Was there supposed to be a second 'subscriber appreciation' at the end of July?

stockmks

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

It was our plan originally to have a second subscriber appreciation occur at the end of the month along with our Cartel Coin grant you received in the beginning. Unfortunately we hit some tech hurdles and that is no longer the case. As always, we are going to continue to look for ways to show appreciation to you guys and ensure there is strong value in your subscription!

Sorry for any confusion.

-eric

Hey Eric,

So does this mean the original plan has been completely scrapped and you're looking for something different, or that the technical issues are still being worked on?

And if they just threw us another package of Coins, people would still complain. Seriously, BW cannot win with some people here

It's about how they handle it. If they said "Yes, we haven't forgotten about the second subscriber appreciation! We're giving every sub 500 more CC!" people would complain. But if they said "We did have something extra planned at the end of the month, but we ran into some technical difficulties we were unable to overcome. We'll be giving subscribers another 500 CC and will be looking for additional was to show appreciation to subscribers"

They're pretty much the same thing, but one shows a lot more thought put into it. So no, I do not believe that more coins would have made people complain if they had approached it right. But at the end of the day, anything is better than nothing, and nothing is what we got. A promise of subscriber apprecation just puts us back at square one.

Hey folks,

It was our plan originally to have a second subscriber appreciation occur at the end of the month along with our Cartel Coin grant you received in the beginning. Unfortunately we hit some tech hurdles and that is no longer the case. As always, we are going to continue to look for ways to show appreciation to you guys and ensure there is strong value in your subscription!

Sorry for any confusion.

-eric

Soo... What was it?

Is it still the same thing planned, but you're working on the tech? Or is it just scrapped now? Is it something other than Cartel Coins?

Sorry, but the vagueness of your post kinda makes it seem like there weren't anything planned, and this is just a way to salvage the situation. I don't believe that myself, but the post does seem really vague. Just a hint that there might be something some day in the future..

So you're willing to overlook shoddy practice because it's a video game (that we all pay monthly for btw), but when someone isn't it bothers you enough to call them out on the forums? Huh. . .

To echo ikinai's own post, yes, I am willing to overlook what you consider shoddy business practices because it is just a computer game.

If you feel so shabbily treated, why do you subscribe?

Cartel coins just add a monetary value to me being a subscriber, and only for being one at the time the CCs were given out. I'd prefer a system that not only rewards being a subscriber right now, but for having been a subscriber for a long time, and for continuing to be one. As a result I'd love to see the long-term plan be a veteran rewards program related to subscriptions.

The good news is that they had planned something better than Cartel Coins again.

Bad news is they failed hard and couldn't even do the CC again.

Fail

Why on God's Green Creation would they want to give out more of something that people are STILL crying about?

Edited by TheBBP

Hey folks,

Sorry for any confusion.

-eric

Well... I'll glady take another 500 coins so you work on fixing technical issues on whatever you were working on while we get another 500 coins k? :D

Hey folks,

Sorry for any confusion.

-eric

Wow.. and I actually factoring in the game directors words into subbing this month. I actually got baited and switched.

I hope these technical hurdles are also effecting the next cartel market update, cartel ewok, and patch. Would be pretty telling where the priorities are if the next cartel update comes out smack on time.

Technical hurdles? I don't really buy that sorry. Sounds like a "fob off".

It's very clear from Eric's answer that the higher ups are keeping him on a short leash on this one whatever that means. It's OK Bioware, you are forgiven. Those of us who are still left around here can handle a bigger breach of promise than that.

Why on God's Green Creation would they want to give out more of something that people are STILL crying about?

It's about how they handle it. If they said "Yes, we haven't forgotten about the second subscriber appreciation! We're giving every sub 500 more CC!" people would complain. But if they said "We did have something extra planned at the end of the month, but we ran into some technical difficulties we were unable to overcome. We'll be giving subscribers another 500 CC and will be looking for additional was to show appreciation to subscribers"

They're pretty much the same thing, but one shows a lot more thought put into it. So no, I do not believe that more coins would have made people complain if they had approached it right. But at the end of the day, anything is better than nothing, and nothing is what we got. A promise of subscriber apprecation just puts us back at square one.

Read.

Could it be that they've learned the lesson that setting the expectation that a gift is going to make subscribers feel appreciated, then coming through with a gift that requires zero thought and minimal effort while at the same time being at best tangentially related to subscribers' reason for subscribing is a very bad idea?:

If by this you mean "Could it be that they learned their lesson that their playerbase is a bunch of immature, whiny, entitled children", then yes, I would say they learned that lesson.

Once again, people on these forums prove that they have no idea what the term "bait and switch" means.

Good point. Technically I was thrown by a false or misleading public statement by the game director, possibly a lie. Not exactly a bait and switch, yes.

... Thinking about it further.. I can't believe bioware actually chose the 'lets say nothing and hope they'll forget about it' approach. The fact that this was even in scope for bioware, well, at least could explain why there are so many bugs in the game.

Edited by stockmks

I don't much care for 500 CC's but since they have been granted before I find it strange that a technical difficulty has arisen for them to be granted again. Perhaps it is that people will save them and purchase the ewok companion with them rather than buy additional coins for this purchase that is the technical difficulty.

To me Bounty hunter contract week launching a week early for subs so we aren't fighting over the same resources of underworld informants would be nice and much appreciated as a subscriber.

I don't much care for 500 CC's but since they have been granted before I find it strange that a technical difficulty has arisen for them to be granted again. Perhaps it is that people will save them and purchase the ewok companion with them rather than buy additional coins for this purchase that is the technical difficulty.

To me Bounty hunter contract week launching a week early for subs so we aren't fighting over the same resources of underworld informants would be nice and much appreciated as a subscriber.

It apparently was something else than "yet another CC grant", or at least I understood Eric's post like that.

And Treek can be bought without Coins :rak_03:

Hey folks,

Sorry for any confusion.

-eric

*sighs*

Ok, Eric, I certainly don't blame you, so: acrtually, thank you for the bravery of being the one who gave out the news.

While I don't know where and how the difficulties suddenly arose in getting 500 CC to every subscriber, I hope your higher-ups know that this is really disappointing.

I know a whole lot of people complained, but that's the nature of a) people and b) forums, and I really really really hope that whoever is in charge of these things does realise that.

But I also think that in this case now, people are RIGHT to be disappointed: not getting the exact gift you expected is one thing. Having been told you'd get something and then have that promise just pulled back is... well, if it is in a personal relationship it would actually be hurtful, as it is, it is just really really disappointing and might pull a LOT of faith from the community.

Just my 2 cents... perhaps you'll earn my faith back somehow, but for now, it's seriously gone.

I have fun with the game, yes... but it just slipped higher up the list of things I might just drop in favour of something else.

Edited by LaynaTan

... Thinking about it further.. I can't believe bioware actually chose the 'lets say nothing and hope they'll forget about it' approach. The fact that this was even in scope for bioware, well, at least could explain why there are so many bugs in the game.

That, or they're currently working on something else and hoped we'd forget until they finished their replacement idea. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Personally I would rather the content team work on, well, you know, CONTENT rather than appeasing people who complain about things so insignificant in the grand scheme of the game that most of the player base didn't even notice.

Subscriber appreciation? Fine ill take it, but I don't care enough to come on the forum, throw all of my manners out of the window and act like a spoilt child who didn't get all of the Christmas presents he expected.

Keep up the main game content, development and open communication with us Bioware, and I am happy as a pig in you know what.

Personally I would rather the content team work on, well, you know, CONTENT rather than appeasing people who complain about things so insignificant in the grand scheme of the game that most of the player base didn't even notice.

Subscriber appreciation? Fine ill take it, but I don't care enough to come on the forum, throw all of my manners out of the window and act like a spoilt child who didn't get all of the Christmas presents he expected.

Keep up the main game content, development and open communication with us Bioware, and I am happy as a pig in you know what.

This makes no sense as I believe this whole issue arrived when Bioware released a patch that had NO game content only stuff for the Cartel Market. That's why theres the whole Subscriber thing going on. In the "grand scheme" of things I agree with the people who complained about that patch as had they not we more than likely would have seen patches solely for the cartel market quite often.

Edited by weejohnathon
typos

The Swtor dev's (if there are any left) need to go spend sometime at ArenaNet to see how those guys do things for their game and community. No subscription and a store with half of what Swtor has and yet they pump out content for their player base every 2 weeks.

Holidays or something like April fools day...(laughably we got the opportunity to purchase our xmas fun off the Cartel Market...whose bright idea was that?) Guild Wars 2 players get events and mini games that rewarded their players with fun items. They put on their forums what looked like a joke for April Fools but wait, not only was it a cool joke on the forums but they again had great content in game for real.

Halloween is another great event in Guild Wars 2...I mean the Rakghoul plague would be awesome for Halloween for our game.

Really other games do a much better job at looking after their player base than this one...I am all for them making money but the line has to be drawn somewhere...

Oh an ArenaNet are a lot more open as to what is upcoming with there game in the future...not all this cloak and dagger crap that EA/Bioware spins us with phrases like...." we can't tell you anything at the moment but believe me your going to love it...it's awesome".