PVP Ranked system is BROKE

mattfurla

How is it possible to someone to go and have their first PVP ranked match against a TOP5 worldwide? In what kind of world this make any sense? You guys need a way to filter the queues, because that is the main reason why people don't play ranked PVP, because they get queued to top tier players, get beat, and never try again. What kind of spaghetti code do you guys use on Ranked queues for this ATROCITY to happen?

Exactly, and that's the most frustrating thing. They think people were born knowing all mechanics, and if they are not doing it they "don't have hands". Instead of helping and teaching new players, these "top ranked" just want to win and get their rewards.

One of the largest problems with the ranked system is that it doesn't bracket (or like you called it "filter") players appropriately. Matchmaking is supposed to match players of a similar elo in games together, but the brackets for what it considers "similar elo" are extremely wide. What the matchmaker ends up doing is matchmaking by average, where places players from a very large elo range on the same team to average out their elo. For example I got in a game with the current top 3 slinger who was rated 1754 on my 100 rated operative against multiple players who were either in placements or below 1200. Here is a screenshot of the game: https://imgur.com/a/Cm7zm1y

Many people have complained that the brackets needs to be narrowed down. IMO it should only match players within +/- 200 elo. As I've said before matchmaker is extremely unfair to everyone involved. It's not fair to the new players who are trying to learn and play their first ranked game against a ranked veteran, and it's not fair to the ranked veteran who is trying to have competitive games and doesn't want to be stuck with a player that is learning.

Its mainly a problem of low population. There is noone else in que to pair you with!

Do not believe this. Currently there are 3-4 games on SF at almost al hours of the day. That is around 28-36 players in que. On DM there are upwards of 5 games going on at the same time, and solo ranked pops almost all day. Saying that the population is too low for proper matchmaking of narrow brackets is both untrue and cop out for incompetency by the bioware devs to fix this issue.

Edited by septru

Yep, they should definitely be more stricter about the "bracket" matchmaking, on DM it feels like brackets are a thing when alot of players are in queue, you can usually see stacked games with people 1300+ put in the same games.

However i think the system isnt waiting long enough for this to happen so if lets say there is 2 more people at 1500 rating that got "skipped", instead of letting these players wait out, they get a pop with people at 1000 rating which shouldnt happen. Atleast not as fast as it seems to be right now.

I used to watch alot of LoL streams and even in a game with thousands of players at high elo, it wasnt uncommon with queue times upwards 15-30 minutes. But then you would always have games with people at Challenger down to Master.

Maybe this is a bit too strict for swtor but i wouldnt mind waiting longer for pops to be at least a little tighter in terms of individual rating.

One of the largest problems with the ranked system is that it doesn't bracket (or like you called it "filter") players appropriately. Matchmaking is supposed to match players of a similar elo in games together, but the brackets for what it considers "similar elo" are extremely wide. What the matchmaker ends up doing is matchmaking by average, where places players from a very large elo range on the same team to average out their elo. For example I got in a game with the current top 3 slinger who was rated 1754 on my 100 rated operative against multiple players who were either in placements or below 1200. Here is a screenshot of the game: https://imgur.com/a/Cm7zm1y

Many people have complained that the brackets needs to be narrowed down. IMO it should only match players within +/- 200 elo. As I've said before matchmaker is extremely unfair to everyone involved. It's not fair to the new players who are trying to learn and play their first ranked game against a ranked veteran, and it's not fair to the ranked veteran who is trying to have competitive games and doesn't want to be stuck with a player that is learning.

Do not believe this. Currently there are 3-4 games on SF at almost al hours of the day. That is around 28-36 players in que. On DM there are upwards of 5 games going on at the same time, and solo ranked pops almost all day. Saying that the population is too low for proper matchmaking of narrow brackets is both untrue and cop out for incompetency by the bioware devs to fix this issue.

If it was otherwise, you would be complaining about long que times are and how unfair it is that you are punished as a high rated player with not getting enough pops.

The fix is simple. Just scrap this system and make another one that is not designed for 1v1 chess games . You are against that as well . So there is no satisfying you what so ever.

Que times can be tricky. It’s a quality vs quantity issue. At what point do you sacrifice quality of the game (similar elo games) for quantity of games? Most of the people I have asked with high elo (1500 or higher) generally say that they are willing to wait much longer than they are already for a good game. I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think the general consensus among most high elo players are that they willing to wait a maximum time of 15-20 minutes for a pop. I think on average most players are willing to wait 5-10 minutes for a pop. For these reasons I have suggested the following… (sorry if this gets technical)

First 5-10 minutes que is only open to +/- 200 elo. So a 1200 rated player could get in a game with other players from 1000-1400 rated.

After 10 minutes the que slowly becomes more open to more elo ranges.

After 15 minutes the que opens to +/- 300 elo.

After 20 minutes the que opens completely up.

The fix is simple. Just scrap this system and make another one that is not designed for 1v1 chess games . You are against that as well . So there is no satisfying you what so ever.

I don't know what you mean by a 1v1 chess game, so I don't know how I could be against it. But one thing you should probably consider is that any fix that "scraps the system and makes another one" is safe to say not a "simple" one.

he means the ELO system was borrowed from a chess rating system. chess is a 1v1 game.

rated arenas are a team game. he's saying ELO was never designed to work for individuals playing on a team where team wins and losses are what raise/lower ELO.

not agreeing or disagreeing, just explaining the rationale.