Display Name Change

FNRPRay

For **** sakes guys... latest post i have seen about this is back in 2012... is it really that *********** hard to add an option to change your display name? This should be the perfect chance for you guys to earn some cash! make it pay to change I DON'T CARE!! Just add an option to change your god damn DISPLAY NAME

Just look at mine jesus, i used an old clan name i was with like 3 years ago ffs.. :mad:

For **** sakes guys... latest post i have seen about this is back in 2012... is it really that *********** hard to add an option to change your display name? This should be the perfect chance for you guys to earn some cash! make it pay to change I DON'T CARE!! Just add an option to change your gosh darn DISPLAY NAME

Just look at mine jesus, i used an old clan name i was with like 3 years ago ffs.. :mad:

If you're hyperventilating this much about being unable to change your handle in a gaming forum, Lord knows I hope never to encounter you on the road in heavy traffic, I'd be picking bullets out of the car door for days.

If you're hyperventilating this much about being unable to change your handle in a gaming forum, Lord knows I hope never to encounter you on the road in heavy traffic, I'd be picking bullets out of the car door for days.
I suppose people get like that when they wait 3 years for somthing that is so simple.

I don't know, it might mess up your account information since it's directly tied to your ingame information. Just a theory thought.

You could try contacting support on forum and just ask for a name change. On normal forums with no games or payment info attached it's usually easily doable via admin CP. Doesn't hurt to ask.

• 4 weeks later...

I contacted them today complaining that I couldn't change my display name. They told me even their system can't change it and it's permanent. There is nothing they can do.

I then asked if I created a new account so I could change it and just transfer my information over to it. They said no, nothing can be done and no data can be transferred.

So, I either live with a name I don't want, or close my account with over 4 years of history and lose everything. Being a paid subscriber means absolutely nothing to them.

Not to mention... I also went directly to EA and spoke with them... They said sorry, there is nothing they can do because it has to be handled through SWTOR. So, NO ONE is willing to help.:mad:

• 7 months later...

Yeah, I was looking into this too. Not a fan that I'd used my real name back when the game dropped. Not sure why, I think because it was tied to Origin? Didn't realize it'd be my forum display name? Either way, I'd really like to change it so it's unfortunate.

Definitely stops me from being as active as I could be.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was looking into this too. Not a fan that I'd used my real name back when the game dropped. Not sure why, I think because it was tied to Origin? Didn't realize it'd be my forum display name? Either way, I'd really like to change it so it's unfortunate.

Definitely stops me from being as active as I could be.

The key point is that it is *not* a display name. It's not even *called* a display name.(1) It's an account name, and it is your actual account name that you use to log in wherever.

(1) The same thing in GW2 *is* called a display name, except that it's not a display name (i.e. purely cosmetic) either. There are repeated requests from people who want to change theirs, and the answer is always the same: if they change it, it will probably break the player's account in interesting(2) ways, for example making the account unable to buy and/or sell things on the equivalent of the GTN or join guilds or leave guilds or use chat or ... or any combination of those things. Oh, and it will be impossible to repair. So if you called yourself something stupid that you regret, for example "Steve The Cynic"(3), you're stuck with it. If you used your real name(4), they might accommodate you, maybe. If you called yourself something deeply offensive or otherwise against the naming rules, they'll change it and to hell with what happens to your account.

(2) In the sense in which "may you live in interesting times" is a curse.

(3) I don't regret using that name.

(4) My real-life name actually *is* Steve, although my surname is not "The Cynic".

This topic really does go way back and as Steve already pointed out people do not realize the magnitude of things this does influence. When you create an account on the swtor website you automatically get an account on EA website and Origin. There are different things. There are also issues when you are banned, customer service has to always go through all your accounts, not just the one at swtor to fix your ban, etc.

However, I it is possible and I do know of one case. One player was able to push through all these restrictions and he managed it on the basis of claiming he is being bullied. After explaining the situation they did really change his account name so that the "bullies" would not know its him.

There are always ways how to get things done if you know how to act in front of CS and also its about luck if you get a competent person at CS.

However, I it is possible and I do know of one case. One player was able to push through all these restrictions and he managed it on the basis of claiming he is being bullied. After explaining the situation they did really change his account name so that the "bullies" would not know its him.

Well there's our answer - hire a bully!

Yes changing your account name should be simple but thankfully it is not.

This is done for security.

1.) You want to hack an account. So you create account B and call BW and get them to transfer the info from account A into account B. You now own account A even if it was not yours.

This is why they will NOT transfer data from one account to another.

2.) You log in to find your account has been hacked. You call BW to report this, the first thing they will ask you is "What is your Account Name" you tell them it's BlaBlaBla. BW looks and can not find BlaBlaBla, why because the hacker changed the account name to MeMeMe.

That is why you can NEVER change your account name.

It would seem that BW does indeed have your account security and you in mind after all. There are very good reasons why you can not change an account name or transfer info from one account to another and it has nothing to do with whether or not BW likes you or that you are a subscriber.

This is done for security.

Also there is one more point, account selling. If you would be able to change your display name, you would could be selling accounts with everything.

When you sell an account you change the email, change name of toons, swap servers etc. The only thing you cannot change is your display name. So if you buy an account with a silly name, you will have to keep it. So by removing this restriction I suppose account sale would increase since you would be able to 100% adapt the account to you after buying it.