Smedly teasing SWG vets with new game

The_Grand_Nagus

If you could relaunch a shutdown title which one would you pick and what would you do differently this time?

j_smedley: SWG. I would do everything differently. SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now.

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

Why would they make a game for a group of fans who by and large abandoned the original game in droves and left it to die a slow death?

I imagine the comment was mostly aimed at the small, hardcore group that stuck with the game to the very end.

I can't imagine it'll be another SW game seeing as EA has the exclusive rights, but maybe a sci-fi game in the same vein as Galaxies (sandbox MMO).

No, Disney can have anyone do an online SW game. That's why there's a online clone wars game, and the up coming attack squadron.

Doubtful to be a Star Wars game, but any game like that is gonna be good. This was posted quite a few times in the "Star Wars Discussion" forums last week, too.

They'll be better off without the big IP attached to it.

If it's their own unique IP they can create anything that they want without checking in with Disney first - and it won't need shutting down because they can't afford to hold onto one of the most expensive licenses in the world.

Edited by Callaron

I'd rather have SWG back as it was when it closed, but the Repopulation is shaping up nicely, and I am happy to have taken part in the crowd funding of it.

If SOE is coming up with something along the same lines, then I'll likely try it.

I'm a backer of the Repopulation as well. I'll be rolling FPS. Although not sure if i roll on the Hardcore server or not yet, still a little if'y on the ruleset for it, but if you see Kinzua Rainmaker in game say hi or kill me or say hi then kill me, don't hesitate cause if your OWNS i will try to kill you.

No, Disney can have anyone do an online SW game. That's why there's a online clone wars game, and the up coming attack squadron.

they could but I can't see them lisecening out a MMO. I suspect the terms of the agreement where more to allow disney to publish casual facebook and tablet games. which seems to be the direction Disney PERSONALLY perfers to go with video games. Disney's basicly not intreasted in persueing bit AAA video games. thats WHY they handed an exclusivity deal to EA. so EA could persue that "expected" angle of the franchise and leave them more or less out of having to deal with it

Well, if this article is right and these are the first Screenshots of the "SWG come-on home!" MMO... well, then, sorry sci-fi fans:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/02/02/soe-teases-picture-of-mystery-sandbox-mmo/

(I am making no claims that the final product won't still be an excellent sandbox game, it's way too early to tell, but the widespread hope that it will be a sci-fi sandbox game seems... unlikely now.)

Well, if this article is right and these are the first Screenshots of the "SWG come-on home!" MMO... well, then, sorry sci-fi fans:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/02/02/soe-teases-picture-of-mystery-sandbox-mmo/

(I am making no claims that the final product won't still be an excellent sandbox game, it's way too early to tell, but the widespread hope that it will be a sci-fi sandbox game seems... unlikely now.)

Is the new sandbox set in an Amish community?

Why would they make a game for a group of fans who by and large abandoned the original game in droves and left it to die a slow death?

Everyone left because once Jedi's were introduced, everyone thought they, and no one else deserved to be a Jedi. It was crying on a epic level that I've never seen before or since. But for the first 6 months, it was truly incredible. 30 classes, vast customization, and best crafting system I've seen in any game. Even after the first wave of defections we still had a vast and healthy community. Many people like myself didn't care about being a Jedi, so what we did was hunt them endlessly, and made them pay, because most people who did have Jedi's were the most pompous aholes you would come across in game, because they thought they were better than you because they had a Jedi. So it was great hunting them, killing them, and reading their endless hate tells that they would send you after the fact.

Edited by Odyseus

Everyone left because once Jedi's were introduced, everyone thought they, and no one else deserved to be a Jedi. It was crying on a epic level that I've never seen before or since. But for the first 6 months, it was truly incredible. 30 classes, vast customization, and best crafting system I've seen in any game. Even after the first wave of defections we still had a vast and healthy community. Many people like myself didn't care about being a Jedi, so what we did was hunt them endlessly, and made them pay, because most people who did have Jedi's were the most pompous aholes you would come across in game, because they thought they were better than you because they had a Jedi. So it was great hunting them, killing them, and reading their endless hate tells that they would send you after the fact.

So much jealousy in you. It's not healthy.