The Real Question Who do you want to Direct the new Star Wars?

jarjarloves

Ok so we know they are going with an original story here so the big question is who do you want to direct it?

My choices would be

Gore Verbrinski (Pirates of the Carribean) - seeing as the PIrates movies are essentially Star Wars movies as far as tone, pacing, and action go he would be perfect for recapturing the feel of the OT

Sam Rami (First 3 spiderman movies and the new Wizard of OZ movie) Simliar to Gore he can do a great job at making a light hearted and fun movie.

Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askban) He could make a really good dark Star Wars movie.

What are your top 3?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven Spielberg.

Just because everything the man touches, be it as a producer, writer or director, turns to gold!

The Crystal Skull would like to have a word with you

Give it to a younger director someone who is still hungry.

Edited by jarjarloves

Spielberg, like Lucas, has had his ups and downs. That being said I've been waiting for Spielberg to direct a Star Wars movie for a long time. Spielberg was Lucas' first choice to direct Return of the Jedi, but some bs screenwriters guild issue made that impossible. Lucas also approached Spielberg to direct Episode I, but Spielberg turned him down, believing that it was Lucas' baby and that he should have complete control. There's no reason why Spielberg should not direct Star Wars now. He and Lucas make an excellent team, most of the time.

Would go with either Kevin Smith, Peter Jackson, or Joss Whedon. All are passionate about Star Wars and could definitely capture the feel for the series.

I agree with Joss Whedon, Peter Jackson would be good from a purely fantastical look, but not from a story POV. I only say this because Jackson's best movies are all based off of literary novels. His other movies were ok, but not great. The LotR is by far his best movies, with King Kong coming in as second. The Hobbit movies promise to be great as well, but these are all movies based off of novels. He has a great eye for detail and making or imagining great movie sets, but that's it as far as I am concerned.

All that being said I agree with most that Spielberg would be a good director but I think James Cameron would be a better one. J.J. Abrams would make a good director as well as long as he doesn't let Orci and Kurtzman write. However, with as deep as Disney's pocket books are, almost anyone could make a great Star Wars movie. The real question isn't who would make a great director, but who would make a great writer. I'm sure Lucas hasn't written anything past Ep 7, if he in fact wrote it. As long as Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman don't write any of them they should be pretty decent movies. With the exception of Transformers 1, Legend of Zorro, and Cowboys and Aliens, I'm not impressed with their movie writing skills. They do fine for TV shows, but anything over an hour of continuous storyline and they have issues, IMO.

In a perfect world, at least for the first one, Spielberg hands down (to kick it off).

Maybe it gets handed off after Ep:7 or 8, but... noone could get the most people excited (and belay most peoples fears) better then him actually directing a star wars movie. It seems impossible to even think Spielberg could actually direct a SW movie, but tell me what happened yesterday a month ago and I would have laughed at you, so...

Fingers crossed for the dream :)

Spielberg, like Lucas, has had his ups and downs. That being said I've been waiting for Spielberg to direct a Star Wars movie for a long time. Spielberg was Lucas' first choice to direct Return of the Jedi, but some bs screenwriters guild issue made that impossible. Lucas also approached Spielberg to direct Episode I, but Spielberg turned him down, believing that it was Lucas' baby and that he should have complete control. There's no reason why Spielberg should not direct Star Wars now. He and Lucas make an excellent team, most of the time.

^ This.

Spielberg would never lead to a bad Star Wars film..

This is totally cliche, but I firmly believe JJ Abrams would be the best pick. He is a complete Star Wars nut and he has both the best track record and best creative touch for this type of movie. Just the fact that he made a Star Trek movie and I actually enjoyed it speaks volumes.

Christopher Nolan could not handle a true sci fi movie. All of his stuff is too grounded in reality, and Star Wars is about as far from that as you can get. I could get behind Spielberg directing but like already said, he's not as reliable as he used to be.

I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan and always have been (love love love Firefly), but he has a bit too "lighthearted" of a touch for me for Star Wars. Plus Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7 are both slated for 2015.

In a perfect world, at least for the first one, Spielberg hands down (to kick it off).

Maybe it gets handed off after Ep:7 or 8, but... noone could get the most people excited (and belay most peoples fears) better then him actually directing a star wars movie. It seems impossible to even think Spielberg could actually direct a SW movie, but tell me what happened yesterday a month ago and I would have laughed at you, so...

Fingers crossed for the dream :)

X2 please

If they insist on doing 3 more movies then it has to be either Christopher Nolan or someone with a similar style.

These 3 need to be gritty in order to be taken seriously..

Ooohhhh. I like.

I'm not sure how Nolan would handle Star Wars, but I do think he could take it in a very cool direction. I think he'd be perfect for directing a movie of KOTOR 1 and especially 2.

I would go with someone like Neill Blomkamp!! Christopher Nolan would be awesome as he would move them back from all the special effects heavy crap that was ep 1-3.

I would be interested to see what Peter Jackson would do but he is tied up with Hobbit and only works with Weta not ILM.

Edited by LukeSaberRattler

This is totally cliche, but I firmly believe JJ Abrams would be the best pick. He is a complete Star Wars nut and he has both the best track record and best creative touch for this type of movie. Just the fact that he made a Star Trek movie and I actually enjoyed it speaks volumes.

Christopher Nolan could not handle a true sci fi movie. All of his stuff is too grounded in reality, and Star Wars is about as far from that as you can get. I could get behind Spielberg directing but like already said, he's not as reliable as he used to be.

I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan and always have been (love love love Firefly), but he has a bit too "lighthearted" of a touch for me for Star Wars. Plus Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7 are both slated for 2015.

I think people would rather have another Holiday Special than a JJ Abrams **** of a franchise / flop project.

All the big name directors are going to have this question posed to them and I can't wait to see who it's going to be. I'm pretty confident whoever they get is going to do a more skillful job than Lucas did.

I don't totally hate Lucas for what he did with the prequels- I just feel like most directors would do a better job of taking the material seriously and presenting it in a credible way than he did. It was obvious the actors didn't buy into Lucas's direction and that in itself hurt the prequels more than anything.

Out of all the movies I've watched since the original trilogy I thought JJ Abrams did the best job of capturing the spirit of Star Wars in the Star Trek reboot. It may not have been the intellectual exercise Trekkies wanted to watch but I'll be damned if the excitement and fun of Star Wars wasn't all over that movie.

To be honest nothing about what JJ Abrams had done beforehand led me to believe that Star Trek was going to be as good as it was but as a Star Wars fan it was right up my alley.

interesting rumor. Jon Favro's new movie has just been put on hold. This usually happens when they have a conflict.

It could mean he is going to direct the new Star Wars. For those of you who don't know Favro directed Iron Man 1 and 2, as well as Cowboys vs Aliens.

He's a solid director and defently an actors director. As long as he is given a good script he can do a great job.

I agree with Joss Whedon, Peter Jackson would be good from a purely fantastical look, but not from a story POV. I only say this because Jackson's best movies are all based off of literary novels. His other movies were ok, but not great. The LotR is by far his best movies, with King Kong coming in as second. The Hobbit movies promise to be great as well, but these are all movies based off of novels. He has a great eye for detail and making or imagining great movie sets, but that's it as far as I am concerned.

All that being said I agree with most that Spielberg would be a good director but I think James Cameron would be a better one. J.J. Abrams would make a good director as well as long as he doesn't let Orci and Kurtzman write. However, with as deep as Disney's pocket books are, almost anyone could make a great Star Wars movie. The real question isn't who would make a great director, but who would make a great writer. I'm sure Lucas hasn't written anything past Ep 7, if he in fact wrote it. As long as Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman don't write any of them they should be pretty decent movies. With the exception of Transformers 1, Legend of Zorro, and Cowboys and Aliens, I'm not impressed with their movie writing skills. They do fine for TV shows, but anything over an hour of continuous storyline and they have issues, IMO.

Abrams already handles a Star Wars movie but he calls it Star Trek. He even said in Trek he was going for a Star Wars feel. So no.