Best Class Story?

rreevvannttann

I've only played through Inquisitor and almost completed Warrior. Not sure what class to go through next. any suggestions on what class has the better story?

The one you like the story of better.

Sorry I can't be more precise, but I'm not you (and in fact, nobody else here is either), so I don't know what sort of stories you like.

However

* The Jedi Knight story is cited as classic epic Olde Skool Star Wars, liberally laced with gross stupidity.

* The Jedi Consular story begins with a really epic starter world mission series, then devolves into a great deal of diplomacy that I found really heavy going. (So much so that it took me three years to drag my first character through her class story.)

* The Trooper story is a reasonably good war story, if you like war stories, and has one of the most stress-inducing moral choices in the game. I liked it.

* The Smuggler story is OK, I guess. A healthy dose of betrayal and backstabbing give it a bit of zing, but it isn't exactly Star Wars, except that it did feature some Jedi and some Sith. (The story's plot wouldn't be out of place, aside from the lightsabres and Force manipulations, in a novel set in a series of Third World hellholes and written by, say, Frederick Forsyth.)

* The Sith Inquisitor story you're already familiar with. It's one of my favourites.

* The Sith Warrior story drags excessively for my taste in a few places, but there's an excellent twist between Chapters Two and Three.

* The Bounty Hunter story's main problem is that it drags a bit. It allows you to explore the culture of the Mandalorians a bit, but it felt a bit disconnected in places.

* I've saved the Imperial Agent story for last because my analysis runs counter to the general flow of opinion. That is, I didn't like it. See the spoiler box below if you want more information, but the contents are liable to be spoilerish, and go on for some time. (That can be read as suggesting that I'm conflicted about it, I suppose, and that would be an accurate analysis.)

The beginning of the story is good, and Chapter One flows nicely from the hooks set up on the starter world.

Chapter Two, however, while it is a good story, is being told in the wrong medium. If it were in a novel or a film, or told in an offline single-player "classic" RPG, it would be fine. Even in most MMORPGs, it would be fine. SWTOR provides, as you know, choices to make at every turn, and they give you a sense of control over the expression of your character's personality that is lacking in most online and offline RPGs. For story-valid reasons, that control is lacking in Chapter Two, and I found it deeply jarring. Perhaps on a second play-through (I have an Agentette part-way round Alderaan, that is, near the end of Chapter One), it will work better for me. I don't know.

Chapter Three was less jarring because the control returned, and it features one of the more interesting takes on the action on Voss, even if it was somewhat disappointing in one way.

I've only played through Inquisitor and almost completed Warrior. Not sure what class to go through next. any suggestions on what class has the better story?

Without question imperial agent. Only class story that has multiple endings

1. Jedi Knight 2. Agent

Reasoning- The Jedi Knight story is sort of the classic Star Wars story, also similar to KOTOR. The Agent story is amazing, between undercover operations and assassinations it is very interesting to play through.

Without question imperial agent. Only class story that has multiple endings

Apart from the Smuggler story, I guess. And the variations of what happens to General Rakton in the Trooper story. And what happens to the First Son.

And it's still told in the wrong medium, as I said above.

Also: multiple endings aren't inherently a good thing. Three different endings that all suffer from the Murder By Death(1) effect would make for a bad story, but hey, it must be good because there's multiple endings, right?.

(1) It's a film that spoofs all the worst cliché storytelling in murder-mystery novels, especially late reveals of plot-critical information that wasn't previously foreshadowed in any way.

Well... I remember loving the smuggler storyline, not really because of the whole story, but the conversation and line of dialogs were great, I loved the way that your toons and the other express themselves. But I played it on the french version, not sure if the same work was done in the original version ^^

And yeah, really liked the Agent :)

Bounty Hunter is fine, I guess... but I still prefered the Trooper :/

Edited by supertimtaf

On the whole, I tend to rate the stories:

Inquisitor > Warrior > Consular > Agent > Smuggler > Hunter > Knight > Trooper

The first three are what I'd really call top tier. It's hard to pick which of the Sith stories I like better when they're both at their best. I tend towards Inquisitor simply because I love how it's the most self-motivated (it's the only story where you don't really have someone holocalling you between each planet and telling you where to go); I also dig the rise to power story, and it feels the most "open"...Warrior, if you make too many Light Sided choices, dialogue from other characters and such starts to kind of "railroad" your character motivations, so even though the story itself is really solid, I feel like it's a bit weaker unless it's played the "right" way (of course, I still like my Warrior as a slightly cerebral sort, so he's not above making Light choices when the situation calls for it). Consular is really underrated to me, but has some similar flaws to the Warrior, where if you don't play mostly Light, particularly in the early parts of the story, a lot of the internal logic falls apart. Such a shame since the prologue was all about learning the true history of Dark Jedi. Still, if done "right" here, it's easily my favorite story Republic-side.

Bringing in the second tier, Agent is quite solid, with a lot of twists and an interesting supporting cast and world view. It does really drag at times, though, and the characters you actually get as companions tend to be bland, annoying, or underused in the plot as a whole. It also doesn't get to be its best unless you save it for last, and get to see how it ties a lot of the other stories together. Smuggler and Hunter are both high quality as well, even if they don't stand out as well. Smuggler's funny and exciting, though certain late-story elements make the whole thing a little bit of a letdown. Hunter's freaking ******, and probably the best they could do to make a character feel "freelance" while also providing an ongoing story, though some of the excuses for why you're doing what you're doing are a little flimsy.

Knight and Trooper I find the worst. Knight is definitely the better of the two. It's got a few great moments, although some of those are also morality-based, but I find the story somewhat bland (some people find it "classic Star Wars", I feel less like it's "classic" and more like it's "played-out"), and it has a severe problem with telling rather than showing. You're the chosen one because you are and Orgus is your master even though he never teaches you and Kira's your Padawan even though you never teach her. The thing that happens at the end of Chapter 2 which I won't spoil is supposedly terrible and the guilt eats away at you and stuff but it all happens off camera. Trooper, finally, just has some real problems with cohesiveness and drama. The story sets itself up in a great way, but never follows through, it shifts around somewhat aimlessly, and the writing is entirely too enamored with "this-or-that" choices even when they don't make sense...it's kind of...desensitizing, especially by the time you get to some of what should be the really hard choices near the end, it's just, like, oh, another one.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally like the Consular story, especially the Balmorra part - it feels a bit like the cat & mouse game, a certain revolutionary could have killed my character a lot of times but he didn't - maybe just maybe he has some honor?

Bounty Hunter : i want more Mandalorian content!

Sith Warrior: got bored of Darth Fat Dude at lvl 28, deleted toon.

Inquisitor and Agent are the best stories in the game.

Consular and Trooper are boring as all hell. Zenith is the only reason I made it through the Consular story.

Edited by Avashnea

• 2 weeks later...

Trooper is OK, though I like having super high influence companions on the light side which means many gifts for less popular toons, it's kind of a bit too "REPUBLIC SUPERHERO!!!" for my liking. Just started chapter 3, which I imagine will be leading to the most tedious planets in the galaxy.

Sith Warrior kind of tailed off. Build up, here's Baras! Bye, enjoy Makeb!

I've got to chapter 3 of BH and it's not seemed overly cohesive or interesting throughout.......that and I'm on Belsavis with a trip to ******* Corellia after that I expect. At least I don't feel compelled to repeat the god damn planetaries this time.

I'm saving agent for later, apparently that one is the best.

Inquisitor is next. Can't make up my mind whether to do Sin or Sorc though. All i know is it will be Togruta, seeing as I spent 600 coins I didn't actually pay for on it.

I imagine the Jedi will be frightfully dull, Jedi always are.

• 2 weeks later...

Agent in my opinion is by far the best..

Although contrary to many I also enjoyed the consular story for the fact that it was different.. just if you play a female don't bother romancing Iresso wait for Theron or someone.... Iresso is pretty boring a romance and too rushed no build up at all given you dont get him till very late in the story.

To me Sith War and Jedi Knight was just kill this Sith or this Jedi over and over again. Sure there was more to it then that but it also got old fast.

The Bh story wasn't bad.. the Smuggler story was meh to me.. it was okayish but not great. Didn't really hold my attention.

Inquisitor wasn't bad.

In order of ranking:

1. Imp Agent - Already been said a million times. Mostly comes down to phenomenal writing

2. Sith Inq - Sort of personal but enjoy the politics/power games, snarky comments/funny jokes, pretending to be crazy, and learning the secrets of the Dark Side. For me Inq was just the absolute best because of these things (besides agent which is just spectacular even if you don't like the class itself or the story premise)

3. Sith War - Sort of boring but its basically a good power trip. Plus if you like fighting lightsaber-wielding foes I think this stry gives you to most besides JK and is slightly better/more fun than JK.

4. Jedi Con - Kinda like Sith Inq but less politics and more Force stuff, only its LS sort of Force stuff rather than DS which is more fun.

I have to say the male Inquisitor VA (Euan Norton) nailed it, especially with the snarky lines.

One criticism however, "Murder and mayhem await" should not be the line delivered every time I pick the third option on the yakking wheel.

Edited by orangenee

I think all the classes have something good in them, but here's my personal preference:

Inquisitor>Warrior>Agent>Smuggler>Hunter>Knight>Trooper>Consular

The Inquisitor has a great 'rags to riches story'. Nothing like someone telling you you're nothing and won't amount to anything; and then proving them incredibly wrong. The drawback is the companions are not very unique or fun.

The Warrior had a good story, and better companions, though the middle is a little slow. *Both Sith classes have Sith final bosses, which I think could've been changed.

Agent has the benefit of the multiple endings many players love. Some companions are a little unlikeable, and it's more reminiscent of a spy movie than a Star Wars universe.

Smuggler has the best (humorous) dialogue, and I can easily remember all the companions of this class. But the middle act definitely slows things to a crawl and the final act isn't much better until Corellia.

Hunter has a great first act, and at least two good companions. It lacks a lot in the middle, and there are two companions who are recruited for no good reasons, with one that was a target (he should've been a rival hunter instead), and a dumb lug who just says he's joining and that's it.

The Knight has a classic Star Wars feel to it, so good for first time players. Also has potential for RPing with Dark choices, and some good companions, though one is not not very note worthy. A draw back is that Jedi classes could appear to be dull or preachy if you dedicate to the light path.

Trooper is a class I enjoy RPing without regards to Light and Dark choices. Some of the toughest decisions are in the Trooper's story. And at least three companions are cool, one not so cool, and one forgettable. The problem is a lack of action=consequence. After a scene, you don't really receive a callback of your choices in future.

Consular really picks up by the third chapter. Unfortunately, even that is based on personal preference. It is great in the ways of lore, but it is pretty dull and the companions are nothing really note worthy.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the stories. Hope it helps.

Edited by Mindelmatrix

Agent. Can't walk 50 paces without tripping over a mattress. Has the most romance/flirt opportunities.

Must be human to romance Watcher Two.

More to the point, it has the earliest snog in a companion story - a male agent gets to have casual sex with Kaliyo very early in the story - AND by far the earliest NPC snog in any class story.

It happens on *HUTTA* ffs.

A dude who knows the real person whose identity you have adopted threatens to reveal you. Female agents can sleep with him to get his silence. The first time I did this (well before 4.0, thanks), my agent was level 3.

i have 4 smugglers because i love the class story so much - especially the first and third chapters. there's something nice about playing a character who isn't a jedi or sith, who isn't working for the military, who really has no ties except to their crew.

and the crew's great! well, corso can be a bit annoying (especially if you're playing a female smuggler), and i'm definitely biased towards risha (i rolled a male smuggler just to romance her.)

my only problem with it is a bet spoiler-y towards the end of act one:

you supposedly become SUPER wealthy from nok drayen's treasure, yet, where's the credits??

i'm also loving imperial agent so far.

Ultimately I would suggest trying them all out, because then you get this huge galaxy-scale picture, a lot of npcs have connections to each other, and damn, it's interesting. Also, to each their own, honestly. I'd say all were written well, because they are so different and provide you with unique experiences.

My list would be: Sith Warrior - for those who like 'em some Vader-type feel > Bounty Hunter - non force user being cool cause tech and who needs the Force. Nothing personal, baby, it's just business >Sith Inquisitor - your neighbourhood Sidious theme > Trooper - get to actually know what the Republic is like, not Jedi, but what the faction is all about > Jedi Consular - politics outweight average heroism; you make impact on another level > Smuggler - it's just fun, so many references and opportunities at humour! >Jedi Knight - your typical epic hero thing, it's good, it's epic, it's solid classic > Agent - Bond, nuff said.

Edited by Helena_Gisk

• 2 weeks later...