Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why we need a legacy ignore

lightSaberAddiCt
08.25.2019 , 02:50 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
Fair enough -- but beware the law of unintended consequences. The lack of legacy / account ignore is one of the primary, albeit not the only, reason that some of us, including yours truly, often eschew PuGing. I will absolutely never, ever PuG on a tank or healer in SWTOR. I would be far more likely to if legacy / account ignore existed.

I don't care if people think I'm a special snowflake (I'm not -- I'm the most special snowflake of all). I have a very high threshold for incompetence assuming people are open to listening / learning about simple mechanics. I have a very low threshold for d-baggery.

While the kick option is a partial solution, it is incomplete and imperfect. I feel comfortable saying this having played other games where account-wide ignores are in place.

Dasty

P.S. With that said, someone earlier posited the idea of a timeline on the ignore duration so that it would expire. This would allow a 'redemption arc' for d-bags. I'm not opposed to this assuming I could control the parameters. In other words, I could control whether it was a perma, or a couple months, etc. I recognize, though, that would be a pain for the devs so it probably wouldn't be worth the cost to implement.
Dasty I am with you with the low tolerance for D-bags, or incompetents that just spam basic attack, or who don't bother to listen, hell I am probably worse. But GF is GF, and as I stated above, out of 30 instances of GF, I may get one that is with a jerk (not assuming you have had the same experience mind you). But in that instance, I either vote kick, try to finish the FP and then add them to ignore, or in worst case, I leave. But that is a lot different then legacy ignore, which if they added it, with the low population of this game, it would cost subs.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

IoNonSoEVero
08.25.2019 , 03:12 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by DeannaVoyager View Post
If someone would be doing that (which I doubt), the group can decide to continue with a companion, or add that person into ignore so the empty spot won't pop for him.

Someone said it's not a solo game and people should get a lock if they leave a group they don't like. Seriously? This isn't kindergarten: I'm paying for the game, I am allowed to choose which people I play with. Trying to force me into playing with idiots will only make me not use GF at all. The more people choose to only go with mates instead, the lower the pop rates will be. That will hurt the game for sure.
I agree with this. Most of us probably deal with enough d-bags in the real world, at work, commuting, whatever. There shouldn't be a moral obligation to grit one's teeth and put up with them in a game one is paying for that is supposed to be fun and escapism. There have certainly been enough people here and in other threads who have pointed out that dealing with jerks in the game makes many people reluctant to group up with strangers and leads them to either stick to their own closed groups or play solo. One can't press the 'block' button for jerks in the real world most of the time, but in an activity that is supposed to be fun, letting people curate their experiences is necessary IMHO.

lightSaberAddiCt
08.25.2019 , 03:21 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
I agree with this. Most of us probably deal with enough d-bags in the real world, at work, commuting, whatever. There shouldn't be a moral obligation to grit one's teeth and put up with them in a game one is paying for that is supposed to be fun and escapism. There have certainly been enough people here and in other threads who have pointed out that dealing with jerks in the game makes many people reluctant to group up with strangers and leads them to either stick to their own closed groups or play solo. One can't press the 'block' button for jerks in the real world most of the time, but in an activity that is supposed to be fun, letting people curate their experiences is necessary IMHO.
You can't say that just because a couple people have mentioned it on the forums, that that represents the players as a whole. 90% + of players in this game don't post to the forums. Not to mention, that just proves my point about BW's view on the matter. It has been brought up a couple of times, and they have not changed it. Basically, you are asking BW to change the rules for a very small minority of players that would affect the the majority as a whole. I mean feel free to keep posting about it, but I really doubt it will ever change, and I highly doubt they will implement legacy ignore. They have addressed it, and provided a kick option, as well as an ignore option. If the group is so terrible because of one player, ignore them, leave group, and wait 15 minutes to get another. I have been forced to do that a couple of times, and it solves the problem.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

Ellisande
09.13.2019 , 08:36 AM | #44
I don't understand why people feel the need to live in a bubble, closed off from the world to protect themselves from mild inconvenience.
Quote: Originally Posted by cjohnk View Post
You can't add completely arbitrary assumptions on to someone's statement. When a statement is made, take it for what it is not for what it could be if you tack on 7 more words of your own choosing.

PiiTarr
09.13.2019 , 11:42 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellisande View Post
I don't understand why people feel the need to live in a bubble, closed off from the world to protect themselves from mild inconvenience.
I don't understand why someone would make the above statement while having the following quote in their signature:
Quote: Originally Posted by cjohnk
"You can't add completely arbitrary assumptions on to someone's statement. When a statement is made, take it for what it is not for what it could be if you tack on 7 more words of your own choosing."

No one in the thread asked to "live in a bubble, closed off from the world" or described their reasons for wanting a legacy ignore as being due to "mild inconvenience." Those are entirely your own characterizations and are adding "completely arbitrary assumptions on to someone's statement."

Count me among those who would like to see a legacy ignore added to the game. In the real world, there are mechanisms in place for dealing with (or avoiding) people we don't want to be around. Why is it difficult to understand that people would want mechanisms in place to have similar options available to them in a paid online leisure activity?