Sage Balance Gearing for pvp?

JourrnoRush

Don't use the higher tier alacrity of 3207 like the guy advised. Use the lower tier: 1.4s GCD -- 1213 alacrity

Also I don't recommend the tactical the guy had "Mystics Ruthless Blade." It is a pretty poor choice. "Slow Mercy" is a much better choice for AOE. "Tempest of Rho" is better for single target.

Also don't use a power relic. The ideal relics are "Relic of Serendipitous Assault" and "Relic of Focused Retribution."

Edited by septru

Don't use the higher tier alacrity of 3207 like the guy advised. Use the lower tier: 1.4s GCD -- 1213 alacrity

Also I don't recommend the tactical the guy had "Mystics Ruthless Blade." It is a pretty poor choice. "Slow Mercy" is a much better choice for AOE. "Tempest of Rho" is better for single target.

Also don't use a power relic. The ideal relics are "Relic of Serendipitous Assault" and "Relic of Focused Retribution."

Thank you for this info.

What about other stats like master, crit, power? I am not sure what kind of numbers I should be aiming for or if I should just throw it all into a certain augment?

Thank you for this info.

What about other stats like master, crit, power? I am not sure what kind of numbers I should be aiming for or if I should just throw it all into a certain augment?

Stat distribution for maddness sorc follows the general stat distribution for all classes.

First, get 2800-3200 crit. Classes with a lot of autocrits (like ling sorc and conc oper) want to aim for lower crit, near 2800. Classes with less autocrits (like madness sorc) should aim for higher crit, near 3200.

Second, get as close to 1213 alacrity without going under it.

Third, stack your remaining points into mastery. Mastery is better than power.

First, get 2800-3200 crit. Classes with a lot of autocrits (like ling sorc and conc oper) want to aim for lower crit, near 2800. Classes with less autocrits (like madness sorc) should aim for higher crit, near 3200.

The standard theorycrafting leads to the opposite conclusion, as I've pointed out before.

The best resource on the optimal amount of crit for madness puts it at about 3000. But the truth is, no one has worked out the exact optimal crit values for the current patch.

Masery vs. power remains a somewhat unsettled subject as well. Although virtually everyone concludes that mastery is better than power, the calculations for best in slot mods indicated that r-2 mods (higher power) are better than r-5 mods (higher mastery). No one has yet resolved that tension (at least not with definitive math).

Edited by JediMasterAlex

> PvP guide

> Dude is at 51 valor and basically uses the PvE utility build

> Spends the entire video not even entering PvP and choosing to show a dummy "rotation" instead which is wrong for PvE/freecasting and also kinda useless for PvP because of how much you rely on kiting/slows/roots/whatever

Quality content.

Stat distribution for maddness sorc follows the general stat distribution for all classes.

Second, get as close to 1213 alacrity without going under it.

Third, stack your remaining points into mastery. Mastery is better than power.

Thank you for this. For sage healing does it change much?

No the general stat distribution is the same.

The only thing that changes is the set bonus and tactical.

Got it, so should I be aiming for mods / enhancements (I think the 80r or whatever the 306 is) that give lowest endurance but more mastery instead of power? I would go all mastery augments too I guess minus what I needed to get alacrity/crit numbers.

Got it, so should I be aiming for mods / enhancements (I think the 80r or whatever the 306 is) that give lowest endurance but more mastery instead of power? I would go all mastery augments too I guess minus what I needed to get alacrity/crit numbers.

Ya I know some people have figured out which exact mods enhancements you need to perfectly min/max. I personally don't care enough. A couple of extra points here or there is not going to change the outcome of anything. The only thing I do is really focus on getting the lowest amount of endurance in my mods and enhancements. And yes, you are completely right on the augments. Usually I just stack mastery augments at the end since I can get the ideal alacrity and crit numbers without augments.

Ya I know some people have figured out which exact mods enhancements you need to perfectly min/max. I personally don't care enough. A couple of extra points here or there is not going to change the outcome of anything. The only thing I do is really focus on getting the lowest amount of endurance in my mods and enhancements. And yes, you are completely right on the augments. Usually I just stack mastery augments at the end since I can get the ideal alacrity and crit numbers without augments.

Nice, thank you for your help.

Someone mentioned in chat that pvp now recommends 105% accuracy, but I thought that pvp dps was always no accuracy except for certain cases?

Have you seen that change at all at least for balance/madness sage?

The standard theorycrafting leads to the opposite conclusion, as I've pointed out before.

The best resource on the optimal amount of crit for madness puts it at about 3000. But the truth is, no one has worked out the exact optimal crit values for the current patch.

Masery vs. power remains a somewhat unsettled subject as well. Although virtually everyone concludes that mastery is better than power, the calculations for best in slot mods indicated that r-2 mods (higher power) are better than r-5 mods (higher mastery). No one has yet resolved that tension (at least not with definitive math).

What do you propose then, what stat line? High alacrity and less crit?

Someone mentioned in chat that pvp now recommends 105% accuracy, but I thought that pvp dps was always no accuracy except for certain cases?

Some classes have always needed 105% accuracy in PvP if they utilize a lot of white damage attacks such as snipers and marauders. Maddness sorc is not one of those classes.

What do you propose then, what stat line? High alacrity and less crit?

No, for madness I'd recommend 1213 alacrity and 3000 crit, rest into mastery. The best way to get 1213 is 4 alacrity augs, a nimble r-19 and a nimble r-20. ideally the rest of the enhancements are adept r-19s (and adept left side). Then you'd probably want a handful of crit augs, however many it would take to get just over 3k, then the rest mastery augs. For mods, you want unlettered lethal r-2, r-3, or r-5.

For healers, 3207 alacrity is viable. The rest would go into crit, naturally.

Nothing has changed regarding accuracy in pvp in a long time. Dps sorcs use only yellow damage, which bypasses the 5% defense chance that all classes have (and the 10% defense chance that inquisitors have).

Edited by JediMasterAlex

For my Madness sorc in PvP, I use the 1.3 GCD, 0 accuracy, ~2500 crit, the rest into Mastery. Tempest of Rho is best tactical, but slow road and even endless barrier are great.

I spec for instant ww, flash on bubble for more survivability.

One thing to keep in mind is will you also be doing any pve content or will you only be playing pvp.

The reason I bring this up is if you plan on doing master mode or NiM pve stuff that is capped at lvl 70, any extra mastery, power or endurance is capped at lvl 70. Which means if you stack mastery augments on all your gear, they won’t be of any use in pve content that’s not rated at new lvl 75 end game.

Of course if you only plan to pvp or you only play the newer lvl 75 end game content, then you can completely disregard everything I just said.

But if you play a mix of capped pve content, then stacking all mastery augs will be a waste of stats in that content. Where as secondary stats like Crit, alacrity, accuracy, etc, are not capped at lvl 70 like mastery, power and endurance.

What it comes down to is what you play the most. If you don’t play ranked or NiM Dux, and you play a variety of swtor content, then you probably want to balance it out a bit more until you can get two sets of gear. Which lets face it, most people won’t bother unless it’s really important to them or they have lots of tech frags they need to spend.

Hopefully I didn’t just muddy the waters too much for you. But I felt it needed to be said as no one else mentioned it.

One thing to keep in mind is will you also be doing any pve content or will you only be playing pvp.

The reason I bring this up is if you plan on doing master mode or NiM pve stuff that is capped at lvl 70, any extra mastery, power or endurance is capped at lvl 70. Which means if you stack mastery augments on all your gear, they won’t be of any use in pve content that’s not rated at new lvl 75 end game.

Of course if you only plan to pvp or you only play the newer lvl 75 end game content, then you can completely disregard everything I just said.

But if you play a mix of capped pve content, then stacking all mastery augs will be a waste of stats in that content. Where as secondary stats like Crit, alacrity, accuracy, etc, are not capped at lvl 70 like mastery, power and endurance.

What it comes down to is what you play the most. If you don’t play ranked or NiM Dux, and you play a variety of swtor content, then you probably want to balance it out a bit more until you can get two sets of gear. Which lets face it, most people won’t bother unless it’s really important to them or they have lots of tech frags they need to spend.

Hopefully I didn’t just muddy the waters too much for you. But I felt it needed to be said as no one else mentioned it.

This is an interesting consideration. I feel like I won't ever do NiM stuff again just because I find operations boring these days. PvP is always fun because the comps are usually different each time. I feel like I would gear for what I want to continue which is mostly pvp. I think I would do the occasional story mode or maybe a veteran mode, but those are so easy it doesn't matter really. At least that was how it was when I last played.

Are the diminishing returns really apparent in the capped content? Would I be seeing a huge enough difference to go from mastery to all crit?

No, for madness I'd recommend 1213 alacrity and 3000 crit, rest into mastery. The best way to get 1213 is 4 alacrity augs, a nimble r-19 and a nimble r-20. ideally the rest of the enhancements are adept r-19s (and adept left side). Then you'd probably want a handful of crit augs, however many it would take to get just over 3k, then the rest mastery augs. For mods, you want unlettered lethal r-2, r-3, or r-5.

For healers, 3207 alacrity is viable. The rest would go into crit, naturally.

Nothing has changed regarding accuracy in pvp in a long time. Dps sorcs use only yellow damage, which bypasses the 5% defense chance that all classes have (and the 10% defense chance that inquisitors have).

I just seen this post ty. I am messing on my sage atm when I got time, will see if my stats are proper when I get the gears changed to my sage. I know the alacrity is high, so I guess I will run with that for a bit.

Is there much difference in the output between the higher alacrity build versus the lower alacrity build when it comes to the healing sorc spec?

Are the diminishing returns really apparent in the capped content? Would I be seeing a huge enough difference to go from mastery to all crit?

Power and mastery are literally capped to a fixed amount in capped content, so you get no benefit at all from having mastery over crit.

Is there much difference in the output between the higher alacrity build versus the lower alacrity build when it comes to the healing sorc spec?

I'm not sure, I don't heal. It's probably harder to test than dps, which is already difficult to do for pvp. I just know I've seen both used in ranked.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Healing in PvP (at least at the high level) is more similar to healing in PvE than most people would think. Unlike a dps in PvP, as a healer you shouldn't have to worry about your target kiting you, you dont have to worry about avoiding big CDs like Undyinf Rage, etc. All of this leads to more uptime as a healer in PvP that mirrors that the uptime in PvE. This is especially true for higher mobility healers like operatives and sorcs.

Long story short, as a healer your increased uptime is conducive to a higher alacrity build, like most PvErs took in 5.0. HOWEVER, in 6.0 healers lose out on too much crit and mastery in a higher alacrity build. This is why PvE healing guides recommend the low tear of alacrity.

TLDR: Healers usually can take a higher alacrity build, but not in 6.0.

Edited by septru

Healing in PvP (at least at the high level) is more similar to healing in PvE than most people would think. Unlike a dps in PvP, as a healer you shouldn't have to worry about your target kiting you, you dont have to worry about avoiding big CDs like Undyinf Rage, etc. All of this leads to more uptime as a healer in PvP that mirrors that the uptime in PvE. This is especially true for higher mobility healers like operatives and sorcs.

Long story short, as a healer your increased uptime is conducive to a higher alacrity build, like most PvErs took in 5.0. HOWEVER, in 6.0 healers lose out on too much crit and mastery in a higher alacrity build. This is why PvE healing guides recommend the low tear of alacrity.

I know there are pve guides out there for building sets for PvE content.

If I am sticking with story and veteran mode, it doesn't matter that I push that mastery for pvp builds right since sm/vm content is so easy that I should be fine?

I would not do master mode unless I was extremely bored and then probably switched out my left side.

Alright. Well, that will give me something to do when I got time and focus, switch out alacrity stuff and put in crit stuff. Thanks for the break down.