Guild Heraldry Available on PTS

EricMusco

Sorry, time for the usual Ula moaning post...

Will there be more icons to pick from? From the entire Star Wars universe of symbols and logos and there are only 23, most of which are "not so good", come on, a crystal and two droid heads (not even HK). You have more suitable symbols than that in the forum smilies popup! Here's some inspiration:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:WookieeProject_Images/Gallery_of_insignia,_logos,_and_symbols

The only one I thought really use was the Imperial symbol but then the heraldry is displayed on the guild info panel directly below the large Imperial faction symbol :o That also limits the color choice to tie in with the faction symbol colors or to look like a big clash.

How did whoever designed that not realise how much OCD they would trigger with how the bottom of the heraldry does not line up with the bottom of the panel guild info panel! If you have recruitment off then the heraldry hangs off the bottom and if you have recruitment enabled so the panel is taller then there is a big gap. Would definitely suggest stretching the panel to line up with the bottom and vertically centering the logo when that happens.

Honestly, it looks very "bolted on" which is a shame as it's clear a lot of work went into it. Can you add an option to turn it off? I don't want my guild to be forced to use it in it's current form.

Sorry, I was looking forward to seeing heraldry. I suppose it boils down to:

• Need option to turn it off for entire guild
  • Need a lot more symbols
  • Need a lot more background patterns
  • Remove it from the main guild panel side, it looks terribly bolted on as an after thought
  • Stretch the height of it on the guild info panel so the bottom lines up with the bottom of the panel in both it's small and expanded forms

I doubt I'm the only one that wishes you spent the time fixing the problems with the guild interface. 7 years and we still can't right click /w guild members with accented letters, custom chat channel permissions broken for over 5 years, conquest leaders lists not working since being implemented, conquest leader lists only showing "by character" instead of "by legacy", roster row group select bug still present since the new panel was added, guild log sorting dates alphabetically, having no "Remove from guild" confirmation, can't group set member notes as you can rank, horrible text resizing and saving mechanism for new guild details text boxes, guild ships and strongholds still vanishing etc etc etc. These are things that actually affect guild management.

For those not burning 40+ GB on PTS download:

http://dulfy.net/2019/03/22/swtor-guild-heraldry-and-preview-window-preview/

Edited by UlaVii

[quote=UlaVii;9713968

For those not burning 40+ GB on PTS download:

http://dulfy.net/2019/03/22/swtor-guild-heraldry-and-preview-window-preview/

If those are the only ones we have to chose from, I am really not a fan and paying the cost for it we will not do it. Paying 1m (at least that what the price seem to be in the video) for symbols that we will particularly not like would be stupid.

Thanks for the link as I am not wasting my time to go on PTS for this.

Sorry, time for the usual Ula moaning post...

Honestly, it looks very "bolted on" which is a shame as it's clear a lot of work went into it. Can you add an option to turn it off? I don't want my guild to be forced to use it in it's current form.

I doubt I'm the only one that wishes you spent the time fixing the problems with the guild interface. 7 years and we still can't right click /w guild members with accented letters, custom chat channel permissions broken for over 5 years, conquest leaders lists not working since being implemented, conquest leader lists only showing "by character" instead of "by legacy", roster row group select bug still present since the new panel was added, guild log sorting dates alphabetically, having no "Remove from guild" confirmation, can't group set member notes as you can rank, horrible text resizing and saving mechanism for new guild details text boxes, guild ships and strongholds still vanishing etc etc etc. These are things that actually affect guild management.

Pretty much this. Heraldry needs a lot more work before it really adds anything to guilds. At the moment it looks like a 3rd party add-on and please, please fix some of these most pressing bugs.

Here's just a quick look. I'll check it out in more detail later this weekend.

There are far too few symbols... of both kinds. Which brings me to my next issue.

Background graphics and central icons are both called "symbols" in the menus. This is confusing.

As for additional symbols, these should be icons that give clues about the guild's goals and personality, not just random graphics. Please add:

• Class icons.
  • Symbols for each planet.
  • Faction symbols.
  • Variety of weapons -- sabers, saberstaff, pikes, blasters, cannons, bowcasters, artillery, thermal detonator, flamethrower, blades, etc.
  • Class ships, famous ships, and ship silhouettes.
  • Fierce Star Wars creatures -- Rancor, sarlacc, acklay, nexu, gundark, kell dragon, wampa, krayt dragon, akk dog, terentatek, etc.
  • Variety of helmets -- Mandalorian, dark honor guard, bounty hunter hat, smuggler hat, Knight of Zakuul, Sith/Jedi hood, reveler's hat, etc.
  • Racial heads -- droids, all playable races, devaronian, gand, talz, kubaz, trandoshan, gamorrean, etc.
  • Roleplay symbols -- drama mask, book, dice or d12, holocom, holodancer.
  • Combat symbols -- creature skulls, claw marks, crossed weapons, fist, cyborg fist, rocket pack.
  • Atronomical symbols -- sun, moon, star, comet, spiral, black hole.
  • Crafting symbols -- tools, crossed hammer and wrench, gonk, GTN kiosk, sandcrawler.
  • Star Wars devices -- datapad, speeder, carbonite frozen bounty, energy cage, stun cuffs, breathing mask, holocron, datacron, medscanner.

Why are the background graphics displayed vertically in some preview areas and horizontally in others, yet vertically in the selection area? Make them horizontal in the selection area so that I know what it will look like when it's turned, as some of the backgrounds are not symmetrical.

A million credits is too much to charge, especially with such a dynamic color chooser. If the color looks really bad to some people, or it doesn't come out the way the officers expect, make sure it doesn't cost anything to tweak it.

Edited by Xina_LA

This looks like a system with a lot of promise and flexibility. As a proof of concept, to show us what the heraldry system is capable of, this seems like a great demo.

However, for the update launch to be received joyfully by the community, I think a lot more symbols are needed. Iconic starships, droids, helmets, more weapons - anything from existing banners under the civic banner decoration category that's rectangular enough to fit in the symbol space - symbols of all major organizations in the game - symbols of planets - the entire aurabesh alphabet, etc. Then we'll be talking. :)

Of course, more "details" (backgrounds) would also be welcome. For instance, the art style characteristic of the Voss could give us some lovely backgrounds. But I think the artist(s) will find their time most profitably spent on giving the community the highest number of symbols they can reasonably pack into the update.

Edited by Estelindis

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Keep the feedback coming! A quick note, and a question.

Note: I know there are more icons that are in development for release. I don't have specifics on what icons, or the quantity, but there are more coming. I will work on getting more details here.

Question: Some of you have already raised some great suggestions of icons / banners, so please use this thread as an opportunity for those requests. Be specific. What icons are missing you want to see available for Heraldry? What banner designs? Please lean more on things that are in-game then things that are general to Star Wars (although give those too, but they can be trickier).

Thanks all!

-eric

Be specific. What icons are missing you want to see available for Heraldry? What banner designs? Please lean more on things that are in-game then things that are general to Star Wars (although give those too, but they can be trickier).

-eric

The best source of inspiration is probably the vast array of decorations that are already in the game. For instance, I'm sure more of the faction banners could be watermarked and converted for use in this system as the "Detail".

Speaking for my own guild, I'd love to see some Dread Master themed symbols and again the existing decorations could be used for this. Just off the top of my head... Holocron of Dread, the various dread master statues, Statue of the Oriconian Warrior, Statue of the Ancient Horror.

The same could be done with the Gree decorations and so on.

Then there are things such as the holo signs like Bith Musician. The Huttball logos from the Frogdogs and Rotworms banners. Gold-plated hutt.

Silhouettes of the various iconic creatures and enemies in the game. Location skyline silhouettes maybe or outlines of iconic buildings in the game. The Sith/ Jedi academies, Coruscant, etc.

I feel silly asking this, but I can't find any information through searches. Is the heraldry dialog window open only to guild masters?

I am a lieutenant in my guild, none of my guild info transferred to the PTS server, the game doesn't even show I am in a guild, so I cant even access the guild window.

Be specific. What icons are missing you want to see available for Heraldry?

Sure thing! Here are some icons already in the game in various ways, which I think would be good to add.

Additionally, there are lots of objects / phenomena which would look great as icons, including:

• Book
  • Holocron (cube)
  • Holocron (pyramid)
  • Armored gauntlet
  • Arcane-looking amulet
  • Ancient sith crown
  • Helmets of various styles (Imperial guard, trooper, different mando styles, etc.)
  • Skull
  • Ancient tower
  • Lightning
  • Fire
  • Tree
  • Flower
  • Footprint
  • Parallel torn claw marks

Edited by Estelindis

I feel silly asking this, but I can't find any information through searches. Is the heraldry dialog window open only to guild masters?

I am a lieutenant in my guild, none of my guild info transferred to the PTS server, the game doesn't even show I am in a guild, so I cant even access the guild window.

The GM can choose which ranks can use it.

Guilds don't transfer.

Custom icons would solve all problems. Why isn't there an option to upload a custom one? We don't need a bunch of generic icons.

This would be an ideal solution. Tera provides this functionality in a game engine of a similar vintage and as long as they don't decide to add the guild icon/heraldry to everyone's characters as Tera does, there shouldn't be performance implications. Tera is very prescriptive about the image too. It must be a BMP of a precise size which approximates to 12KB. Assuming generously that 20,000 guilds per server make use of this (unlikely) then that's 250MB storage space on the server maximum. Expanding the "report" functionality would also take care of any concerns regarding inappropriate images.

I'm assuming there were technical reasons they didn't take this approach.

I just noticed another bunch of images already in the game that would be flavorful and hopefully quick to convert to the appropriate format: category icons in collections. In fact, a few of these already seem to exist in heraldry in some version (like the droid head with credit eyes - the bounty broker logo?). See here for examples: https://imgur.com/a/O0WHFlg

The GM can choose which ranks can use it.

Guilds don't transfer.

Having the GM be able to assign who has access is important, but if guild info doesn't transfer I'm guessing I will not be able to try this out on the PTS

Having the GM be able to assign who has access is important, but if guild info doesn't transfer I'm guessing I will not be able to try this out on the PTS

If you have an imp alt I can invite you to my guild. I have it set so everyone can use it.

Suggestion: If you want a lot of people to test the guild feature, you're going to have to create a way to add a guild without joining a group with a bunch of other PTS players. When you copy a character to PTS, the guild doesn't go with them, even if they're the guild leader.

Suggestion: If you want a lot of people to test the guild feature, you're going to have to create a way to add a guild without joining a group with a bunch of other PTS players. When you copy a character to PTS, the guild doesn't go with them, even if they're the guild leader.

Agreed. PTS Guild vendor. Creates a new guild for a single person and assigns that person as guild leader.

Also, not knowing exactly how or if any dev who's coding the guild heraldry will ever see my post on the general forum soon enough to make a difference, I'm re-posting it below.

That painful fashion faux pax where you show up at a must-be-seen-or-be-nobody party and there you are wearing the same designer dress, necklace, and walking around with the same gold-and-black clutch purse as your life-long sworn nemesis whom the host somehow blindly decided to invite? Horrid, right? Might as well be dragging around the same spouse through the party at that point, right?

Well, in Everquest 2, at least back in the day when I was a guild leader there, you could not make heraldry identical to any other guild.

I would put forward as my idea, then, to implement the same thing here, so we don't have any super-bad super-uber PVP guild walking around with the exact same heraldry as the server's most notorious ERP guild.

Doing so, of course, means opening a far wider range of choices to select colors, patterns, back ground patterns, etc., etc..

Edited by xordevoreaux

Blue milk

Bathing in Bantha blood.

combinable Letters and numbers in Varying fonts. ( so "101st" or "Crazy '88" "59th street urchins" "Loot 66" or one's guild name in differing fonts for example )

Chemical apparatus like syringes, tablets or test-tubes

Guns, pistols rifles, lightsabres, rockets, flares

various STAR WARS Races and animals , Jawa, Sandpeople, Dewback, Rancor, Bantha, Kel-dor.Rakghouls.

Mystical symbols

Emoji-like icons

Space-ships

Planets in varying colours and types.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Custom icons would solve all problems. Why isn't there an option to upload a custom one? We don't need a bunch of generic icons.

Because BW does what only BW wants. You / we are lucky that you have more than 5 to choose from.

Because BW does what only BW wants. You / we are lucky that you have more than 5 to choose from.

The only way to control content in a game licensed from a third party (Disney), is to not include uploads.

What would Disney say if one if its reps just happened to see Youtube footage of:

1) a competitor's content uploaded (Matrix computer symbols, i.e., from competitor Warner Brothers)

2) sexualized icons (and you know what I'm talking about)

3) anything from the FBI's list of hate group symbols

or:

How EA would fumble the resulting furor if a pro-Christian guild uploads a crucifix symbol and an agnostic (or other) symbol is denied.

...list goes on.

Uploads would be inviting a policing nightmare

Edited by xordevoreaux

Of course tjhey would have to be done within reason. Same as they don't let you have some names, there would be some restrictions on what you can have. And other people could report really weird stuff or better yet BW could approve them themselves.

Don't even get me started on "competioton"....people can run with all sorts of names in game from other companies...match look pretty close to that of certain character....what would Disney rep say on that,huh? From what I've seen on Youtube there is too little icons there. And as always they keep everything hush hush like it's something ground breaking,when infact it's not...they could've said something about this months ago and then community could pitch in and throw ideas. But no we are last ones to know about this and then as always get something minimal done and never touched again,since they move onto new stuff.

They should NEVER allow custom icons. EVER! It wouldn't take 1-minute of being live before someone would abuse the system and create inappropriate images.

They should NEVER allow custom icons. EVER! It wouldn't take 1-minute of being live before someone would abuse the system and create inappropriate images.

Wow really? It's good you have 0 faith in the community. People are decent and they could approve every icon before it is uploaded, there are lots of ways to do this properly. Stop being a snowflake ..