Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why you shouldn't like Game Update 6.0

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why you shouldn't like Game Update 6.0

robertthebard's Avatar


robertthebard
08.18.2019 , 08:13 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Baraxis View Post
What he is saying is from a casual raiders point of view....or anyone really that tries to start gearing after week 2 of the expansion being out. The "professionals" will have already set their teams up and as the team gains gear the bar for entry to the team raises. Following out this line is not difficult, the longer it takes for the causal to get started, the lower the chance they EVER get started....

The expansion not being out is absolutely not a reason to not like the new system. It is transparent how this will work...at the core of it at least. There may be some little tweaks here and there but the system is a known one to people that have played MMOs for a while.

I am an altoholic so this game lost me a good while back. I don't have any stake in how the system will work. Every time people speak up about how the "new system" will have the predicted flaws others shout it down saying "it isn't even out yet!" The people speaking up aren't wrong....it isn't rocket science how these things are built...
This would be a valid point, if we discount there being lots of casual raiders, or at least enough to fill several groups, in several time zones. However, trying to point to this system as somehow causing a situation like this? Nope. This situation already exists, and it existed before 4.0, let alone anything after. I experienced it myself shortly after RotHC released. SM op being advertised, requiring NiM gear to play. Hell, it's not exclusive to swtor, I had to drop a group in DDO because the healer spent 15 minutes crying about my HP, I had 297, she wanted 300... The thing about casual raiders is, they have a circle of friends that they've been doing their casual raiding with, most likely, and they're likely to not be as bothered by this as you seem to believe.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

Baraxis's Avatar


Baraxis
08.18.2019 , 08:23 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
This would be a valid point, if we discount there being lots of casual raiders, or at least enough to fill several groups, in several time zones. However, trying to point to this system as somehow causing a situation like this? Nope. This situation already exists, and it existed before 4.0, let alone anything after. I experienced it myself shortly after RotHC released. SM op being advertised, requiring NiM gear to play. Hell, it's not exclusive to swtor, I had to drop a group in DDO because the healer spent 15 minutes crying about my HP, I had 297, she wanted 300... The thing about casual raiders is, they have a circle of friends that they've been doing their casual raiding with, most likely, and they're likely to not be as bothered by this as you seem to believe.
This system didn't/wont cause this. Casusals suffer under this system because of it though. I only was addressing the quoted concerns, not the system itself.
The main point of my post was that the system doesn't acknowledge the problem that spans MMO gearing problems as a whole. They are creating it, and more importantly celebrating it, with no thought to how it will actually function.

robertthebard's Avatar


robertthebard
08.18.2019 , 08:48 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Baraxis View Post
This system didn't/wont cause this. Casusals suffer under this system because of it though. I only was addressing the quoted concerns, not the system itself.
The main point of my post was that the system doesn't acknowledge the problem that spans MMO gearing problems as a whole. They are creating it, and more importantly celebrating it, with no thought to how it will actually function.
My point is more "it's a pre-existing condition". People have been excluding players based on gear for years, and, as you rightly state, across the industry. However, short of just giving them the gear when they log in, there's not a lot that can be done about it. Gear treadmills are a thing, and have been for a long time. The purpose is, of course, to keep players playing as long as possible, and whether I agree with the philosophy behind the system here or not, and I don't, to keep them subbed. This isn't new here either, it's been here since the game went F2P. So while gear treadmills are indeed a pain, this system isn't the cause, but a symptom of.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

QuiDonJorn's Avatar


QuiDonJorn
08.18.2019 , 01:31 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Rheshalea View Post
BWAHHAHAAhahahaaaa so funny!
Who cares about gear? Not the casual player, that's for sure. We kill things just fine without even knowing what the max item level is, because we don't care! And we may or may not remember augments exist, we may or may not check the prices for augments on GTN and decide to buy a comfy chair instead.

Let the hardcore players worry about stats. Us casuals will have fun regardless, while people like you check stats on others and blow a gasket if someone who doesn't even care dares deviate.
Wish i could like this about 150 times. This post just won the internet!!!!
Mind you, I do grind for gear. But it SO isn't necessary at all for the content I play.
What is the content I play? Not raids, that's for sure! I stay far, far away from people like the OP.

LasagnaSurfer's Avatar


LasagnaSurfer
08.18.2019 , 08:02 PM | #55
Honestly I got tired of the grind so I didn't even gear to 258 on my main let alone the other 30 characters that are 248s.

I want Star Wars to put out new story content and not recycle 5 year old content.

ESO has thousands of hours of unique story... why is SWTOR so far behind?
Zwoop <Harbingers of Valhalla> & <Raiders of Valhalla> Satele Shan twitch.tv/zwoopity

Elessara's Avatar


Elessara
08.18.2019 , 09:59 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by LasagnaSurfer View Post
Honestly I got tired of the grind so I didn't even gear to 258 on my main let alone the other 30 characters that are 248s.

I want Star Wars to put out new story content and not recycle 5 year old content.

ESO has thousands of hours of unique story... why is SWTOR so far behind?
The SWTOR team is understaffed and, I would wager, not given a really great budget. I honestly think they're doing what they can with what they have. I don't agree with all of the decisions the devs make but I can't really slam them on this.

MandFlurry's Avatar


MandFlurry
08.18.2019 , 10:27 PM | #57
The OP might be right, as much as i hate to admit it. I mean why isn't there a system in place on PTS for us to test this new looting system, and crafting better. In other betas they would let us test this stuff well before any launch, so i do worry as to why we are not given a new loot system to test.

I hope the OP is wrong, but i know some people can be stupid enough to implement a system where all we do it kill things mindlessly, and that is Not how you make an MMO.
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator
Referral for Star Wars Goodness
http://www.swtor.com/r/hzQMWp

Celise's Avatar


Celise
08.19.2019 , 12:02 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by MandFlurry View Post
The OP might be right, as much as i hate to admit it. I mean why isn't there a system in place on PTS for us to test this new looting system, and crafting better. In other betas they would let us test this stuff well before any launch, so i do worry as to why we are not given a new loot system to test.

I hope the OP is wrong, but i know some people can be stupid enough to implement a system where all we do it kill things mindlessly, and that is Not how you make an MMO.
Private testing can be helpful in that regard, who knows which person on this forum could be apart of such a thing . Of course being under an NDA, no one can speak on the subject even if they wanted to.

In any event, such testing can only catch so much over such a small net, when cast. inevitably the rest of us will be reporting on those issues like clockwork upon release since that net will be massive compared to what EA has in a private capacity. naturally these MMO's are always beta products even after an official launch as they are constantly changing and evolving, so finding and fixing bugs be it in private testing or PTS, it still doesn't mean every bug will be caught, and brand new ones could be in there yet to be found. and so forth.

There is also no point wondering and whipping up a doomstorm without knowing what it is we will be getting at this point. if it is true after the fact, then these forums will be filled full of the usual, but if it isn't and turns out to be a good surprise?

No point jumping on that bandwagon at this point.

MandFlurry's Avatar


MandFlurry
08.19.2019 , 12:41 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
Private testing can be helpful in that regard, who knows which person on this forum could be apart of such a thing . Of course being under an NDA, no one can speak on the subject even if they wanted to.

In any event, such testing can only catch so much over such a small net, when cast. inevitably the rest of us will be reporting on those issues like clockwork upon release since that net will be massive compared to what EA has in a private capacity. naturally these MMO's are always beta products even after an official launch as they are constantly changing and evolving, so finding and fixing bugs be it in private testing or PTS, it still doesn't mean every bug will be caught, and brand new ones could be in there yet to be found. and so forth.

There is also no point wondering and whipping up a doomstorm without knowing what it is we will be getting at this point. if it is true after the fact, then these forums will be filled full of the usual, but if it isn't and turns out to be a good surprise?

No point jumping on that bandwagon at this point.
Yeah, what i'm hoping, is that they are not just people from big guilds, and people that play all the time. We have to have the hard-cores along with some casuals to make a balance of the new looting system.

What i should have made as a post is a withdrawal of all green loot, and just leave the Blue, Purple and Golds in for gearing loot. Greens just make me feel cheap, and usually the people i know just trash them. We need a better feeling of accomplishment in whatever we do.
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator
Referral for Star Wars Goodness
http://www.swtor.com/r/hzQMWp

LeMage's Avatar


LeMage
08.19.2019 , 01:11 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
OP,

Thank you for you post and the time you took to write the post but I have never based my like or dislikes on what someone likes or dislikes. I make my own decision. I am not from the "new" era that I listen to what everyone else says and agrees with them or disagrees with them. I based my choices on what I like or don't like so thank you but I will wait and make my own decision.
This ^^ for me also
--,-'-{@ RIP MxO @}--,-'-