Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New IA - operative or sniper?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New IA - operative or sniper?

FaToxic
01.24.2012 , 04:24 PM | #1
Hi,
just hit 10 with my IA and am atm unsure which of the advanced class to take. I've got some TOR experience, played the game since beta and got a 47 commando (on ice till there's a server transfer option).

Initially I wanted to go sniper (Marksmanship looked quite apealing) but after reading the sniper forums I'm not quite sure about it anymore. Plenty of 'Our class sucks threads' and so on Is it possible to play the sniper competentive or should I go oprative?

Operative, on the other side, seems to have more variety in their role. I liked the possibility to be able to heal flashpoints or groupquests, but not exactly sure about the other specs. Concealment got nerfed last patch, and I have no idea how competentive Lethality is.

I'd welcome any feedback and suggestions from follow agents (how the classes play, hwo they compete in PVE/PVP, ...). Thanks!

MPagano
01.24.2012 , 04:35 PM | #2
Everyone thinks their class sucks except for those of us who try to improve and adapt. You play what's fun for you. They're drastically different playstyles, so I think the only person that can really answer is you.

Schmoobibs
01.24.2012 , 05:37 PM | #3
I am in the exact same situation as you - 47 merc on ice cos my server is too dead, and I started a sith assassin but it doesn't really fit my playstyle, so now I'm looking towards IA, guess glowsticks aren't my thing.

From what I've been reading, sniper sports a similar playstyle to merc/commando, which is bad for people like us cos we've experienced the ******ery of merc/commando. Also read that cover is very broken.

Stealthing is pretty fun, so I guess I am gonna make an operative now, gonna see how that goes.

Barstool
01.24.2012 , 05:52 PM | #4
play both to 20. It really doesn't take long. Then pick the one that calls to you!

I play both and even though the story gets old the play does not...

omarious
01.24.2012 , 08:04 PM | #5
if you're familiar with wow:

sniper=hunter (dps only)

operative=rogue/heals (dps/healer)

ive lvled sniper 10-25 as marksman (single target style), 26-40 as engineer (more aoe oriented). i feel if u stick to one tree the whole time it gets boring, so i tend to switch it up from time to time.

Auxili
01.24.2012 , 10:26 PM | #6
tbh sniper plays more like an ele shaman (rooted dps with an pbaoe knockback and low utility), while the operative def plays like a rogue. However, it's a bad rogue in that it has zero sustained damage.
Important Discussions: Republic Ghosttown | Future of the Republic | Use Our Community Feedback
We will remember. 1.1

ratempa
01.25.2012 , 12:00 AM | #7
Go operative, sniper is only dps and not much else. And dps alone doesn't win wz matches.

ncupton
01.25.2012 , 12:03 AM | #8
If you ever have problems with lag sniper is very forgiving! Just spam snipe. Can't say that for any other class but the mercenary with full armor, mako healing, and spamming missiles.
(T|///////////IΓ‾T‾[███████████████████████████████████████) Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Mattdoommaster
01.25.2012 , 01:17 AM | #9
Operative probably is stronger right now. And more flexible since you can both heal and do DPS.

illgot
01.25.2012 , 01:35 AM | #10
Operatives are heals and good melee damage

Snipers are just DPS but great at ranged attacks

I personally went Operative because the sniper has no tank or healing spec.