help YOU! They're usually the guys with full Campaign gear because they're so anxious to help others...they do it because they're selfless and valuable players...something I wish we had a million more of.

Also, it's not just PvEers. For Commando, Assault is my preferred PvP build for the mobility and for PvE, Gunnery would be my pick. I do both daily, but I simply can't afford to respec depending on what I'm doing.

I sincerely hope Bioware is working on this...

Translation - Be happy we gave you a response because there is no action planned around this.