For New Ranked Players: Target Markers

EnzoForMe

I've seen a lot of newer players in solo ranked in the past few weeks, which is great. For any that happen to see this, target markers are used as an easy visual reminder of the kill order called before the round starts. I've outlined below how they're most commonly used:

Crosshair: Primary Kill Target, the player we're going to focus first - this is the most important one.

Fire, Gun or Saber can be used to mark the second kill target

If there is guard in the game (either from a tank or a dps guarding) your team will usually swap between the primary and secondary kill target - whoever doesn't have guard at the time.

Star is the most common target marker for the "cc target". The player we're using abilities like flashbang, whirlwind, and concussion missile on to reduce their healing/damage output without attacking them. Typically used on healers, operative dps, or ranged dps. Try not to dot, AOE, or directly damage these targets.

Lightning and less frequently Cog are also used for this purpose.

Shield should only ever be used to optionally mark a tank, typically in matches that have a tank and healer where someone may want to control or knockback the tank out of guard range.

In most solo ranked matches, 3 targets will be marked - with a kill order that sounds like this "PT > Sniper, cc Sorc". In this case, we would put Crosshair on the PT, Fire on the Sniper, Star on the Sorc, and leave the 4th member of their team unmarked - usually the last player to focus.

Using and understanding the markers above will help avoid confusion and increase the amount of games you win by helping your team stick to a kill order. Good luck in the queue!

Edited by EnzoForMe

I play both DM and SF and these are how the target markers are commonly used - I'd imagine it's the same for the other servers as well!

Are they though? I've played for quite a while myself on all servers and have never heard of this, nor has anyone I have ever spoken to ever mentioned this. In fact, in the majority of games I have played, players aren't marked. I think much more commonly used is ops chat where new players would be better served learning ranked lexis such as "CC healer, swap sin and jugg offguard."

I think it's a great idea to have a universal marking system... I just don't think it's true to say its "commonly accepted."

Are they though? I've played for quite a while myself on all servers and have never heard of this, nor has anyone I have ever spoken to ever mentioned this. In fact, in the majority of games I have played, players aren't marked. I think much more commonly used is ops chat where new players would be better served learning ranked lexis such as "CC healer, swap sin and jugg offguard."

I think it's a great idea to have a universal marking system... I just don't think it's true to say its "commonly accepted."

I've listed how these targets are commonly used (which is probably the better word than "accepted") from my observations. There's still a ton of personal preference here, but by and large this is a good guideline for new players. Crosshair, gun, and fire have always meant kill, not cc or ignore, for example. If someone on your team is marking, it's to provide a helpful visual aid that any player, especially a new one, will benefit from.

I considered before posting this that it might just be "Caprica's preference of how to use markers" but I've seen a lot of players this season use them the way I've outlined above both in my games and in streams where I'm not in the games.

Edited by EnzoForMe