Game has died, Nowhere to go

MadCuzBad

I think they have their hands tied at the moment when it comes to mergers. They'd need to work out strongholds/guildships/guilds/names etc etc. And whether the harbinger could withstand any big merger. And then take into acct if players returned. I've said many many times...us APAC founders know what the merger was like. Harbinger had a 45 min queue time. Fun times.

I think if a merger happened then people would flood the forums with complaints about names and guild stuff and having to redecorate strongholds. Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong but this community loves a good whinge.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are absolutely correct. Even I lost a couple of character names in the great mergers of the past. But I was able to deal with it. Unfortunately, BioWare is in a Catch 22 of their own making, again partly because of their inexperience with MMOs and partly because of their and EA's hubris in thinking that SWTOR would buck the MMO trend and be the WoW-killer that the suits wanted it to be.

They waited far too long to initiate the first round of mergers, and that was something the game was never really able to recover from. They had no plan for the inevitable and we are still paying the price in terms of a woefully inefficient transfer system. They did the same thing to the APAC servers. There was obviously a problem, but BW kept hoping against hope that some miracle would happen so they could avoid the actual work of fixing said problem.

It seems to me that they are more apt to spend time looking for panaceas than to plan for and avoid the ills in the first place.

You are absolutely correct. Even I lost a couple of character names in the great mergers of the past. But I was able to deal with it. Unfortunately, BioWare is in a Catch 22 of their own making, again partly because of their inexperience with MMOs and partly because of their and EA's hubris in thinking that SWTOR would buck the MMO trend and be the WoW-killer that the suits wanted it to be.

They waited far too long to initiate the first round of mergers, and that was something the game was never really able to recover from. They had no plan for the inevitable and we are still paying the price in terms of a woefully inefficient transfer system. They did the same thing to the APAC servers. There was obviously a problem, but BW kept hoping against hope that some miracle would happen so they could avoid the actual work of fixing said problem.

It seems to me that they are more apt to spend time looking for panaceas than to plan for and avoid the ills in the first place.

To me the obvious solution, if the server architecture at present won't allow for actual server merges, is cross-server queuing. That would solve at least some of the problems involving dead servers, and they wouldn't have to worry about people getting upset over losing names/guilds/strongholds/etc. Sadly, I don't know if the bastardized beta Hero Engine EAWare cut corners by buying can handle that either.

Edited by AscendingSky

If this game would have been built with a server to server queue system, the entire first wave of server mergers could have been prevented. I know for me there was nothing more frustrating than to see the population drop on the servers I was on ONLY because of GF.

Heck my last server before coming here was POT5 and I would be there to this day if it had server to server queues. The ONLY reason I came to Harbinger years ago was due to slow queue pops.

That one issue has single handedly wrecked this game. I would have to say that not having server to server built into this game was and still is the biggest game breaker second to none. It has caused 80% of the ghost town servers issue since the game launched.

To me the obvious solution, if the server architecture at present won't allow for actual server merges, is cross-server queuing. That would solve at least some of the problems involving dead servers, and they wouldn't have to worry about people getting upset over losing names/guilds/strongholds/etc. Sadly, I don't know if the bastardized beta Hero Engine EAWare cut corners by buying can handle that either.

How long has it been since BioWare mentioned "better than cross-server?" Here we are still waiting to hear exactly what that is. Like I mentioned before, they look for panaceas and hope they find one without actually having to give an answer for why a particular feature is not in the game.

I am willing to bet that the reason we haven't had, and probably will never have, X-server is because they literally are unable to provide X-server due to the core design and architecture of the game. At the end of the day, the game can't even handle a hood toggle or chat bubbles.

I just don't foresee, at this point, X-server ever being implemented - again because of lack of foresight and planning on BioWare's part when they decided to make an MMO with no real experience in how to manage and maintain that MMO when it went out the door.

I think they have their hands tied at the moment when it comes to mergers. They'd need to work out strongholds/guildships/guilds/names etc etc. And whether the harbinger could withstand any big merger. And then take into acct if players returned. I've said many many times...us APAC founders know what the merger was like. Harbinger had a 45 min queue time. Fun times.

I think if a merger happened then people would flood the forums with complaints about names and guild stuff and having to redecorate strongholds. Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong but this community loves a good whinge.

In case they had any competence regarding their game and engine/etc. within the company left, at least about their retarded modified beta hero engine some nut case must have decided to buy instead of a full and supported version with updates/upgrades, they could simply copy/move stuff 1:1 including placed deco, just everything because it's just fu.. data at the end of the day. The same is true for the at least 12 months overdue X server queues, which lack of will be the last nail in the coffin for this game if not already too late now due to their unmatched ignorance and incompetence....

Edited by Khaleg

If this game would have been built with a server to server queue system, the entire first wave of server mergers could have been prevented. I know for me there was nothing more frustrating than to see the population drop on the servers I was on ONLY because of GF.

Heck my last server before coming here was POT5 and I would be there to this day if it had server to server queues. The ONLY reason I came to Harbinger years ago was due to slow queue pops.

That one issue has single handedly wrecked this game. I would have to say that not having server to server built into this game was and still is the biggest game breaker second to none. It has caused 80% of the ghost town servers issue since the game launched.

Totally agree, that is both, the first and the last nail into the coffin of this game.

I know we had some cheats on harby. If you go to regs it's popping quickly. At times instantaneous but the most I've had to wait...late late aussie time. 5/6am lax time is probably 3 or 4 mins.

Guess AU time is the best time now. I was stuck waiting for a regs pop for 15 min. last night. Midnight my time would have been 9pm on the Left Coast. In other words: What should have been prime time for Harbinger.

Oh and that pop? GSF (was queued for both).

It took so long I gave up running around and started to head towards CZ-198 to get 100 kills. If I didn't need 100 more points to make personal conquest I would have gone to bed.

I am willing to bet that the reason we haven't had, and probably will never have, X-server is because they literally are unable to provide X-server due to the core design and architecture of the game. At the end of the day, the game can't even handle a hood toggle or chat bubbles.

My guess is there is a fundamental flaw in their server side design to easily enable this. Clearly if it was easy, they would have done it by now.

We do know they did revise server side design late in 2012 to support larger server sizing (and hence fewer total servers, and frankly the small size of the original servers did look kind of absurd at the time). And I would bet that at that time, they also planned cross-server but hit one or more nasty technical hurdles in their approach, and might be why they went with a new approach with larger servers and fewer of them (the new servers when they released very much appeared to have 3-5 times the capacity of the original ones. They also "upsized" a number of the servers as late as fall of 2015 to support surge populations on some servers from 4.0 release.

I just don't foresee, at this point, X-server ever being implemented - again because of lack of foresight and planning on BioWare's part when they decided to make an MMO with no real experience in how to manage and maintain that MMO when it went out the door.

I agree. They backtracked on cross-server years ago. And later offered a cryptic "better then cross server" tease (which may have just been low cost transfers to be honest). The fact that multiple years have gone by and no more talk from the studio about it = not going to happen.

Edited by Andryah

Guess AU time is the best time now. I was stuck waiting for a regs pop for 15 min. last night. Midnight my time would have been 9pm on the Left Coast. In other words: What should have been prime time for Harbinger.

Oh and that pop? GSF (was queued for both).

It took so long I gave up running around and started to head towards CZ-198 to get 100 kills. If I didn't need 100 more points to make personal conquest I would have gone to bed.

I know. Scary isn't it? Been oh Harbinger for 3 years now and do not remember ever waiting 10 minutes for a reg pvp pop at prime time. Never.

I have played on Harbringer for 2 years now. I was forced to server transfer off of POT5 (PVP) server because it became a ghost town. 30 minute que times during peak time. After peak time (mornings and late evenings) no que pops at all.

At the time I had a choice. Goto a populated server with que pops and leave my current server. At the time and still is the most populated server TheHarbringer was really the best choice.

The past 3 to 4 weeks on Harbringer has been the longest que waits in the 2 years I have been playing here. And in the past month has been getting slower each week. I play everyday at the same times so I have my finger on the pulse of Harbringer and know it well.

TLDR: Harbringer is heading down the same road as POT5 and has an eroding population. Only difference is this time for me is that when Harbringer dies off (and it is rapidly heading that way) there is no "GO TO" server like there was in the past. Harbinger dies, where do people run to? As I see it, there is nowhere to run anymore. We have reached the end of the rope.

This is almost prophetic. Harbinger is currently going the way POT5 was. Even with a flood of new players moving to Harbinger to escape the other dead servers it continues to drop in population. Queue pops are slowly getting longer and longer. Friends lists are becoming less active.

Truly though and its a good question. If and or when Harbinger turns into POT5 where we will go? 90cc transfers will do what exactly? Move you to a worse server?

Where is the GOTO server when Harbinger goes flat lines? And make no mistake about it, it is heading there very quickly these days. Harbinger flat lines where will you go?

They should just make mega servers and be done with all this server transfering bs imo.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This should have been 1-2 years ago. The decision making in this game by the development team needs to be done by looking ahead, NOT in the rear view mirror.

All decisions as of the last few years are all made looking in the rear view mirror.

LOL . I just posted that im getting tired of hammering away at PVP to get the unassembled comps. they really need to put some in PVE ! and it's a shame because i love playing the game but it's getting boring just doing the same PVP OPS missions and starfighter matches over and over.. it's long and grueling making you say the heck with the gear and suffocating the life out of the game !

Subs dropped because for completly no reason, they decided that succesful system of releasing expansion in monthly chapters will be no more, and they will create a full expansion after a year of doing freaking nothing. I belive that they want to release expansion with the next movie and promote game with this huge boom-hype but still... year of sub dropping. I hope it will be worthy at the end.

Subs dropped because for completly no reason, they decided that succesful system of releasing expansion in monthly chapters will be no more, and they will create a full expansion after a year of doing freaking nothing. I belive that they want to release expansion with the next movie and promote game with this huge boom-hype but still... year of sub dropping. I hope it will be worthy at the end.

New movies released and yet the games population shrinks. You tell me.