Semi-Noob looking to make useful items and stack of credits

Forceshade

Hello All,

I originally bought SWTOR as a pre-order but stopped playing a while after release and just continued a couple days ago. I am playing a Powertech Bounty Hunter and have picked up Armormech, Scavenging and Slicing as my crewskills. What I am wondering, is Armormech worth-while? My concern is that most people will just find Orange pieces of gear and not want to buy my crafted armor, same goes for myself as far as using gear I make. I am hoping at least augments are worthwhile.

TL;DR Is Armormech (with Scavenging and Slicing) profitable? If so, from armor made or just from augments?

Edited by Forceshade

Hello All,

I originally bought SWTOR as a pre-order but stopped playing a while after release and just continued a couple days ago. I am playing a Powertech Bounty Hunter and have picked up Armormech, Scavenging and Slicing as my crewskills. What I am wondering, is Armormech worth-while? My concern is that most people will just find Orange pieces of gear and not want to buy my crafted armor, same goes for myself as far as using gear I make. I am hoping at least augments are worthwhile.

TL;DR Is Armormech (with Scavenging and Slicing) profitable? If so, from armor made or just from augments?

I don't know about others, but I hardly use my Armormech character to make credits. Early on, I did make a ton selling low level orange shells but with adaptive armor, oranges available via Plantary Commendatios, and social armor the market is not as great as it once was.

My suggestion would be Biochem, bioanalys, and Dip for a first character. The mats, even at low levels, still command a good price and implants sell. The stims and other items that you can make will benefit your character.

On your second character, I would say Cybertech, scavaging and either UT or Slicing. You can make the mods, armorings, and ears. Pre 2.0 the mods and mats sold well and for a good profit. Until recently, post 2.0 the Planetary Commendations killed both the crafted item and mats markets, but surprisingly they are stariing to come back and armoring and mods are starting to sell again. Level 28 CT crafted items are sweet and do sell and bring a nice profit (especially at the blue level). CT is also nice while you are leveling.

As I said, I do not do much with my Armormech and would note that Armstech is much the same.

Once you have a good base in Bio and CT and are generating income, you can look at Synth, Armormech, and Armstech for the augments and Kits. Another play is somewhere down the line is to build characters will all gathering skills to generate a wealth of mats through gatthering and missions. Slicing is also nice down the line on a few characteres for the TRs and crafting missions that it generates and for in world lockbox finds.

-------------

LOL, I do feel your pain. I have every crafting skill at 450 and each gathering skill on multiple characters at 450 with legacy at cap. I recently created a character on a different server and have no legacy, no credits, and can craft nothing for him. I forgot how much that sucks and how gimped you are.

Edited by asbalana

I don't know about others, but I hardly use my Armormech character to make credits. Early on, I did make a ton selling low level orange shells but with adaptive armor, oranges available via Plantary Commendatios, and social armor the market is not as great as it once was.

My suggestion would be Biochem, bioanalys, and Dip for a first character. The mats, even at low levels, still command a good price and implants sell. The stims and other items that you can make will benefit your character.

On your second character, I would say Cybertech, scavaging and either UT or Slicing. You can make the mods, armorings, and ears. Pre 2.0 the mods and mats sold well and for a good profit. Until recently, post 2.0 the Planetary Commendations killed both the crafted item and mats markets, but surprisingly they are stariing to come back and armoring and mods are starting to sell again. Level 28 CT crafted items are sweet and do sell and bring a nice profit (especially at the blue level). CT is also nice while you are leveling.

As I said, I do not do much with my Armormech and would note that Armstech is much the same.

Once you have a good base in Bio and CT and are generating income, you can look at Synth, Armormech, and Armstech for the augments and Kits. Another play is somewhere down the line is to build characters will all gathering skills to generate a wealth of mats through gatthering and missions. Slicing is also nice down the line on a few characteres for the TRs and crafting missions that it generates and for in world lockbox finds.

Ok, I may drop my Crew Skills tonight in favor of your Biochem advice, that or re-roll, I have been thinking about re-rolling Merc, not sure if I like Powertech lol

The cash is in augments & kits + blue leveling stuff (especially bracers, belts & gloves). During leveling, most people only pick up custom (orange) chest and pants, sometimes boots & helmet/headpiece. It's simply too expensive and too much hassle for most people to have every single gear piece be custom and have to replace 7/8/9 sets of 3 modifications in each every 4 levels or so. Belts, bracers, gloves fit most of chests and pants with color unify. Augments (especially end-game) don't need explanation. And some of the custom Armomech sets still sell quite well, especially now with dyes. You can make credits with this profession if you spot some trends. But it's true that it probably won't be as much as with other professions. Edited by Pietrastor

I personally would prefer to buy blue quality armour pieces over mod-able pieces anyday, since going the mod-able route leads you to paying hell a lot more in the long run.

For example:

Level 33 Blue Armour Chest piece: 25k

or:

Orange Shell = 5-15k (varies based on player selling it)

Level 33 Blue Armouring = 15k

Level 33 Blue Mod = 10k

Level 31 Blue Enhancement = 15k

In the end, while Going the mod-able route allows you to find the perfect look and stick to it and if you can stomach the crafting, go for cybertech, but cost-wise, it tends to be more better go buy the armour piece itself, instead of the mod-able one, though it all does come down to if you are lucky with the prices on the GTN, I have found some very well priced items on the GTN and mostly its insultingly overpriced.

In the end, most tend to just pick the best short-term profit, instead of the smart move and going long-term.

The cash is in augments & kits + blue leveling stuff (especially bracers, belts & gloves). During leveling, most people only pick up custom (orange) chest and pants, sometimes boots & helmet/headpiece. It's simply too expensive and too much hassle for most people to have every single gear piece be custom and have to replace 7/8/9 sets of 3 modifications in each every 4 levels or so. Belts, bracers, gloves fit most of chests and pants with color unify. Augments (especially end-game) don't need explanation. And some of the custom Armomech sets still sell quite well, especially now with dyes. You can make credits with this profession if you spot some trends. But it's true that it probably won't be as much as with other professions.

I have no argument with this.

When I started out, I went Synth and Armormech and pretty much stuck to blue and purple pieces. It did not make sense to replace two or three modifications on seven to nine slots each four levels. I ended up switching over to all orange and modding the pieces because it ended up being more efficient and cost effective in the long run and the availibility of single pieces (schematics) was too spread out to be reallly effective. I also try to keep my companions well geared and end up at different times with light, medium, and heavy gear requirements.

Although this is true as well for crafting single pieces, I eventually found it cheap as dirt to go the modded route once I had a full book of CT schematics. The mats needed (Scavaging and Arch) are all over the place and I end up with stacks of the stuff when I am out in the world leveling.

I can start out in adaptive gear (and although they look silly most of my companions in adaptive or social gear) at level 1 (or I believe 10 for companions) and mod the heck out of them in blues and they are pretty strong that way. It seems that I am forever near 100 PCs and so my companon is always geared with current level blues for free just by adding mods to his/her orange stuff. If I am looking at a slot, I don't have to wait until the next higher level pattern is availabe (the patterns do not always jump every four levels or so for each slot), but just make the mods that I need. Much of the single piece gear is class specific at the lower to mid levels. So with adaptive gear and mods, I am moving ahead immediately. With Armormech, I have trouble gearing my companion and indeed my character as well (i.e. have to go through the SW stuff to get to JK specific stuff). My JK or SW wear the same adaptive gear and take the same mods. I do not need to build light sabers or offhands every few levels. My CT with mods and my Artifice with enhancements hilts and crystals makes all once I have the orange shell(s) which are pretty easy to come by.

My life loves dressing her characters and likes much of the stuff available on the gtn as CM drop listings. She is also a power freak smash monkey, so has a modification habit that she has to constantly feed through her (and my) CT characters. She finds little that she likes that is available through Armormech or Synth crafting. Obviously, the good stuff is mostly in CM offerings and for them to sell the crafting gets the ugly brothers and sisters.

At the launch of Makeb, I used my PCs to replace all of my character and companions modifications, brought CT to 450 and had the top level mods, armoring, and ears in no time.

I agree that armormech or synth or armstech are needed to craft augments and kits. But I rarely augment my characters below cap level (usually only when I get a slot crit on implants and ears and then I will shoot out an augment to fill it) and have never got into the pre cap kit and augment market (not sure if I saw a lot of money there).

So to each their own and for me and wifey it is the CT route for now.

Edited by asbalana

I personally would prefer to buy blue quality armour pieces over mod-able pieces anyday, since going the mod-able route leads you to paying hell a lot more in the long run.

For example:

Level 33 Blue Armour Chest piece: 25k

or:

Orange Shell = 5-15k (varies based on player selling it)

Level 33 Blue Armouring = 15k

Level 33 Blue Mod = 10k

Level 31 Blue Enhancement = 15k

In the end, while Going the mod-able route allows you to find the perfect look and stick to it and if you can stomach the crafting, go for cybertech, but cost-wise, it tends to be more better go buy the armour piece itself, instead of the mod-able one, though it all does come down to if you are lucky with the prices on the GTN, I have found some very well priced items on the GTN and mostly its insultingly overpriced.

In the end, most tend to just pick the best short-term profit, instead of the smart move and going long-term.

Funny, I just hit 33 on a new SI. He has scv and ct.

When he was at 32 and at the end of the day, I took ten minutes and sent out his companions to craft nine blue mods and seven armorings. My Arifice, during the ten minutes, was set up to craft nine enhancements, a hilt, and four crystals. Almost all of that was done with mats in the cargo hold supplemented with a few mats from gathering missions for the UT stuff and crystals. I also did the ears in that time and spent another two minutes to send my bio guys out for implants.

Next day, bingo levle 33 and all of that stuff went in. A quick trip to a PC vendor brought my companion fo full current level blue mods (with two of the four crystals in his blasters and happy new ears and implants).

Easy peasy and cheap as dirt.

My wife, fully CM geared though gtn purchases, did the same (although she like purples - like smash monkeys are not OP enough anyway) and she was done in a snap.

PS - I sold the crits on the gtn.

Edited by asbalana